The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2005, 09:40 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Memorial Day Remembrance : 2/22 25th ID

I would like to honor the memory of these brave soldiers who were killed as members of the 2nd Battalion ( Mech ) 22nd Infantry Regiment, 25th Infantry Division, during my tour, in Vietnam and Cambodia.

Frazier Thomas Dixon 3-Dec-69
Robert Eugene Romero 3-Dec-69
Dennis Wayne Nelson 12-Feb-70
Kenneth Samuel Dee 3-Mar-70
James Dean Johnson 3-Mar-70
Alexander Frank Potas 17-Mar-70
Freddy Lamar Bratton 30-May-70
David Graham Campbell 2-Jun-70
Michael Alfred Rasmusson 2-Jun-70
Leszek Stanley Karsznia 14-Aug-70
William H. Van Gelder, Jr. 15-Aug-70

There are probably more. This is all the Vietnam Triple Deuce has listed on their site.

You are not forgotten. Rest in Peace.

Larry

Last edited by 82Rigger; 07-14-2008 at 01:04 AM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2005, 10:29 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default 2/22nd

In June of ?67, when I went to the 4th of the 23rd (the unit that saved what was left of Custer?s boys back in 1876) we had just gone mechanized a few months earlier. To make the change over a smoother affair a number of men from 2nd of the 22nd were transferred to our unit.
When I got there three of them were in 2nd platoon, two had nine months in country and one had 18 months in the field. They were all quite insane but we sure learned a hell of a lot from them. First thing I learned from them was while in base camp get with a woman as often as possible and get totally $hit faced, while in the field always have your stuff wired real tight. 2/22nd will always have a special place in my heart.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 05-27-2005, 06:01 AM

I bought a few poppies this morning from some of the old troopers. Some on respirators others brandishing their Legion caps and working the corners.

Already had fifteen or more on my visor but whats a few more - right! Nice day today - but as usual if will be cloudy and cold for tomorrows Veteran's creaminess (every year its cold or raining at this time). The Flag's are raised and nice things are said about those who've served and fallen.

I find most of us attending are thinking of all our experiences, friends and family members. The local Bikers are all here they come in droves sporting their leathers and proudly going through the motions of honoring our present - past - and future soldiers.

I always look at those attending. Many of the guys have their wives with them. They are there supporting their husbands, sons and daughters. Kids are running around not sure what the whole deal is about - but they love the guns going off.

The speakers are talking but I don't always here them I'm staring the monuments or flags blowing. I watching but I'm not - whats happening to me? A few people are passing out the program of the day. Some have sticker's.

Some of the guys can still fit in their old uniforms - I wonder where mine went? Two and half hours later its over. People begin to leave and a few are shaking hands and laughing.

But I notice each year there are less and less of the older ones and I reflect on my Ganrd-Father, Dad, Brother and Uncle who are all gone now - geez I feel like shit. I go home and the wife (who can barely walk) says how was it. Good I said - I think I'll cut the grass - I go in the garage and open a beer.

Veterans Day - its just too painful and the memories flood in like open wounds that you thought had long ago healed. Let's hope tomorrow isn't a rerun of the prior year's. I think I will be more positive - sure I say that every year. What's wrong with me?

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 05-27-2005, 06:12 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Several years ago I received a letter from the parents of James Dean Johnson. It was some time before I could write back. I remembered when he was killed and the circumstances. They called me shortly thereafter. Even though it was over 30+ years later, they wanted to know how their son spent his time in Vietnam and how he died. It was very, very, very difficult for me to talk to them and I choked up several times. I could only imagine if I had been killed during some of the multiple close calls I had, and my mother was doing the same thing....Those 58,000+ names on the Vietnam Memorial are not just names. Each death affected many, many living and breathing Americans. Freedom is not free. Rest in Peace James Dean Johnson.

Larry
Old 05-27-2005, 06:40 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Ain't nothing wrong with you Boats , I have a lot of the same feelings. Keep movin brother. Larry , a son of a 3/5 Trooper killed before he was born , came to the 3/5 Cav site looking for answers about his father. The Troopers best friend answered his questions and that gave them both some Peace. I am sure you gave your friends family some Peace also. It's just hard to find some for ourselfs sometimes. Tough weekend for me.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:03 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I read each of their names outloud, Larry. Thanks for bringing their names to us to be honored. Thanks for keeping their memories alive. May they all rest in peace.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:03 AM

Default Thanks

I honor the fallen of the 2/22. Thanks for posting their names here.
"No one has greater love than this; to lay down one's life for one's friends.". John 15:13