The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-16-2005, 06:21 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

funnything about that phrase and the handshake that goes with it. I said that to two soldiers from the Iraq war who were in the the PTSD program with me in Little Rock, and the look on their faces was priceless. Every American service man and woman should get this greeting. It never loses its meaning.

Larry
Old 02-16-2005, 07:15 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Trav

When the Desert Storm people came home with their parade, I really didn't want to go. "I'm exempt". But I went anyway. It was great! Hey it was our gift to you and did us a hell of a lot of good. When there guys come home I'll be there again. Try it.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 07:54 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Welcome Home ... Everyone !
Old 02-17-2005, 06:23 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Doc Fred....will take your suggestion and honestly think about it. Were I am living now, there are not too many Gaurd or Reserve units. I think the nearest Active Duty base is way out in South Dakota but I will keep an ear to the news and if any units pass through I will go join in, might promote a little healing, who knows?

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 02-17-2005, 08:52 AM

My time stateside while serving was not a lot different from my time overseas. That is a shame! Stateside, we were not allowed to wear our uniform (of any kind) except driving to and from work because of so much negativity.

I think our guys in service should be able to wear any military uniform with pride on and off post/base while stateside.

I learned who my friends were and who they were not...stateside and overseas.

I never expected a "welcome" from those who were not "friendly" and got a welcome from those who were. I considered teh source and got on with life. The "unfriendlies" will have to answer for their attitudes some day and that's OK by me.

Our nation has paid a high price for their lousy attitudes toward the American military. In 2001, a very high price was paid and I believe now there is a vastly different attitude toward those who are willing to stand in the gap.

God bless our troops. And God bless the United States of America.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:36 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

hey reeb that was funny.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
Old 02-25-2005, 08:23 PM

When a fellow Vietnam Vet says it I don't mind, but when some civilian tells me that I just say "You're about 35 years too late bubba!"
Old 02-25-2005, 10:22 PM

I have met some of the posters here, and to the others what can I say but "Welcome Home".
Hearing that from a civilian would fur sure cause me to pause in reflection. But it's never happened, and I truly expect that it never will.

Chas H
FNG
C/7/15th Arty ' 67-'68
Old 02-25-2005, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chas H I have met some of the posters here, and to the others what can I say but "Welcome Home".
Hearing that from a civilian would fur sure cause me to pause in reflection. But it's never happened, and I truly expect that it never will.

Chas H
FNG
C/7/15th Arty ' 67-'68
Never say "Never".....

Thank you, Charles, from the bottom of my heart for serving our country, for bravely going whenever and wherever you were commanded; for doing whatever you were ordered to do; for watching the backs of your bros in hopes your efforts would help them return home alive; for surviving when it seemed liked surviving might not be an option; for joining this forum so I can share my feelings of gratitude with you; for reading this far in this post so you can see the link to a special web page I made especially for veterans such as yourself, who truly expect they will never recieve a heartfelt "Welcome Home".

Put your headphones on, adjust your speakers and set the "view" option in your browser to "full screen".

"For Our Boys Who Made It Home"
http://lilripple2001.tripod.com/forourboys.html

With truly grateful huggzz, I am
Nancy "Lilripple" Meek
Old 02-26-2005, 10:59 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

From another perspective. You don't know the history of those that walk up to youto shake your hand and say "Welcome Home", it could be the sonor daughter ora survivor of another Vietnam Veteran,maybe they need a "Welcome home" too.

There are58,000 plus on that Wall and1,842 unaccounted for, untold thousands dead from service connected causes. That's a lot of family members out there with a big hole in there heart every day.

No Dad to celebrate on Father's day, he's missing at Christmas and birthdays, he missed yourgraduations all the way from kindergartenthrough college,he wasn't there to walk you down the isle, he'll neverknowhis grandchildren, he didn't see that promotion when it came, he wasn't there when you needed a strong hand to guide your path. You want to confirm who he was and what he stood for, and one of the ways you do that is by standing with those that were there and every chance you get you are determined to shaketheir hand and say"Welcome Home"to some old Vietnam Veteran in a Walmart, truck stop, or at the local cafe.

All you that are so angry might want to measure your words and slow down your thoughts when someoneoffers you a "Welcome Home".It would be a shame for one of you to kill whattheseSons, Daughtersor Survivors carry in their heart with your words.

Don't be so bitter, you that have the opportunity to post to this site have had forty some yearsof a better chance at life than the firstman KIA in Vietnam.

POW-MIA

Sons & Daughters In Touch

Arrow>>>>>>