The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Civil War

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2002, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Confederate Generals Killed in the Civil War

The following list provides the names of the Confederate general officers killed in the American Civil War, the battle in which they received the wounds, and is organized by the position they held in the Confederate forces.

ARMY COMMANDERS

General Albert Sydney Johnston Killed at Shiloh.

CORPS COMMANDERS

Lieutenant-General Thomas A. Jackson Killed at Chancellorsville.
Lieutenant-General Leonidas Polk , Killed at Pine Mountain.
Lieutenant-General Ambrose P. Hill, Killed at Fall of Petersburg.

DIVISION COMMANDERS

Major-General William D. Pender Killed at Gettysburg.
Major-General J. E. B. Stewart, Killed at Yellow Tavern.
Major-General W. H. Walker, Killed at Atlanta.
Major-General Robert E. Rodes, Killed at Opequon.
Major-General Stephen D. Ramseur, Killed at Cedar Creek.
Major-General Patrick R. Cleburne, Killed at Franklin.

BRIGADE COMMANDERS

Brigadier-General John Pegram, Killed at Hatcher's Run.
Brigadier-General Robert S. Garnett Killed at Cheat Mountain.
Brigadier-General Barnard E. Bee, Killed at First Bull Run.
Brigadier-General Francis S. Bartow, Killed at First Bull Run.
Brigadier-General Felix K. Zollicoffer, Killed at Mill Springs.
Brigadier-General Ben. McCulloch, Killed at Pea Ridge.
Brigadier-General James Mcintosh, Killed at Pea Ridge
Brigadier-General William Y. Slack, Killed at Pea Ridge.
Brigadier-General Adley H. Gladden, Killed at Shiloh.
Brigadier-General Robert Hatton, Killed at Fair Oaks.
Brigadier-General Turner Ashby, Killed at Harrisonburg.
Brigadier-General Richard Griffith, Killed at Savage Station.
Brigadier-General Charles S. Winder, Killed at Cedar Mountain.
Brigadier-General Samuel Garland, Jr, Killed at South Mountain.
Brigadier-General George B. Anderson, Killed at Antietam.
Brigadier-General L. O'B. Branch, Killed at Antietam.
Brigadier-General William E. Starke, Killed at Antietam.
Brigadier-General Henry Little, Killed at Iuka.
Brigadier-General Thomas R. Cobb, Killed at Fredericksburg.
Brigadier-General Maxcy Gregg, Killed at Fredericksburg.
Brigadier-General James E. Rains, Killed at Stone's River.
Brigadier-General Roger W. Hanson, Killed at Stone's River.
Brigadier-General E. D. Tracy, Killed at Port Gibson.
Brigadier-General E. F. Paxton, Killed at Chancellorsville.
Brigadier-General Lloyd Tilghman, Killed at Champion's Hill.
Brigadier-General Martin E. Green, Killed at Vicksburg.
Brigadier-General William Barksdale, Killed at Gettysburg.
Brigadier-General Lewis Armistead, Killed at Gettysburg.
Brigadier-General Richard B. Garnett, Killed at Gettysburg.
Brigadier-General Paul J. Semmes, Killed at Gettysburg.
Brigadier-General J. J. Pettigrew, Killed at Falling Waters.
Brigadier-General Preston Smith , Killed at Chickamauga.
Brigadier-General Benjamin H. Helm, Killed at Chickamauga.
Brigadier-General James Deshler, Killed at Chickamauga.
Brigadier-General Carnot Posey, Killed at Bristoe Station.
Brigadier-General Alfred Mouton, Killed at Sabine Cross Roads.
Brigadier. General Thomas Green, Killed at Pleasant Hill.
Brigadier-General W. R. Scurry, Killed at Jenkins Ferry.
Brigadier-General John M. Jones, Killed at Wilderness.
Brigadier-General Micah Jenkins, Killed at Wilderness.
Brigadier-General L. A. Stafford, Killed at Wilderness.
Brigadier-General Abner Perrin, Killed at Spotsylvania.
Brigadier-General Julius Daniel, Killed at Spotsylvania.
Brigadier-General James B. Gordon, Killed at Yellow Tavern.
Brigadier-General George Doles, Killed at Bethesda Church.
Brigadier-General W. E. Jones, Killed at Piedmont.
Brigadier-General C. H. Stevens, Killed at Peach Tree Creek.
Brigadier-General Samuel Benton, Killed at Ezra Church.
Brigadier-General John R. Chambliss, Jr, Killed at Deep Bottom.
Brigadier-General J. C. Saunders, Killed at Weldon Railroad.
Brigadier-General Robert H. Anderson, Killed at Jonesboro.
Brigadier-General John Morgan, Killed at Greenville, Tenn.
Brigadier-General Archibald C. Godwin, Killed at Opequon.
Brigadier-General John Dunnovant, Killed at Vaughn Road.
Brigadier-General John Gregg " Darbytown Road.
Brigadier-General Stephen Elliott, Jr., Killed at Petersburg.
Brigadier-General Victor J. Girardey, Killed at Petersburg.
Brigadier-General Archibald Gracie, Jr. Killed at Petersb'g Trenches.
Brigadier-General John Adams, Killed at Franklin.
Brigadier-General Oscar F. Strahl, Killed at Franklin.
Brigadier-General S. R. Gist, Killed at Franklin.
Brigadier-General H. B. Granberry, Killed at Franklin.
Brigadier-General James Dearing, Killed at High Bridge.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2003, 01:51 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

David, thanks for posting this list...there is a fairly old book I once read (and owned) which showed the commanders on both sides with their photographs and campaigns, places of graduation if any, dates of commission and the rest. Don't often see the history from this side...appreciate you doing it.
Bluehawk
Old 01-08-2003, 07:02 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Thanks !

