Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2003, 05:38 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Cheney's Flawed Energy Blueprint

Cheney's Flawed Energy Blueprint

Published: Aug 29, 2003

R epublican leaders vow to push through a version of President Bush's energy bill when Congress reconvenes after Labor Day.
The nation needs farsighted policies that will help the nation become more energy independent. But the proposals developed by Vice President Cheney are designed chiefly to serve the energy industry, not the public.

The nonpartisan General Accounting Office, the investigative arm of Congress that has been trying to determine who was involved in devising the administration's energy proposals, found that Cheney's task force relied chiefly on ``petroleum, coal, nuclear, natural gas, electricity industry representatives and lobbyists'' but sought virtually no advice from academics, environmentalists or consumer groups.

The administration's plan would provide billions of dollars of tax breaks to energy companies, weaken environmental rules and open vast tracts of public lands to oil drillers. Yet it would do little to promote energy conservation or encourage use of clean-burning fuels.

The GAO filed the report though Cheney had refused to provide information about the task force's secret meetings. An unfortunate court ruling and pressure from Republican leaders caused the GAO to drop its legal pursuit of the information.

Judicial Watch and the Sierra Club have so far been successful in their separate legal fight for the energy records, though the administration continues to withhold the documents.

Democratic candidates, you can be sure, will make much of the GAO report. But its findings should not be dismissed as political maneuvering. David M. Walker, director of the GAO, is a Republican. He told The Washington Post that the government's refusal to turn over relevant documents called into question the existence of ``an appropriate degree of accountability in government.''

He added, ``The Congress and the American people had the right to know the limited amount of information we were seeking.''

What the GAO did learn indicates that Cheney's task force was interested solely in industry's viewpoint, not in considering a wide range of options.

Kenneth L. Lay, former chairman of the disgraced Enron Corp., was among those who met with Cheney. The National Mining Association, Chevron Corp. and other companies and associations gave extensive recommendations to the task force.

In contrast, citizens groups and environmentalists were essentially ignored. The GAO found that even though the White House sought to increase oil and gas exploration on public lands, it didn't assign the Interior Department ``a lead role in writing'' any of the task force's report chapters.

The GAO also concluded the task force was ``a centralized, top-down'' process that involved a few hundred federal employees but did not seek out the advice of nonpolitical government officials.

The administration's energy task force - secretive, exclusive and dismissive of outside ideas - stands as a blueprint for how not to develop sound public policy. Members of Congress would be wise to keep their distance from this flawed effort.
Old 08-30-2003, 06:30 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

MORTADUDE - reference your first paragraph:

Quote -

Republican leaders vow to push through a version of President Bush's energy bill when Congress reconvenes after Labor Day.
The nation needs farsighted policies that will help the nation become more energy independent. But the proposals developed by Vice President Cheney are designed chiefly to serve the energy industry, not the public.
---------------------------------------------

"So what the hell else is new my friend?" Read my piece on the GENERAL SECTION entitled BULL DUNG!

I fear that the mad rush is on to benefit ($$$$) those who need it less again? (opinion)

I have absolutely no problem with a man or woman (any man or woman) making an honest ($) buck, but when the field is slanted in one direction or another, and the other (usually the Middle Class, the elderly, the student or the poor) is made the object of financial rape, then by God man, a few priorities had better be realigned or re-examined! (opinion)

VERITAS
Old 08-30-2003, 09:12 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Thanks Larry,

I saw this today in the Tampa tribune and was going to post it myself. Looks like you were one step ahead of me. Kinda lends credibility to the charges that Cheney is nothing but the jerk his voting record as a Congressman proved, huh?

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote