The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-25-2003, 05:37 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Halliburton ( VP Cheney's old firm ) Charges Into Iraq.. go ahead James take a shot !

http://www.fool.com/news/take/2003/take030325.htm

Halliburton Charges Into Iraq
A division of Halliburton (NYSE: HAL) named Kellogg Brown & Root (KBR) has been awarded a contract from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to work in Iraq. The size of the contract was not disclosed, but estimates put it near $1 billion.

For now, Halliburton's KBR unit will douse oil fires in Iraq and repair the country's weakened or damaged oil production infrastructure, where possible. Responsibilities after the war are yet to be divvied out. Halliburton is also working with the U.S. government in Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, Jordan, and other countries under a 10-year contract from the Pentagon awarded in December 2001.

Halliburton is the first of many U.S. corporations that will surely be asked to help, and profit from, the rebuilding of Iraq. It is an especially auspicious first awardee, however, because Dick Cheney was CEO of Halliburton until 2000. Upon entering the vice president's office, Cheney divested himself of his holdings, although he reportedly still receives about $1 million a year in compensation from the company.

Halliburton claims to have won the first Iraq contract because it was the only firm able to launch its services on short notice. Rebuilding Iraq will eventually result in contracts with a diverse group of U.S. companies, including those in building and highway construction, water, electricity, health, transportation, farming, and food. But the oil industry stands to benefit most.

With 112 billion proven barrels, Iraq has more known oil reserves than any other country in the world, aside from Saudi Arabia. Plus, 90% of the war-torn country has not yet been explored for oil. The oil belongs to the Iraqis, as Bush states, but U.S. companies are likely to be awarded contracts to make the industry "go" again.

Quote of Note
Old 03-26-2003, 07:33 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Sure.......

From different times and places I know of both Kellogg and Brown & Root. Both are top-level A&Es (Architects & Engineers). Don?t be at all surprised to see UK?s John Brown Engineering and the like show up, as they are an excellent A& E outfits as well. Oh, I might as well pitch this in, as the collective bowels are surely to get in a spasmodic uproar. Kellogg and Brown & Root are Texas-based outfits. But then, the vast majorities of US oil patch outfits are based out of Texas or have huge representation there.

M.W. Kellogg was one of the first US A&E outfits into the PRC and built bunches of chemical fertilizer plants and that is where I got my early fertilizer plant hardhat decal and learned all about syn gas compression machinery lines. Hal may be a bunch of corporate raiders and crooks as alleged or something else, I don?t know, but I have good thoughts about the people of Kellogg and Brown & Root and know they will do a first rate job. The people of Iraq don?t know this yet and can?t see it, but spring is coming for sure and with it a far better life than they ever imagined could be possible. Getting the industrial infrastructure out of the state of decay and neglect is pivotal in making all this happen.

Scamp
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 08:44 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Good post Scamp,

Thank you. It's nice to hear from one that has the knowledge and experience to back up what he is talking about.

This girl has changed her mind regard our involvement/oil/ Middle East after giving it much thought. Wecomplain about the oil industry but we by gosh want all the cheap fuel we can consume.

Wonder how many of those people in the street carrying signs "We won't fight for oil" don't own cars or never take a plane or heat their homes with wood stoves. If we think about oil and how this economy is governed by it we know that we are as tied to italmost as much as the air we breathe. Wehavecreated an economy that can not function without it.

No they won't fight for oil, they will let someone else do it for them. They in the mean time will continue to stand on the street and insult those that are fighting and dying for the lifestyle they live but protest.

Now that ladies and gentleman is arrogance and hypocrisy not to mentionschizophrenic

Arrow>>>>>>>>>

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 03-26-2003, 10:15 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Bad attatude award for me?

That?s all true enough Sis. I might add that hydrocarbon based chemical fertilizers originally nurture the food we eat. The same hydrocarbons are found in fibers, plastics, paints, and an endless list of every day products we seem to take for granted. Here is my best one. The most dangerous process I?ve ever been around, and I mean personally dangerous, produces 55 gallon drums of an opaque glop base material that goes on to become lipstick, face paint, eye liner, etc. Now guess what the feedstock coming in is? Any guesses? If ya are guessing petroleum or a lump of coal, ya got it right.
So not only should the spoiled brat protestors not drive cars, they best not eat, they should go around naked, never drink bottled water, never have a fiber carpet, never use paint of any kind, never touch a computer key board or wear a pair of shoes or sandals. Hair combs or brushes are out and so are toothbrushes. All detergents and hygiene products come from plants that have fossil fired energy sources so all that is out as well, same with paper products, canned goods, pharmaceuticals and junk food, on and on. And of course, no frigging makeup allowed.

Many may see a protester but what I see is a walking, talking, barrel of Saudi light that is ignorant as a box of rocks. Oh, the hypocrisy of it all seems to have no limit. So then, do I get the bad attitude of the day award?

Scamp
Old 03-26-2003, 10:10 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Scamp,

I guess we both do because that's the way I see it too brother. Here's hoping you are making progress regard your health. Sis

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 03-27-2003, 09:31 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I?m doing Ok Sis, at least I haven?t been hauled off to the toxic dump as yet and I don?t have to wear a ?Caution-Flammable? sign around my neck. This Office pogue stuff is sumpin else and I?m glad I have a sense of humor, maybe and sometimes. But I have to admit that the office Gals are much, much, better looking than a bunch of rough neck drillers and the like plus they don?t chew and spit either-at least not that I have seen, LOL.

But this entire new environment is another story and a culture adjustment for sure.

Scamp
Old 03-28-2003, 09:08 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Well it's a tough job but somebody has to do it...(hang out with good lookin' women)...You can tell if they are chewin' just look for theCopenhagenring in the back pocket of their jeans...

Keep drinkin your water and stay on your diet...you're gonna be ok...Griz is havin' a rough go right now...prayers are appreciated...I'm sad and worried about him...Sis