The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2004, 07:40 AM

James,

You're right. That is me. I had a goatee for a short time. Thought it made me look "bad". I also recognize my boonie hat. I had it pinned up to look like a tri-corner hat from revolutionary/ colonial times. I think there's another of me in a slick with my Pig taken from the side. When you send the tape back, I'm going to see if I can get some pictures printed off it as I only have one photo from Nam.
Assassins! That implies stealth and detailed planning. I seem to remember most of our fighting as reactive instead of proactive. Just stumbling around in the bush until they found us or the other way around. Any way, it's pretty hard to assassinate someone with an M-60. Mostly it's just blow the living sh!t out of 'em and let someone else sort 'em out. No finesse involved!
Like you, I preferred ABU and the tradition it stood for rather than the phony "Assassin" moniker.

ABU Bro!

Dan
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2004, 07:43 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default More 101st entertainment

This happened after I left to join the lrrps. I believe this to be Joey Heatherton. Yo DAn?? Were you there?
Slavik has his tour reeally well documented, over 100 pictures. I'm real sure that this and the other one were the only entertainment he got in a year. That will give you a hint about the 101st.
True Fact: It got hairier sometimes but if I hadn't joined the lrrps, I wouldn't have had any fun at all in the war.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:02 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Back atcha

Quote:
Originally posted by pighmpr James,

You're right. That is me. I had a goatee for a short time. Thought it made me look "bad". I also recognize my boonie hat. I had it pinned up to look like a tri-corner hat from revolutionary/ colonial times. I think there's another of me in a slick with my Pig taken from the side. When you send the tape back, I'm going to see if I can get some pictures printed off it as I only have one photo from Nam.
Assassins! That implies stealth and detailed planning. I seem to remember most of our fighting as reactive instead of proactive. Just stumbling around in the bush until they found us or the other way around. Any way, it's pretty hard to assassinate someone with an M-60. Mostly it's just blow the living sh!t out of 'em and let someone else sort 'em out. No finesse involved!
Like you, I preferred ABU and the tradition it stood for rather than the phony "Assassin" moniker.

ABU Bro!

Dan
Yo Dan

Thanks for checking in. Boy, this tape really brought back some memories--also thanks for telling me its the only one--I'll make some Knockoffs right away, self and Tha Woman have our to VCRs hooked up together just for this. Want an extra copy or 2?
I'm going to go back and retake all these pictures with my gfriends camera, the one you saw in Memphis. I think I can get some much more legible ones with that if I set the camera better and use a better TV. I'll send you a CD, maybe put it on the same CD as my trip so you can get the pictures of us in Memphis I might just buy a new camera (my good one was stolen and I'm still mired in resentment and self pity)

How did you feel when you saw this? You can email me if you don't feel like talking about it here

Abu
James
Old 05-18-2004, 08:13 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Dan

I'm just sitting here remembering you with that hat, yr right, it was a trademark. Remember the time I slept through a rainy night in a captured VC sweater and it turned me PURPLE?? Couldn't even trust the dang clothes in that country, they'd leap out and attackk you

But you KNOW i remember this guy--I was his RTO for a while--yep LT Norris. They combined our [platoon and his platoon (4th) together to form Taskforce Norris. This was a guy that told us all about what a big hero he'd been in...... the HUngarian Revolution?? He must have been about 8. Note the Afrika hat
I saw this guy and SFC hibbert hiding in a hole one night (which I had dug) send me out to see what was happening. I mean there was some ginfire but it was fairly routine. I believe I went over to your MG position and went to sleep

Abu James
Old 05-18-2004, 08:22 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Dan

Wanna see what an assassin REALLY looks like?
http://www.patriotfiles.com/photopos...papass=&sort=1
Proactive, more than reactive....yes, yes....I like that. It was the big difference between being in 2d platoon and being in the lrrps, all right. a reactive lrrp is a dead lrrp after not too long. I remember screwing a a couple of companies of NVA with some 175s and I was thinking of that time they mortared you and me out there in the paddies and I was thinking: paybacks a bitch, aint it?For you and me, Dan
Youre one of the few people in the world that I can tell that I took it to a whole lot higher level then most people dream about and you'll know its not just wannabe bullshit. More like Not Wannabe Bullshit.
Thats why I'm glad youre there
Abu from another Assassin

James
Old 05-19-2004, 06:50 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up JAMES

Your buddy's video is really cool. Wish I had such a record of my tour and buddies. As I age it gets harder and harder to recall the names and faces. Granted, I didn't know some of them long enough to remember or learn their names.

Rifles, Helmets, And Boots. Stood at attention for more than enough of these Airborne send-offs.

I'd like to hook-up for a viewing of the tape sometime. We can do it at my house and I'll feed ya.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:48 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Almost shot a Chaplin one day at band camp , with those rifles , boots and helmets , when he said something about noble death.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:52 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Re: JAMES

Quote:
Originally posted by frisco-kid Your buddy's video is really cool. Wish I had such a record of my tour and buddies. As I age it gets harder and harder to recall the names and faces. Granted, I didn't know some of them long enough to remember or learn their names.

Rifles, Helmets, And Boots. Stood at attention for more than enough of these Airborne send-offs.

I'd like to hook-up for a viewing of the tape sometime. We can do it at my house and I'll feed ya.
you got it guy-you may even see yourself!!

James
Old 05-21-2004, 06:47 AM

James,

Yes it did bring back all kinds of memories, although I only looked at it once on My Dads' small tv. My VCR is screwed up. I watched it with my Dad and wife and was impressed with what Bob had done. I only have one picture. The picture of the dead bodies gave my wife and Dad a start. It's like they got a reality jolt. Yeah, that was my job. That's what I did. They paid me, so I must have been a pro.

As far as Norris is concerned, I'll never forget the day he took charge. He told us not to worry as he was descened from Gen. Custer and he had fought in Prauge against the Russians. I can remember thinking, " Oh Joy!, we're f-cked now. This -sshole is going to be trouble" Sure enough he was.

I don't remember seeing Joey Heatherton. I probably had sh!t burning detail that day. God knows the REMFs couldn't wait 'til we came back in from the field to relieve them of that pleasant duty! At least they left you alone when you had that detail!
Old 05-24-2004, 09:51 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Originally posted by pighmpr James,

Yes it did bring back all kinds of memories, although I only looked at it once on My Dads' small tv. My VCR is screwed up. I watched it with my Dad and wife and was impressed with what Bob had done. I only have one picture. The picture of the dead bodies gave my wife and Dad a start. It's like they got a reality jolt. Yeah, that was my job. That's what I did. They paid me, so I must have been a pro.

As far as Norris is concerned, I'll never forget the day he took charge. He told us not to worry as he was descened from Gen. Custer and he had fought in Prauge against the Russians. I can remember thinking, " