The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Civil War

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2002, 08:30 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Tamaroa Where's My $10,000?

I thought you were giving away money. That's the only reason I posted.

Andy has posted twice but since he thinks Hooker was a great general I have scheduled him for counseling.

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2002, 08:18 PM

Default Sorry, Andy,

Didn't mean you thought Hooker was a good CG. His record speaks for itself.
As far as cemetaries go, you people on the East Coast have a leg up on the rest of us. Weren't nobody much here in the early 1700's but some Frenchmen, Illinois and whatever was left of the Fox tribe after the Miami and Sauk got through with them (Fox couldn't get along with anybody). Oh yeah, the Iriquois put their two cents in; the Fox managed to tick them off too.
Okay, wrong forum. If I really had 10,000 bucks to give, I'ld go with usmcsgt65. Before Manasses is turned into a mall and Cold Harbor into a theme park.
This is edited: Can you say Fredicksburg?
Old 06-01-2002, 10:21 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Lightbulb Tim

You have to understand that I never get angry on this site (unless people say that Massachusetts residents talk with an accent, it's the rest of you that do.) I re-read my post and did come across as someone who might have an attitude. You have to understand there are folks on this site I've been talking with for over 3 years. Some of them think the South didn't really loose the Great Rebellion on '61-'65. You'll notice some of them southern boys sign their names as R.E. something or J.E.B. something.

The mention of Generals like Hooker and Burnside are somewhat of an embarrassment to us New Englanders and usually cause me to comment on Ewell or Hood (when he was out west). Really didn't mean to sound like I was jumping on you, just a conditioned response.

Stay healthy, and God bless W.T. Sherman,
Andy
Old 06-01-2002, 09:39 PM

Default Andy,

No sweat, I didn't take it that way at all. And Pope was a bit of an embarassment too, but against people like Lee and Jackson and N.B.Forrest (I think JEB was a tad over-rated), you run a real strong chance of getting embarrassed. 'Scuse me, gotta go pahk the cah.
Just a P.S.: JEB did all right with Jackson's boys at Chancellorsville, but as far as cavalry went, he didn't have a whole lot of competion in the first couple years.
Old 06-02-2002, 06:43 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Cool Well, well

There's a man on this site who be bad mouthing old JEB. Now Tim, keep your head down. If any of those southern boys read this thread rocks are about to come your way.

I agree with you on two other issues, Pope was pathetic and Forrest was a great general. Forest was not much of a man, and that Ft. Pillow thing could well be seen as a war crime, but his ability to lead men in the field - amazing. Did you know the German War College used Forrest as their bright shining example when then came up with field tactics for their Panzer Divisions?

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 06-02-2002, 01:36 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Arrrgggghhh!
I heard that! I'll kindly refer ya'll to the post "Ole Jeb" further back in this forum. Don't forget to include "Beast Butler" in your list of dastardly yankees during the "War of Northern Aggression."

chilidog

Tim, you sign your posts "9th." Were you in "The Walking Dead" or "Hell in a Helmet?" I read the book about Operation Buffalo in '67 by Keith Nolan. That was a tough time.
Old 06-03-2002, 12:57 AM

Default Chili-dog.

You got the first rock upside my head - and pretty much on target. "Spoons" did get kinda high-handed down in Nawleans.
Maybe one of those chamberpots got him and not a junior officer; generals get kinda testy about that kind of thing. (Hmmm? could be a chance that there was an enlisted man in blue on the other end - you know how they feel about pompous officers?).
9th stands for 9th Engineer Batt., 1t MarDiv, at ChuLai from Mar'67 'til June"68.
And. Suh! I will pick up the gaunlett and defend my position. JEB was feathers in his hat and chivalry and Charge of the Light Brigade. NFB understood mobility and shock - he was the first modern cavalry commander. You wanna stretch some points, he would be a great mech div. commander and even a great paratroop commander. Brandy Station would have been a whole lot diffferent with NFB in charge.
Old 06-03-2002, 08:02 AM

If you want to talk about a big blot on the Union side...
How about the "Beast" Butler down in New Orleans..
Now there was someone that even good fiction writers couldn't make up. Happy Posting!