Old 04-28-2002, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Songs

Andy

Registered to :Aug 23, 2001
Posted 08-09-2001 at 14:12
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yesterday, I picked up a video tape called the "Songs of the Civil War". It was done by Ken Burns, the PBS Civil War. What an interesting tape!

Not being really interesting in traditional Southern music (sorry 'bout that), I had never heard of Hoyt Axton, that man can sing!
He sings the Civil War version of the Yellow Rose of Texas. Did everyone know that song was about a black woman??? There's nothing wrong with that, it just blew me away. Seems like the writer of the song felt Gen Joe Johnston was quite a guy but I don't think he cared for Gen Hood.

There is a very nice version of Marching Through Georgia. Great pictures of Gen. W.T. Sherman, a true national hero.

There is another song on that tape that applies to Viet Nam just as well as the Civil War. It's titled, The Vacant Chair, very sad.

Honestly, I was just a little disappointed. God forgive me, I've always liked, Bonnie Blue Flag, which is not on the tape.

The Southern Soldier Boy, Aura Lee, Shiloh, Lorena, Old Unreconstructed, and Better Times Are Comming are a few of the other interesting songs.

Stay healthy,
Andy
PS. Shelby Foote explains some information regarding a few of the songs. I could listen to that guy talk all day long.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Profile Email Qoute
chilidog

Registered to :Aug 22, 2001
Posted 08-09-2001 at 14:45
Andy, I would like to hear more about what they said about the Yellow Rose of Texas. As a lad, in Texas History, we were taught that the real Yellow Rose of Texas was a woman of Hispanic descent that helped Sam Houston before the battle of San Jacinto. This was the final battle that won independence for Texas. She supposedly charmed Generalismo Santa Anna shortly before the battle. This took place 25 years before the Civil War.
That's what we were taught, but like you said, everything doesn't always match.

chilidog

Profile Email Qoute
Tamaroa

Registered to :Aug 21, 2001
Posted 09-09-2001 at 19:39
You can easily get buried in many details and different renditions of Civil War Songs. Here are some albums that I would highly recommend you listen to:

The Columbia Legacy series, The Confederacy, The Union. Both published during the CW centennial. There are some heart breaking photos and letters printed in those volumes.

Some were fairly funny as well like "The Invalid Corps," But listen to Somebodies Darling or Just Before the Battle Mother. If you don't start to tear up you are not a real buff.

There is also the Mercury Series called the Sounds of Conflict. All orginal instruments were used, great band music, I tell you. That one was also produced during the CW centennial.

Contemporary albums that give you a very good flavor of the war include White Mansions and The Civil War soundtrack to the defunct Broadway play.

My favorite of all is "I'm a good old Rebel", Hoyt Axton does a great job with that one.

P.S. And by the way the Yellow Rose of Texas was indeed a mulatto woman.

Great songs all of them, even the Yankee ones.

Profile www Qoute
arrow

Posted 10-09-2001 at 04:54
From the handwritten transcript (c.1836), stored in the archives at the University of Texas, Austin:

There's a yellow rose in Texas, that I am going to see,
No other darky [sic] knows her, no darky only me
She cryed [sic] so when I left her it like to broke my heart,
And if I ever find her, we nevermore will part.

[Chorus]

She's the sweetest rose of color this darky ever knew,
Her eyes are bright as diamonds,they sparkle like the dew;
You may talk about your Dearest May, and sing of Rosa Lee,
But the Yellow Rose of Texas beats the belles of Tennessee.

When the Rio Grande is flowing, the starry skies are bright,
She walks along the river in the quite [sic] summer night:
She thinks if I remember, when we parted long ago,
I promised to come back again, and not to leave her so. [Chorus]

Oh now I'm going to find her, for my heart is full of woe,
And we'll sing the songs togeather [sic], that we sung so long ago
We'll play the bango gaily, and we'll sing the songs of yore,
And the Yellow Rose of Texas shall be mine forevermore. [Chorus]

More than 25 years later, the lyrics were changed. "Soldier" replaced "darky." And the first line of the chorus was also changed to read, "She's the sweetest little flower...."

In 1864, General John B. Hood's retreating Confederate Army was shattered in defeat. As his men moved southward in dismay, many thought the war may be over and a fourth stanza was added:

And now I'm going southward, for my heart is full of woe,
I'm going back to Georgia, to see my Uncle Joe.
You may talk about your Beauregard, and sing of Bobbie Lee,
But the gallant Hood of Texas played hell in Tennessee. [Chorus]

Some versions have the third line changed to read, "...and sing of General Lee," - an obvious reference to the Confederate General Robert E. Lee.

