The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Navy

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2002, 12:54 AM

Default HMAS Sydney Memorials

Allan H. Adams of Whiteside, Queensland said:

A new memorial at Geraldton, Western Australia commemorates the loss of HMAS Sydney and her entire complement of 645 men on 19 November 1941. The ship sank off the West Australian coast following a battle with the armed German raider HSK Kormoran. The memorial is indeed impressive. It is located in a prime position and inspires reflection.

However, there is much more to see and learn about the worst naval disaster in our history if you go a little farther afield.

My father, Harold Adams, was an Able Seaman on the 'Sydney' from December 1939 to 11 November 1941 and was the last off before she sailed from Fremantle on its final voyage. My father and I were present on 10 November 2001 at Carnarvon, 485 km north of Geraldton, for the dedication of the HMAS Svdney (II) Memorial Avenue. At the base of the 645 Foxtail Palms, planted beside the avenue, is a plaque dedicated to every man lost. Given its small population, the effort the people of Carnarvon put into the production of this memorial is deserving of the highest praise.

There is a further memorial on Quobba Station [ranch for our American friends], to the north of Carnarvon. This memorial, erected for the 50th anniversary of the action, overlooks the sea in the area where some of the survivors of the 'Kormoran' came ashore.

There seems to be some rivalry between Geraldton and Carnarvon as to their proximity to the location of the wreck of the HMAS Sydney. Only when the ships are found will the plethora of stories be hushed, the truth revealed, and the memory of the brave souls allowed to rest in peace.

The Naval Historical Society of Australia (WA Chapter) holds one of the best collections of memorabilia about this ship and its crew.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2002, 12:49 PM

Wazza,

I just read your profile. 34 years a cop that's a long time bud.
Retired too! What does one do when one retires? My stock is so low now I will have to work another 10 years and hope it comes back up.

You Aussie's are a good bunch. I ran into a few of your ships in Hong Kong back in 64 during liberty. I think some of your guys said that your first hitch is 8 years is that correct?

We used to race rick-shaws up and down the alley way's and then get our drivers dinner and drinks. Those were the good old days.

I never made you Big Island yet and my wife and I would like to take a 30 tour when the opportunity allows. I hear you have a nice train ride all the way across the continent I'd like to take that trip - of course when I get the opportunity.

My brother was there said he had a blast. Went inland and saw some sites. He's gone now but I do recall him telling me about it.

I'm sure your memorial's are as touching as ours after all when you loose your kin folk they've got to be remembered. I salute you and your soldier's for service rendered.

Fly The Flag

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 10-09-2002, 09:55 AM

Boats,

Sent you a PM to answer some of your questions

What does one do when one retires?

One hopes to get their life in order, go fishing get the go-kart running hot and keep the little woman happy. Got a 20 foot boat in the backyard that hasn't been wet for two years.

My stock is so low now I will have to work another 10 years and hope it comes back up.

We have a good pension plan if you joined before 4/1988. Retire on 72% of my current salary. Plus the Vet's allowance.

I think some of your guys said that your first hitch is 8 years is that correct?

No. Sign on was 9 years and the second hitch was 6 or 9 your choice. Got an ex-navy mate who could have been up there around that time you were there. Did you ever hear of the mad chemist [pharmacist] in Hong Kong? I tried to find him on R&R but no luck. He used to mix up potions which I think they now call 'Viagara'.

What's a 30 tour?

Last thing you want to do is go across the country by train. We are about 2/3rds the width of the U.S.A. and it's all desert. Be okay if you like looking a rare cloud formations.

Sad to hear about you brother. My folks are still alive but all the grandparents have gone.

My eldest son is 18 and joining the Navy when he completes High School this year. Starts out at the Defense Academy to begin with. Eldest daughter 21 in December.

WAZ
Old 10-09-2002, 02:25 PM

Waz,

I ment a 30 days visit to your Country. Glad to hear you've got such a good pension plan I only wish ours was the same. What percentage of your women go into the service now?

No mad chemist confrontation sorry but I do recall putting away some beers and ending up on the wrong ship that night - hmmmm
its been some time since that ever happen!!

Sounds like your enjoying the time off. I only hope I can put something together when its my time. I'm 56 now and still working - cause my life depends on it. Wife and I are now married 35 years "God Bless Her" for staying with me.

