The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2003, 01:42 PM

Default Is This Possible?

As most of you know, I hae been asking questions about the Army Reserves cause of a divorce .

Well, now get this:

This guy is in the Reserves, at least he still says he is, but anyhow he is a Spec4, had four years prior Army duty , and now he telling his Daughter that he is going to make Captain.

He barley got out of high school, had no prior Officer qualifications.

BTW he was just promoted to Spec 4 about 7 months ago.

Some more "wool" over the 6 year old girl I think.

enough.....................
Old 08-09-2003, 02:59 PM

Default Direct commission !

Well, I thought I had heard 'em all, but then alongs comes ol' Reeb with another good one.
I knew a guy who was trying to make people believe he went from Corporal to LTC in WWII. He was telling everybody that he went from being an aircraft mechanic to being assigned the commander of an OSS unit serving in India and Burma. He says he got his "battlefield commission" because he knew the languages and had a good plan on how to defeat the Japs.
What does your "friend" got to offer, Reeb ? Maybe he knows where bin Laden and Saddam are holed up and the commission to captain is his reward ??
I gotta think this guy is simply full of himself and the rose garden fertilizer.
Old 08-09-2003, 06:32 PM

reeb anything is possible if you wish hard enough, like the sky is green now try it just keep saying to yourself the sky is green and onand onect,ect,ect.

razz
Old 08-09-2003, 08:43 PM

A fella I used to work with about ten or so years ago was a bonafide wannabe. I was his foreman. He only worked for the company about 1 1/2 weeks. He didn't know that I spent 16 years in the Marines. He didn't show up for work one morning,and he didn't show up to the next day. He knew the boss would be out of town at a convention.Anyhow when he returned,I asked him where he was, why didn't he call.....all the questions when something like that happens. He told me and the secretary that he was called up to an 'Inactive' Reserve 'Mission' and that he had to go to Washington for a 'Top Secret' meeting with the CIC. Needless to say,he was promply fired on the spot. Then come to find out he did go to Army bootcamp in the mid 70's and had his Mom and Dad get him out with help from a State Representative after about 5 weeks. Take's all kinds....Semper-Fi!! Chuck Hall
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 05:08 AM

Default Other side of the coin

I knew an 05 who went to E2 overnight.

He had a USAR reserve commission with a total of 16 years active duty. Had gone to OCS. At the time of commissioning he was an RA E2. When he got RIF'd as an officer after 16 years of service, he was given the choice of a total discharge (no retirement benefits) or reverting to his prior enlisted rank. He opted for the latter, finished out his time in the service, and then retired as an 05 again with full retirement benefits (you retire at the highest rank held during your active duty service). If you were RA enlisted, the Army is (was) required by regs to give you this option.

This can happen because an Reserve Officer on extended active duty serves at the convenience of the government, and has no job security, unlike an RA officer. Towards the end of the Vietnam War, the Army lost a lot of outstanding, highly decorated, and proven combat leaders with this policy, while maintaining a trunk-load of RA WEST POINT DUDS.

Humbling, but smart.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:22 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

I was stationed with a CMSgt who enlisted in the Army Air Corps in 1942 and was found to have an aptitude for flying. He was sent to flying school and made full-bird as a B-17 pilot. When the war ended he was told he couldn't keep his commission but, if he stayed in, he would receive the highest enlisted rank but could retire as a bird, which he did in '72.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:21 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Dan, the Chief made a good choice and I would have loved to see which club(0 or NCO) the Chief went to have his retirement party and I think the reason he got Chief when they rifted him was since Congress appoints Chiefs and Col. they decided to lateral move him to Enlisted ranks. just my thoughts
Old 08-11-2003, 05:02 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Jerry, I went to his retirement party at the NCO club. He had no great love for officers and was one for just over 2 years. At his party he told some great stories from his service in WWII, Korea and Vietnam, some war stories, some whore stories and all of them very funny. He also said he had been busted down to "mosquito wing" at least once for every stripe he still had on his sleeve, not that he really cared since he was retiring as a "bird". The only problem was that his liver was a lot older than he was, despite his attempts at preserving it in by "pickling", if you know what I mean.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:08 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

With a handful of dollars and the right connects, this may be possible is some banana republic Army. I'm not so sure that kind of jump is possible in a US service without some super mega qualification and a real need that has to be filled. Navy wise, the only ones I know of that went straight to 0-3 were medical doctors, dentists and ordained ministers.

Scamp
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 08:35 AM

Default Seascamp

You forgot lawyers. How could you possibly forget lawerys---they haven't forgotton you and stand in the wings ready to help you at the drop of a hat pin (you remember what a hat pin is, right?), especially if somebody else dropped it, right on your toes.

We had this guy in Basic who...........