[Note: Special thanks to Labdog@ix.netcom.com for the historical perspective regarding the post-Civil War changes to the lyri

Profile Qoute
arrow

Posted 10-09-2001 at 05:01
Originally conceived as a folksong in early Colonial Texas history, the first recorded copy of the Yellow Rose of Texas was handwritten on a piece of plain paper circa 1836. Historical records indicate this copy was most probably transcribed either shortly before or just after General Sam Houston lead his brigade of Texas loyalists against the army of General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna at the Battle of San Jacinto on April 21, 1836.

The folksongs lyrics [ see table ] tell of a black American (presumably a soldier) who left his sweetheart (a yellow rose) and yearns to return to her side. Yellow was a term given to Americans of mixed race in those days - most commonly mulattos. And Rose was a popular feminine nineteenth century name; frequently used in songs and poems as a symbolic glorification of young womanhood. [Turner]

The original transcription was poorly made and full of spelling errors. This would indicate the transcriber was somewhat uneducated but possibly influential, as it was signed with three embellished initials. This copy is now housed in the archives at the University of Texas in Austin.

Although no name is given as the songs composer in any of the records, a hint may come from the fourth line in the chorus which infers the soldier is from Tennessee. Unfortunately, many men from Tennessee moved to (or were brought to) Texas during its colonization and war of independence.

In 1858, the first copyrighted edition of the song was published in New York. The cover states the song was Composed and Arranged Expressly for Charles H. Brown by J.K. It was common in the nineteenth century to keep ghost composers secretive, especially if the songs had slave folksong origins. Hence, we dont know who J.K. was, nor are we certain he was even the composer. And were not likely to find out.

Soon after it was published, the song increased in worldwide popularity and was sung by minstrels both in this country and Europe. As the American Civil War began, it was adopted as a marching song by soldiers everywhere - most often, as you might expect, by those soldiers from Texas. But since it referred to (and was to be sung by) a black American soldier, the songs lyrics were changed. By the early 1860s, the term darky [sic] was replaced with soldier, and the first line of the chorus was changed to Shes the sweetest little flower....
Finally, in 1864 with the end of the war nearing, a fourth stanza was added to reflect the dismay and hopelessness of General John B. Hoods retreating Confederate Army after a disastrous Tennessee campaign. [Abernathy] Some of his troops were so disoriented after the loss, they actually thought the war may over and started returning home - singing, of course, Yellow Rose of Texas.

So then, who was Yellow Rose? The answer comes from historical records which tell us the songs original title was Emily, the Maid of Morgans Point.? [Turner]
The Legend

Emily of Morgans Point refers to an indentured servant, somewhat forgotten in history for her heroism during the Texas war of independence from Mexico. Some contend the legend is a myth - not a part of history. [Abernathy] The historical evidence, however, indicates otherwise.

The legend begins in 1830 with the immigration to Texas of one James Morgan, an entrepreneur from Philadelphia with extensive holdings. Morgan was eager to capitalize on the cheap land and business opportunities in the Mexican colony which would ultimately become Texas. He formed several partnerships with New York speculators for land deals in the fledgling colony. However, Texas did not permit slavery and Morgan had 16 he wanted to bring with him. So to circumvent the law, he converted his slaves into 99-year indentured servants.

In the years that followed, a scheme was conceived to flood Texas with non-Mexicans from the United States. To capitalize on that movement, Morgan returned to New York in 1835 to recruit more workers for his settlement. One such ?migr? was a twenty year old woman named Emily D. West - an eastern import with extraordinary intelligence and sophistication.

Emily West was mulatto and possibly from Bermuda, since Morgan brought many of his workers from this Atlantic island. According to some records, West volunteered to be indentured, most probably to escape the prejudice against her mixed race. And, as was the custom for an indentured worker at the time, she changed her last name to that of Morgans.

By the following year in 1836, the war for Texas independence from Mexico was fully engaged and led by General Sam Houston. James Morgans now successful settlement, New Washington, was strategically located near the mouth of the San Jacinto River. He freely gave his famous oranges, various grains and fattened cattle to Houstons men. One particularly strategic parcel of land named Morgans Point (so called to this day) extended into San Jacinto Bay. From Morgans Point, flatboats were loaded with supplies for Houston.

Thus established as a friend of Texas, James Morgan was appointed a Colonel. And in March, 1836, he was assigned to the Port of Galveston (some 30 miles away) to guard Texas refugees and fugitive government officials. So that Houstons supply line would continue, he left Emily West Morgan in charge of loading flatboats destined to feed the army.

By the afternoon of April 18, 1836, General Santa Anna had moved his men into position to attack the Texas rebels he knew to be nearby. On his approach was New Washington - now mostly deserted as its inhabitants fled before his marching army. One of those that remained behind, however, was Emily, and Santa Anna was immediately struck by her beauty.