Oldest daughter is now 30 and married - no kids but wants them. The youngest daughter had a falling out and has one child of which we Love dearly.

Went fishing years ago with my Dad and Grand-Father spent seven hours in the boat and didn't catch a thing - well that ended my fishing desires.

Like working on cars - collect old auto manuals when I can find them. I'm really pretty boring I guess. Still tip a few beers every two to three weeks. Used to be a daily drinker but it cost too much and I hate the hang overs.

Want to go to Italy with the wife (Northern Part) have family there and I want to taste the local food and cheeses. My wife can cook with the best and makes her own Italian Sausage.

We just paid off the house this year and are trying to stockpile some money to cover those things we want to see while we still have our health. If and when we make the trip to your area I will give you call and we can get together for a nice meal and a good long chat.

I noticed earlier that you logged in at 3AM wow thats early. It's currently 1630 hours and I will soon be heading home. You take care and my best to your family and friends.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 10-15-2002, 07:56 AM

Lots to answer but here goes

Thirty days, sounds like a prison sentence. We're not a penal colony any longer you know [LOL]. With an area of 7.5 sq. km compared to the U.S. 9.5 sq.km it would be nice if you could spend a little more time. We have a lot of desert,of course, and distance between tourist sites is huge. But it depends on what you want to see.

In 1986 we spent 12 weeks in Europe and the UK on holiday and that wasn't quite enough. Northern Italy is really nice. We came in through Austria near Villach. Went as far south as Sorrento and the Isle of Capri. Then north through Pisa, Genoa and into France. There's certainly a difference between the north and the south mainly economic. Italy is really quite fabulous, rich in history and beautiful weather. Most people in Europe are friendly towrad Australians.

Yeah 3am - part of the psychovet thing. Frightened to go to sleep sometimes. Do you log on at home as well as work?

I think I'd need 6 months to tour the USA. Can see that happening in the short term.

I've got 4 kids - two of each -none married
Daughters- one 20 [21 in December] and one 14 .
Sons - one 18 the other 13 [this one an accident].

If you do come over we'll certainly arrange something.

Sorry to hear you were so ill 5 years ago. We had a lot of sailors seriously ill with asbestosis. Government wiped them for many years until the numbers reduced, then compensated the few remaining. Mainly W.W.II vets.

What sort of cars do you have or had???
Old 10-16-2002, 06:37 AM

Wazza,

12 week holidays in the US is not readily available to us poor working fools. I get 4 weeks max. unless I take a leave of absence and then I'd come back and find my job has been taken by someone else.

They will bitch if I take two weeks in a row and to ask for a 4 week leave will shock them to their bones. But somehow I will manage to take a trip to the big island before I pull the grass over.

Say your kid's are getting old too! Boy don't time fly. My oldest daughter Heather is now 30 and I can't believe how fast the times has gone by.

You know the asbestos issue for US Sailors hasn't ever been addressed openly. I slept just under the No. 3 catch wire on one ship and woke up every morning with white dust on my face and blankets - could this have been asbestos? I know it was but what can I do about it? I think there is a rule you can't sue your government or something like that.

Kathleen (my wife) has a 1986 Chevy Z-24 and I just got a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Can't see spending that big money for anything new.

Made my last house payment three months ago and now all I have to is pay utililties and taxes the rest of my life.

Our heating bills and fuel bills are going up and up. They are taxing everything and anything the public uses. It's amazing how these taxes are put in place without us having anything to say about it. Taxation without representation just doesn't make one feel good.

Holidays coming up soon. Once more that tells you how fast the time goes by. I swear I just put the damn xmas tree away and took down all those lights only to dig them out again.

Primarily I use the WEB at work but I have a laptop and take it home every weekend. When my Grand-Daughter comes over we set it up so she can run some of the programs (like pictures) and she will watch them for about 10 minutes and then want to do something else - kids!!!

Yea Northern Italy is where I want to go. Great-Grand-Father came from Breganze, Vicenza Italy so I'd like to go to that area and visit. Grand-Mother came from Milan. Wifes parents are also Italian so it would be nice just to go there and hopefully not become an international incident (being from US).

Well everyone is pouring in now and the grind begins I'll tune in again during lunch to see whats what.

Regards

Wayne

"IN GOD WE TRUST"