The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-10-2009, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Congressional Medal of Honor Citations for Actions Taken This Day November 10th

BRITT, MAURICE L.
Rank and organization: Captain (then Lieutenant), U.S. Army, 3d Infantry Division. Place and date: North of Mignano, Italy, 10 November 1943. Entered service at: Lonoke, Ark. Born: 29 June 1919, Carlisle, Ark. G.O. No.: 23, 24 March 1944. Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Disdaining enemy hand grenades and close-range machine pistol, machinegun, and rifle, Lt. Britt inspired and led a handful of his men in repelling a bitter counterattack by approximately 100 Germans against his company positions north of Mignano, Italy, the morning of 10 November 1943. During the intense fire fight, Lt. Britt's canteen and field glasses were shattered; a bullet pierced his side; his chest, face, and hands were covered with grenade wounds. Despite his wounds, for which he refused to accept medical attention until ordered to do so by his battalion commander following the battle, he personally killed 5 and wounded an unknown number of Germans, wiped out one enemy machinegun crew, fired 5 clips of carbine and an undetermined amount of Ml rifle ammunition, and threw 32 fragmentation grenades. His bold, aggressive actions, utterly disregarding superior enemy numbers, resulted in capture of 4 Germans, 2 of them wounded, and enabled several captured Americans to escape. Lt. Britt's undaunted courage and prowess in arms were largely responsible for repulsing a German counterattack which, if successful, would have isolated his battalion and destroyed his company.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2009, 09:33 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Anyone who considers pro athletes to be their heroes should read accounts like this. Men like Capt. Britt are the real heroes, not some overpaid prima donnas who whine about how they don't get any respect.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

I could not agree more.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:40 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Ditto:
Old 11-10-2009, 12:54 PM

I've had many heros, none of which were pro athlete anything.

Melody ~ melody1181
Old 11-10-2009, 09:29 PM

BRITT, MAURICE L.
Rank and organization: Captain (then Lieutenant), U.S. Army, 3d Infantry Division. Place and date: North of Mignano, Italy, 10 November 1943. Entered service at: Lonoke, Ark. Born: 29 June 1919, Carlisle, Ark. G.O. No.: 23, 24 March 1944. Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Disdaining enemy hand grenades and close-range machine pistol, machinegun, and rifle, Lt. Britt inspired and led a handful of his men in repelling a bitter counterattack by approximately 100 Germans against his company positions north of Mignano, Italy, the morning of 10 November 1943. During the intense fire fight, Lt. Britt's canteen and field glasses were shattered; a bullet pierced his side; his chest, face, and hands were covered with grenade wounds. Despite his wounds, for which he refused to accept medical attention until ordered to do so by his battalion commander following the battle, he personally killed 5 and wounded an unknown number of Germans, wiped out one enemy machinegun crew, fired 5 clips of carbine and an undetermined amount of Ml rifle ammunition, and threw 32 fragmentation grenades. His bold, aggressive actions, utterly disregarding superior enemy numbers, resulted in capture of 4 Germans, 2 of them wounded, and enabled several captured Americans to escape. Lt. Britt's undaunted courage and prowess in arms were largely responsible for repulsing a German counterattack which, if successful, would have isolated his battalion and destroyed his company.

Wow. Posts like this are why I just joined this site. Here (and at Military.com) are the places where I find the most satisfaction in being, and gratitude for having been born, an American. As for pro athletes, those moral-less, drug-abusing wimps don't deserve to clean this guy's boots.

Last edited by Rocker; 11-10-2009 at 09:30 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-10-2009, 10:57 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Exactly. I do agree. I have 2 that I often think of: Captain James Sprayberry (then 1LT) republic of Viet Nam 1968 (MOH) He was My Company Commander D-4-5 Ft. Polk, La. 1969. He is now living in LaGrange, Ga. Also a residence of My hometown Marine Corps
Graduate of Bartlett HS, Bartlett, Tn. MOH postumously. Sgt. Walter K. Singleton, and I had the pleasure of meeting His Mother at a Veterans day parade in 2005. In Memphis Singleton Pkwy, and Singleton community center is named in His honor. Pity is some Memphians don't even know this. They are due the respect, and honor.