The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2002, 06:16 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default More alternative transportation

Any sailors out there?? I mean REAL sailors, the kind that use sails?Its Opening day for sailing on The Bay and and , in conjunctiion with his post war party spirit(33years and going strong!,) the lrrpster's going sailing--no, not on my usual gala Cal20 superyacht,who wants to party by theirself? Todays a special day, I'm going on a Swan54, jist like society---nooooo, the lrrpster is noooot the dishwasher.
Ive ben sailing since I was 13, this is another good(?)effect of Boy Scouts.
Started out on El Toros, a little 8 footer, then moved to the harder stuff(its addictive)
ive owned several boats over th years, the biggest being a columbia 26, currntly a Cal20.
I love sailing and being on and in the water especially the peace and solitude, being there with God and the elements. in re a previous conversation, I love the feeling that I can throw up the sail and go anywhere free, its Gods free gift if I can figure out how to use it. And like motorcycling, its not so much getting there, its HOW you get there thats fun.
I love the feeling I can harness nature for my own ends, not that I control the wind, but I can use it as it is. You can't control the wind but you can set your sails. But having Mr E Rude trailing behind works also in case Mother nature frts in our face once more

opening days a big party, boats from all over, a traffic jam, horns honking, people throwing watr balloons--usually I don't go out that day but someone else is driving, all I have to do is party and watch the SF downtown go by, Angel Island, the Golden Gate, Alcatraz
(side note--they ought to tear that ugly old prison down and put something nice there!!It really makes the place look ugly. Maybe another Statue of Liberty or St Francis, its the perfect place. At least paint the place and put in some trees and landscape)
Anyway, I'm off to stride the deck in the storm, bounding the main before the mast with a cheery Yo Ho Ho to all and sundry.
(whistles the Popeye theme, dances a hornpipe)
James

Happy just to be alive
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2002, 06:56 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Went Sailing Once.

A friend took me sailing in his little sail boat. We had nice breezes, went up and down the coast with ease. All of a sudden the wind went dead. No wind at all. We stopped. The sea went calm. We didn't have a motor, or paddles or anything. We just set there. If only I had had a fishing pole or something but we just sat there. Took us a couple of hours to go quarter of a mile. Finally a little breeze came up and we went in. A strange experience.

Keith

P.S. I was late in taking my wife out to dinner that night. That was the most unpleasant thing of all. All so I sunburned my legs.

Old 04-28-2002, 06:59 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Patience and trust in God

thats where I learned it--If I'm a servant of God doing Gods Will, I'll get there in Gods good time.
I'm not joking about this. This is where I learn patience and acceptance of Gods Will
A Great Sunday to you Keith, God Bless
James

Happy just to be alive, Thanks to the One!
Old 04-28-2002, 11:12 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Hillbilly sailor

My sole experience sailing was when the scout troop went on a 50 mile canoe trip in the Boundary Waters area of Minnesota. Spectacular place to you Minnesotans! We were on Pine Lake and it was June so of course the weather turned bad and started sleeting. the lake was so choppy we couldn't go out for fear of capsizing. We lashed our four canoes together beside one another and tied a poncho to two paddles and proceeded to sail down the lake. One of the several times I have about froze to death in June. We are going back up there in 2003. Crazy Larry convinced the boys there was a line through the middle of Pine Lake to show the border between Canada and the US. My 24 year old son still says he saw it.
Old 04-29-2002, 08:24 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Cool Cape

On the cape lots of people have sailing boats. Been on a bunch of them. However it is or can be hard work. Plus when someone tells me to sit on the port side and lean towards the water I always think their going to turn the rudder and leave me wet.

I like the top sail scooners or brigs where you are a passanger and can lend a hand but only if you want to. Those boats usually have a wet bar and a mess, which is never a bad idea.

No idea why but standing on the bow when the sea is a little ruff, getting that ocean spray on me is a real rush. Maybe it's a way of saying to the sea, you aint kicking my butt, not today.

Stay healthy, stay sane,
Andy
Old 04-29-2002, 09:28 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Gimme yr opinion

I think its ugly as hell and bad Karma, too, looks like they kill jews in it or something. it was only there for 25 years--Why does SF have to be blighted for ever by this buttugly thing?? just to satisfy the publice Goulish curioooosity--I think a statue of Liberty would be nice or esp Saiint Francis, the patron saint of The City, you see them all around.
but even just a nice pretty park would be nice.
tear the SOB down!!

James
Old 04-29-2002, 09:36 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default While I'm messing around with this

Here's a pic of me Ive never posted before--I always think of it as my take on the 1000 yd stare. Thats Camp Enari, Pleiku, Ron, Dragon Mountain in the background
Old 04-29-2002, 09:51 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default OK, last one. I'm selling this bridge,$100mil/obo/trade

You made a big mistake making photavailablity on this site-hehe-Ive got a digital camera.
This'll be the last one for now-the ol lrrpster, on deck yesterday, contemplating the rough life of a semi employed Vietnam veteran. Life is as tough as you want to make it on yrself!

james

happy just to be alive!!!

Ps: the tower on the hill above my right shoulder is referred to locally as Roachclip Of the Gods
Old 04-29-2002, 07:03 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

James,
That's what you were wearing yesterday? You can leave that long-sleeved hooded thingy at home. You won't be needing it over here this weekend.

chilidog