The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2003, 07:34 PM

Default What's the copyright on books?

How long before a book becomes public domain? I have an interesting book on the political background to Vietnam published by Cornell U, including some prime source material, that's been sitting on my shelf since '65 - I'd love to transcribe and put some of it up here, but I don't want the library police to take me away in the night.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:08 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Des -
So long as you do not violate what is called the "Fair Use Doctrine", and in no way plagiarize by calling something your own when it is not... then no matter what the copyright of a published work, you are free to "publish" by quotation as much as you please with due credit given.

When you begin to earn money at any time or in any way from reprinting something, is when the Library Police take umbrage. They are not courageous (or muscular) enough to actually take you away in the night, but will make life exceedingly miserable for you and yours if you violate the first law of capitalism.

Public domain is an ever moving target, in that it can change with the date of publication as well as any and all rights to reproduce which are owned by heirs of the author or their assigns. Generally it is not something to concern yourself with on PF unless you put it into a printed form for sale.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 08:09 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Here you go found this out on the net...

The Yahoo! Copyright category leads straight to the U.S. Copyright Office. Sometimes, it pays to check with those in charge.

First, here's a little primer about copyright. U.S. copyright law protects the author of an original work and allows the author exclusive right to reproduce, display, perform, and distribute copies of his or her work, as well as create derivative works. Copyright law applies to literary, dramatic, musical, artistic, and certain other intellectual works, and it's applicable whether or not the work is published. If a work has multiple creators, the authors share the copyright equally unless other arrangements are made in advance. The copyright for works created by an employee as part of their job or under a work-for-hire contract is owned by the employer. An author's copyright begins as soon as the work is created in a fixed form. How long copyright lasts depends on when the work was created. The Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998 extended many copyrights by 20 years. Here are the details, straight from the Copyright Office FAQ:
  • For works created after January 1, 1978, copyright lasts for the life of the author plus 70 years. In the case of a joint work, copyright lasts for 70 years after the last surviving author's death. For anonymous and pseudonymous works and works made for hire, copyright lasts 95 years from the year of first publication or 120 years from the year of creation, whichever ends first.
  • For works created but not published or registered before January 1, 1978, copyright lasts for the life of the author plus 70 years, but it will not expire earlier than December 31, 2002. If the work is published before December 31, 2002, copyright will not expire before December 31, 2047.
  • For pre-1978 works still in their original or renewal term of copyright, copyright is extended to 95 years from the date that copyright was originally secured.

For more information, check out the PDF file of Circular 15a on the length of copyright protection. Of course, laws can change, and some people oppose the Copyright Term Extension Act. Currently, this act is being challenged in a case that will be reviewed by the U.S. Supreme Court.

Arrow>>>>>

There are links underlined throughout the text that may give you more information. >>>>>

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 11-04-2003, 08:18 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Good advice from Mike too...

Now you got the whole ball of wax...

We report....

You decide.....

Arrow>>>>>

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 11-04-2003, 08:18 PM

Quote:
...exclusive right to reproduce, display, perform, and distribute copies of his or her work, as well as create derivative works...
Yeah, that's the bit that has me worried about the men in black.

I wasn't intending to make money, but I was intending to transcribe whole portions, which I suppose might be perceived as taking away someone's right to make money. Hard to justify, really, since it's not in print any more - but when did lawyers ever use reason?

I guess forty years isn't long enough. Too bad.

Thanks for your responses.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:31 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Des -
Having been in this business more than 30 years, I assure you that so long as you give credit where credit is due and in no way make a penny, then the men in black will be onto more important things no matter how much or how often you quote anything.

The law is intended to scare the crap out of the thieves, but it leaves ample room for noble scholarship without penalty of any kind.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:47 PM

hmmm.... I'd rather marry my mother in law than wrassle with legal eagles again. I'll think on it a spell. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:48 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Mornin' Des -

I you are sincere in wanting to "display" some one else's writings, and want to be completely certain of everything, then all you need to do is write the publisher and seek their permission. Each publisher will have more or less the same set of questions and, sometimes, paperwork for you to fill out. Most will not charge you for "display", but some are pricks who would present a tab to their son after dinner and will demand the max.

One way to reassure yourself is to attempt going through channels a couple of times.

Good luck, now I'm real eager to see what it is you are wanting to post!