for the great list ! Where did you get it ? I have got to start working on My Civil War library again. I have neglected it while working on The Ballantine Illustrated History of a Violent Century series of books ( 153 diff. ) from the 60s and 70s. Generals A. S. Johnston, Cleburne, and Strahl were all in my great-grandfather's chain of command at one time or another. He served with Co. F 9th TN Inf. C.S.A. and Co. A ( Neely's )14th ( also called 13th ) TN Cavalry C.S.A. and was at Shiloh, Corinth, Memphis TN, Bolivar TN, The Battle of Atlanta, and a 3 day cavalry engagement in MS near the Gulf whose name slips my mind at the time. I discovered that my great-great-grandfather on my mother's side, who was from TN also and was a Yankee, fought against my great-grandfather's Confederate cavalry unit in this battle. My lone ( so far ) Yankee soldier relative was captured a few years before this and paroled soon after....
My mother said she now understands why that part of the family was sort of shunned. She was born in 1924....

The real surprise is that Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest's name wasn't on this list. I forget how many horses were shot out from under him, how many times he was wounded, and of course there is the instance where he was caught in the midst of a bunch of Yankee horse soldiers by himself and fought his way out....He was my great-grandfather's commander also.

Larry
Old 01-08-2003, 07:59 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Forrestt had 31 horses shot out from under him and killed 30 men in hand to hand combat. as a result, he used to say that he was "a horse ahead." The last incident you are referring to, Forrest was surrounded by union troops on all sides. His junior officers inquired of him the possibility of surrender and he replied , I'm paraphrasing here do not remember the exact quote. We'll split in half and charge both ways. Well he did and they broke out.

He is the only man in either army to rise from Private to Lt. Gen. in the course of the war. I admire him greatly for his prowess in combat. There is of course that dark side at Fort Pillow which no one seems to be able to explain to anyone's satisfaction. Nevertheless, I have a signed David Wright portrait of Forrest hanging in the vestibule of my home.

Bill

King John 2.1.466
Old 01-09-2003, 05:51 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

After the war didn't he move to Pulaski , Tn and start what was to become the KKK ? 65 TO 69 I was at MTSU in Murfreesboro , TN. We had a Forrest Hall , they changed the name. We were the" Raiders " and had a Confederate guy on a hourse as a mascot , they chanded mascots. They would play Dixie at football games , they stopped. Being from New Jersey I thought we fought the Civil War 100 years ago and the North won. At MTSU I learned it was THE WAR and the only reason Lee gave Grant his sword was he thought Grant was going to sharpen it for him.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:02 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

DMZ,

Ah, yes, the stuff of which legends are made!!! Forrest did not start the KKK. He was approached by the fledgling organization and asked to be its head because of his status. He agreed but after two or three years finally realized its true purpose and disbanded it and quit. The KKK emerged again about 3 decades later much more virulent than it had ever been under Forrest.

Forrest is an enigma. He is accused of the worst crimes, of hatred of racism, etc. yet if you examine every incident where he is thrown to the wolves, you will see that he eventually realized the folly of his ways and changed his mind.

Even at Fort Pillow where he is most criticized, there was nothing about the massacre piece of it in reports or newspaper accounts immediately following the incident. Later evidence surfaced that indicated that many of the Blacks and Whites as well, I might add were killed after their surrender. Number one, this is nothing new in a civil war where violence tends to be much worse in the heat of battle and number two, Forrest did realize what terror he unleashed in the fort and had difficulty reigning in his troops. He did LOSE control of them, that is true and he should have reacted more quickly when he saw that defenseless troops were being shot. Point is he did regain a measure of control and stopped the slaughter of a garrison who initially refused to surrender.

I just reread this post and realized I sound like a forrest apologist. That is not the case. However, I have read enough books about him to see a pattern emerge. He usually went overboard and was very violent, zealous and emotional about issues where he felt strongly. But in the midst of it all, he realized where he was wrong and pulled back, i.e. his slow reaction in stopping his rampaging troops at Fort Pillow and his slow reaction to the Klan and eventually leaving it 2 years down the road.

None of that can take away from his legendary performance in battle. No one can ever take that from him.

Bill

King John 2.1.466
Old 01-10-2003, 12:03 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I could write a lot more than this...

Tamaroa :

Thank you for the concise, informative post above. The "lost-control-of-his-troops" argument could be used about Gen. Sherman as well ( by accident and / or design ! ) , but I do not want to open up that can of worms here ! I have lived in and around the Memphis TN area my whole life, except for that 23 month all-expense-paid-tour courtesy of Uncle Sam. Unless you were born and / or have lived a good portion of your life in the South, it is very difficult to convey the feelings that white and black Southerners have about the Civil War and each other, even today. I had ancestors who fought on the Confederate side and well as the Union side, and a few that owned slaves. Knowing all of this, it tempers my attitudes toward the era. All I look for is the TRUTH ( ..or as HARDCORE would say ..."VERITAS"... ).. a most elusive subject. All we can do is work together toward that goal..

Larry
Old 02-11-2003, 08:30 PM

There's no doubt about it. General Forrest was a great leader. You knew where he was going to be during a fight...right out in front and in the thick of it!
TC
Old 02-12-2003, 05:17 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

I believe it is the eternal nature of warfare to be unpredictable in the field, and ever so "on schedule and going well" for those who wear the suits in glamorous buildings far far away...what Forrest or any other soldier did or did not do is most probably known only to him, and could have been nothing less or more than an instinctive response to extreme danger and carnage...which NO military fighter can possibly predict in advance.
Bluehawk