The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Navy

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2003, 06:47 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Talking Proud parents of a Navy Sailor

It's my Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal certificate. The paragraph at the bottom says I got it for:

Professional achievement while serving as Gun Mount Technician during Naval Surface Firing Support (NSFS) Exercises in USS McCampbell (DDG-85) from November to December 2002. Petty Officer performed his duties in an exemplary and highly professional manner. Displaying outstanding skill and responsibility, he was critical in the repair and maintenance of the 5"/ 62 Caliber Gun which saved thousands of dollars in repair costs. His initiative and drive made it possible for the ship to conduct several highly successful firing missions. Petty Officer 's initiative, perserverance and loyal devotion to duty reflected credit upon himself and were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

Given the 28th day of February 2003 Mark C. Montgomery
Commander, U. S. Navy
Commanding Officer, USS McCampbell (DDG-85)

I have seen many people get these for bullshit like doing their every day job just to make that division look better. I earned mine with blood, sweat and tears in that gun mount four times over fixing the same broken part, finding the cause before the "experts" that designed it and fixing it. I'm very proud of this medal, and I hope to earn more.

See ya,
Pete
Old 03-11-2003, 11:46 AM

Pete you should be proud I think its swell.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 07:27 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Pete sent us the post in an email.
We are proud enough to tell all our most understanding friends.
Darrel & Joy
Old 03-21-2003, 08:29 AM

Thumbs up Congratulations PETE!!!

Darrell & Joy,

Congratulations to Pete! We're all PROUD of YOU!!!

I told all my kids who went into the service, that they were allowed to bring home all the Achievement, Commendation and Service Medals that they could earn in the naive hope that there would be no 'wars' during the time they served their country. I told them that because our family didn't need any more 'war' medals. Between my Grandfather (WWI), my Father (WWII & Korea) and myself (Vietnam) we had more than enough and it was my hope that at least one generation of our family would be able to serve during peacetime. Alas, that was not to be...

I'm also the proud parent of a US sailor. My youngest daughter Meagan is deployed aboard the USS Mason (DDG-87). She is currently in the US awaiting the commissioning of her ship on 12-April. She also earned a Navy Achievement Medal a few months ago. I'm very Proud of her!!

Take Care and God Bless ALL Our Children going into harms way.
GBU ~ GBA

Smitty
USN Fighter Squadron 24 'MiG Killers'
Vietnam '67-'68-'69-'70
Old 03-21-2003, 08:47 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Pete already got a "war" medal. He went to Kosovo on the USS Ross, a destroyer with the Roosevelt task force.
After 911, they wouldn't let him transfer back.
Since he plans to make a career out of it, we expect that he will be in harms way again.
If at all possible, go to the commissioning. We went to Pete's last August. It was great.