The next morning, after his men helped themselves to the crops and cattle, Santa Anna set about securing one more spoil of war - Emily. He captured her and a young yellow boy named Turner loading yet another flatboat headed for Houstons army. Santa Anna cajoled Turner to lead his Mexican scouts to the Houston encampment. But as they were departing, Emily convinced Turner to escape from Santa Anna?s men and rush to Houstons camp to inform him of the Mexican generals arrival.

General Santa Anna believed himself quite the ladies man. And although still married to a woman in Mexico, he remarried one of his teenaged captives from his Texas campaign. But he had been without his most recent bride for two weeks now. Emily looked like she would make a very suitable replacement.

Thus, he ordered the immediate setting up of his encampment on the plains of the San Jacinto despite protestations from his colonels who insisted the location violated all principles of wartime strategy. And they were right. Houston, upon hearing of Santa Annas location from Turner, moved his troops into the woods within a scant mile of the beguiled general?s headquarters.

On the morning of April 21, Houston climbed a tree to spy into the Mexican camp. There he saw Emily preparing a champagne breakfast for Santa Anna, and reportedly remarked, I hope that slave girl makes him [Santa Anna] neglect his business and keeps him in bed all day. [Garner]

By afternoon, the great final battle for the independence of Texas was engaged. The Mexican army was caught completely by surprise, and Santa Anna was literally caught with his pants down.? (Reports at the time said he was caught running away from the battle with his studded silk shirt opened and concealed under a dead soldier?s blue smock - hurriedly put on during his attempted escape.)

Emily West Morgan survived the battle and made her way back to New Washington. Two days later, James Morgan, who had not heard of the battle, returned from Galveston and Emily told him of her ordeal and the outcome of the last great battle. The colonel was so impressed with Emilys heroism, he repealed her indenture and gave her a passport back to New York - the final chapter of which we have no record.

We do know, however, Morgan made certain everyone knew of Emilys heroism. He told everyone he encountered or anyone who would listen, and recorded the story in his journals. Morgan kept a running commentary on Texas affairs with Samuel Swartwout, one of Houstons friends in New York City. [Wisehart] He also told his story to an English friend and ethnologist, William Bollaert, who recorded the story in every detail. [Turner]

There are some in recent history who have suggested Emilys efforts were made because she was attracted to the opulence and good looks of the Mexican general. But the accounts from those who were there indicate she was a loyal Texian who did what she could for the independence of Texas. [Turner]

Today, the heroic acts of the young woman from New York are still reverently commemorated by the members of the Knights of the Yellow Rose of Texas each April 21 at San Jacinto.

The Rose

To answer the questions, Is there a Yellow Rose of Texas? and if so What is it?, the answer is there was a Yellow Rose. But it was not a what it was a who - Emily West Morgan.

References:

Abernathy, Francis Edward. Singin? Texas. E. Hearst Press, Dallas, TX. 1983.
Beales, Peter. Classic Roses. Henry Holt & Co., New York, NY. 1985.
Cairns, Thomas, Ed. Modern Roses 10. The American Rose Society, Shreveport, LA. 1993.
Druitt, Liz and G. Michael Shoup. Landscaping with Antique Roses. Taunton Press; Newtown, CT. 1992.
Garner, Claude W. Sam Houston: Texas Giant. Naylor Co., San Antonio, TX. 1969.
Phillips, Roger and Martyn Rix. The Quest for the Rose. Random House, New York, NY. 1993.
Turner, Martha Anne. Yellow Rose of Texas: Her Saga and Her Song. Shoal Creek Publishers, Austin, TX. 1976.
Wisehart, M. K. Sam Houston: American Giant. Robert B. Luce, Inc., Washington, DC. 1962.

Profile Qoute
Andy

Posted 10-09-2001 at 13:31
Chilidag:
What Arrow said.
Yes, we were taught that the woman Santa Anna was with an at the beginning of the Battle of San Jacinto was a malatto. Course those were northern history books. We know the song changed to it's modern version but what Hoyt Axton sang was obviously an "end of the war" version and something I had not heard before.

The begining of the second verse says:
"She's the sweetest rose of color, this soldier ever knew." That was the line that blew my mind. The singer was obviously a southern soldier, not black. I sort of thought mixed marriages were frowned on back then. I knew some of the most popular hookers, particularly in New Orleans seemed to be of mixed race, but the song goes on the says, "...We never more will part." As in marriage - just struck me as odd.

