The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2010, 06:33 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Hello to all. Been a spell I guess!

If You didn't already know, this was on the VA web-site. Also an article on the funding for homeless Veterans. I need to know what is defined as Ischemic heart disease? And if the blood clot was caused by this??????
Take care My "Brothers"

Secretary Seeks Fast Track to Process Claims

March 9, 2010
Printable Version
Need Viewer Software?

Focus on 200,000 Veterans Expected to File Claims under New Agent Orange Presumptives over Next Two Years

WASHINGTON – The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) announced today an aggressive new initiative to solicit private-sector input on a proposed “fast track” Veterans’ claims process for service-connected presumptive illnesses due to Agent Orange exposure during the Vietnam War.

“This will be a new way of doing business and a major step forward in how we process the presumptive claims we expect to receive over the next two years,” Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki said. “With the latest, fastest, and most reliable technology, VA hopes to migrate the manual processing of these claims to an automated process that meets the needs of today’s Veterans in a more timely manner.”

Over the next two years, about 200,000 Veterans are expected to file disability compensation claims under an historic expansion of three new presumptive illnesses announced last year by Secretary Shinseki. They affect Veterans who have Parkinson’s disease, ischemic heart disease and B-cell leukemias.

In practical terms, Veterans who served in Vietnam during the war and who have one of the illnesses covered by the "presumption of service connection" don’t have to prove an association between their medical problems and military service. This “presumption” makes it easier for Vietnam Veterans to access disability compensation benefits. Vietnam Veterans are encouraged to submit their claims as soon as possible to begin the important process of compensation.

Along with the publication of proposed regulations for the three new presumptives this spring, VA intends to publish a formal request in Federal Business Opportunities for private-sector corporations to propose automated solutions for the parts of the claims process that take the longest amount of time. VA believes these can be collected in a more streamlined and accurate way.

Development involves determining what additional information is needed to adjudicate the claim, such as military and private medical records and the scheduling of medical examinations.

With this new approach, VA expects to shorten the time it takes to gather evidence, which now takes on average over 90 days. Once the claim is fully developed and all pertinent information is gathered, VA will be able to more quickly decide the claim and process the award, if granted.

The contract is expected to be awarded in April with proposed solutions offered to VA within 90 days. Implementation of the solution is expected within 150 days.

“Veterans whose health was harmed during their military service are entitled to the best this nation has to offer,” added Secretary Shinseki. “We are undertaking an unprecedented modernization of our claims process to ensure timely and accurate delivery of that commitment.”

Last year, VA received more than one million claims for disability compensation and pension. VA provides compensation and pension benefits to over 3.8 million Veterans and beneficiaries. Presently, the basic monthly rate of compensation ranges from $123 to $2,673 to Veterans without any dependents.

Disability compensation is a non-taxable, monthly monetary benefit paid to Veterans who are disabled as a result of an injury or illness that was incurred or aggravated during active military service.

For more information about disability compensation, go to www.va.gov. Additional information about Agent Orange and VA’s services and programs for Veterans exposed are available at www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange.

# # #
Old 03-12-2010, 07:19 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Glad to see you back online

Grunt.......................

What is ischemic heart disease?

It's the term given to heart problems caused by narrowed heart arteries. When arteries are narrowed, less blood and oxygen reaches the heart muscle. This is also called coronary artery disease and coronary heart disease. This can ultimately lead to heart attack.

Ischemia often causes chest pain or discomfort known as angina pectoris (AN'jih-nah or an-JI'nah PEK'tor-is).

Ischemic heart disease (IHD), or myocardial ischaemia, is a disease characterized by ischaemia (reduced blood supply) to the heart muscle, usually due to coronary artery disease (atherosclerosis of the coronary arteries). Its risk increases with age, smoking, hypercholesterolaemia (high cholesterol levels), diabetes, hypertension (high blood pressure) and is more common in men and those who have close relatives with ischaemic heart disease.

Symptoms of this heart disease include angina (characteristic chest pain on exertion) and decreased exercise tolerance. Unstable IHD presents itself as chest pain or other symptoms at rest, or rapidly worsening angina. Diagnosis of IHD is with an electrocardiogram, blood tests (cardiac markers), cardiac stress testing or a coronary angiogram. Depending on the symptoms and risk, treatment may be with medication, percutaneous coronary intervention (angioplasty) or coronary artery bypass surgery (CABG).

I filed a claim for this about two months ago when Secretary Shinseki first announced it would be included in the VA "presumptive conditions" as apllied to Agent Orange exposure. I just had my C&P Exam last Thursday at my local VA and was told I should be hearing something within a couple of months-----we'll see.

It usually takes longer than that, for sure!

I'm already rated at 100% permanent & total disabled regarding all my service connected injuries, but I wanted to get this condition "on the record" in case I die of a heart condition that's "service related" because it could mean more $$$$ for my better half to bury me with!

Hope this helps..................

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:42 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Thanks "Bro"
It is worth a try. When I had My blood clot surgery, and reading the medical reports I read something to the fact of PAD ( pariferral artirial desease) Ischemic. I'm on hgh blood pressure medicine, and on blood thinner (plavix) He said I would probably be on this for lifetime. The hypertension that I originally claimed was denied, based on the fact
that I had nothing in my reacords during active duty that states I was treated for hypertension, or diagnosed up to 1 year after seperation from service. I feel it all goes back to diabetes, agent orange, etc. I've refiled for this condition base on these factors.
Thanks again for the re-ply. "hang in there"!!
Topp G.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:35 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

All complications from diabetes are covered by agent orange disability. It is hell on arteries causing strokes, heart attacks, kidney failure and is the most common cause of limb amputations. The arteries can be anywhere in the body and when they are narrowed by the diabetes ischemia results. If there is narrowing of the kidney arteries it caused the kidneys to send out signals to raise the blood pressure. It is called renal hypertension.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:28 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Thanks again
Very good explanation as to what is going on with diabetes, and agent orange. My younger brother just had His left leg (above the knee) amputated at age 51. I have a great concern
for My health. Damn!! what would I do if I was not connected to the Pariot files!!

Last edited by formergrunt70; 03-12-2010 at 02:39 PM. Reason: wrong word
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:46 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default "And the hits just keep coming"

Finally got to talk to a human being today at DVA (CRSC branch) after going around with
DFAS for the last month concerning retro pay, they (DFAS) informed Me that My file was complete (review&audit) and said that it was electronically sent to Dept of Veteran Affairs
as of 16 January 2010 for processing, and payment. The retro dates back to October 09.
Stated I should have received a payment with 30-60 days. Well (BOHICA) Lori at the DVA
stated that they had no record of My file, and that I should contact DFAS. Duh!! I have a representative of My Congressman checking into this. Just don't understand the communication gap between DFAS, and DVA. Hurry up, and wait! I guess They will eventually post the payment. Just thought I would share.