The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Civil War

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-04-2004, 05:54 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

One more thing is to see if you can get your hands on a couple of Civil war music albums. that will really get you in the mood. Listen to songs such as "the vacant chair" (about a empty seat set for a young lieutenant at a holiday meal, who was KIA), Somebody's Darling, Was my Brother in the Battle, Tenting tonight, Just Before the Battle Mother, All Quiet Along the Potomac Tonight. They are sentimental, maudlin and can be real tear jerkers. But those guys had a right to be sentimental when your typical regiment suffered 30% casualties. Columbia Records puts out a series known as Legacy records. There are two; The Confederacy and the Union which were still available a couple years ago. I strongly urge you to listen to their music. It is quite an experience.

Bill

King John 2.1.466
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2004, 12:53 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Question Isn't?

John,

Isn't Killer Angels an Oxymoron?

Come to think about it. There was the death angel.

I guess Killer Angels is an Oxymoron after all.

Keith
Old 02-04-2004, 02:58 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Thank you to each of you. Wow! You gave me a lot to choose from along with some very good advice. I will lay the foundaton with Cattons books as they were recommended by the Banjer Picker, Keith, and Bill.The next step will be to read Nevin's scholarly study.

Iwill have to confessmy biggest temptation will be resisting going straight to the memoirs and letters as they represent in my mind thebest of every history lesson.

I have to know Banjer Pickerwhat book that letter from Sullivan Balloos cameout of. Yes indeed they did know how to turn a phrase. I found Charles Frazier writing to be closer to that style than any other author I have read in recent times.

LT I read Killer Angels some years ago and went to see the movie Gettysburg. You are right brother it is a book that once read you don't forget.

Bill thank you for the offer of books from your own collection but I would rather seethem go toa library wherestudents doing research can access them at will.

Larry the same thank you goes to you. However, my plans are to clear as much from the decks as possible in the next few months so I can go see America one more time.

Chili you can count on me reading your suggestions as I found my heart in sympathy with the cause of the South more often than not. I will try to keep an open mind but tend to agree with the character of Inman in the book Cold Mountain when he noted, "All I know is anyone thinkingFederals are willing to die to set loose slaves has an overly merciful view of mankind." Cold Mountain page 217

Thank you all again for helping me out. Between this study and my study of Native American History it should keep me out of trouble and off the streets.

Peace on your paths today and always,

Arrow>>>>>>>

ps. Bill I look forward to finding the music also.

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 02-04-2004, 08:17 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Ain't nothing getting you out of trouble . Thank you for getting me here. Peace.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:44 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

LT....

Angels on your six tomorrow...

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 02-06-2004, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by little sparrow

I have to know Banjer Picker what book that letter from Sullivan Balloos came out of.
Grabbed that one off the internet. It's pretty famous on account of it being so sad, so it's pretty well known. I first heard it in the Ken Burns Civil War series on PBS.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:31 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Thank you Desdichado,it's a letter once readanyone withhalf a heart will remember. There is a picture in my home of another young man in uniform with words thatnot only comfort but direct me when my compass gets a little off kilter.

Peace on your path today,

Arrow

Old 02-07-2004, 09:39 PM

Now that I've thunk on it a while, there is one book I'd recommend. "With My Face to the Enemy - Perspectives on the Civil War". It's a collection of short essays by a whole bunch of notables on different aspects of things. Some are just stories of battles, some are personal, some are strategic, some political, some social. Pretty good variety and most of the contributors are top notch. The title comes from the last words attributed to one officer at Gettysburg, who said, "Major, tell my father I died with my face to the enemy."
Old 02-07-2004, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

Hearts in Conflict: A One-Volume History of the Civil War

Curt Anders, August 1999

Probably not as involved as some of the books posted but I liked the overview.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:40 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

You all have been great. Thank you so much if you think of any others just post them up here. I'm putting them all on a floppy disk for safe keeping.

Peace,

Arrow>>>>>>