OK, forget the social and sexual part. The last verse in the Hoyt Axton version goes like this:
"Now I'm goin' Southward, for my heart is full of woe,
I'm going back to Georgia to find my Uncle Joe."
(Seems I remember Gen. Joe Johnston was refered to by his troops as Uncle Joe. Also, as you know he was removed from command in Georgia and replaced by J.B. Hood, who Sherman wooped!)
The song goes on:
"You may talk about your Beauregard, or sing of General Lee.
But the gallant Hood of Texas, played Hell in Tennessee."
I can really hear troops, who got soundly defeated while under Gen. Hood at Franklin and Nashville, singing that last verse and singing it in a very sarcastic manner. I could also hear them singing it after a few pulls off a jug of 'Old be joyful'.

Arrow is amazing. I know lots of guys who search out the sexual side of war, but Arrow's vast knowledge in the field is unbelievable! Arrow, I knew there was yet another reason why I liked you!

Stay healthy,
Andy

Profile Email Qoute
chilidog

Registered to :Aug 22, 2001
Posted 10-09-2001 at 14:43
Andy, I can just hear the soldiers singing that last verse. Have you read "Company Aytch" by Sam Watkins? He mentioned soldiers doing such stuff. When aides rode by, they would call them "yeller dogs" and everybody would start whistling for dogs.

chilidog

Profile Email Qoute
Keith_Hixson

Posted 10-09-2001 at 16:32
Was the old folk song from the civil war.
"Tenting tonight, tenting tonight" on the tape?

Profile Email Qoute
Andy

Posted 10-09-2001 at 17:14
Chili: No, I haven't read "Company Aytch". Used to read a lot of Civil War stuff, but after reading everything by Shelby Foote I'm just about Civil War'ed out. I'll watch or listen but really getting into books on that subject, nope.

Keith: Sorry no tents. No camping out. Well, Sherman and his boys did do a little camping out in Georgia. However, "Run, Mourner, Run" is a pretty interesting Gospel song. You know, one of those church type songs.

Stay healthy,
Andy

Profile Email Qoute
arrow

Posted 10-09-2001 at 19:37
Search??? Key in http://www.google.com and get ready for a ride. Wish I could take credit for all that research but it took me all of a few minutes. Try it with key words yellow rose or yellow rose of texas. The secret of research is to let somebody else do it for you. I don't know if you have used google before but if you haven't you will from now on.

What I really loved about the story is her "cool" under fire. She didn't flinch. She kept him busy until the troops were right up on him. The absolute epitome of "cool".

stay tuned for more exciting discovery from google.com...arrow>>>>>

Profile Qoute
arrow

Posted 11-09-2001 at 01:54
Andy regard sex and war have you read the account of David and Uriah? II Samuel Chapter 11 & 12 esp 11:11. Uriah had more wisdom and more honor than his king for when enticed to take his ease by David he replied,

"the ark, and Israel, and Judah, abide in tents; and my lord Joab, and the servants of my God, are encamped in the open fields; shall I then go into my house, to eat and to drink, and to lie with my wife? As you live and as your soul lives,I will not do this thing."

A true warrior Uriah. It sounds as though there was more than one "Uriah" to warn Santa Anna but his lust and greed for one more "spoil of war" turned the battle and gained independance for Texas.

Food for thought...arrow>>>>

Profile Qoute
Andy

Posted 11-09-2001 at 02:40
That is so very weird, weird that you would mention that story.
On the first page of my Bible, I have the name Uriah written in red letters. Every time I think someone is really messing with me, I just look at that name and say, "Don't mean nothin'.

David was blessed, but the SOB should have been shot! I know, I've read Psalm 51.

Stay healthy,
Andy

Profile Email Qoute
arrow

Posted 11-09-2001 at 03:22
Uriah has always been my hero. David is of course our example of God's grace and mercy. Man, am I glad we have that example. Ah but Uriah must be God's example of everything that is good and honorable in regard to loyalty to his God, his nation, and his men. I've wonder many times if Bathsheba had long and restless nights knowing that she was sleeping with the one that murdered this good man Uriah.

Food for thought....arrow>>>>>
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2002, 03:58 PM

Send a message via ICQ to jdpolaski Send a message via AIM to jdpolaski Send a message via Yahoo to jdpolaski
Default Yellow Rose of Texas

Just to let you know there were 3 versions of this song before the final version was done. Here are the url's for them one the history of the song the other the lyrics. http://www.markw.com/yelrose.htm and http://www.markw.com/yrlyrics.htmhttp://www.markw.com/yelrose.htm These sites do work I just checked them. It explains all of it.
Old 05-07-2002, 07:31 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default the real thing

JD,
We were taught in elementary school "the real" version. Have you ever noticed how everybody has "the real" version and nobody ever has the "other" version of anything? I don't think that our teachers knew that there were any other versions.

Its good to see a new face on the board. Welcome aboard!

chilidog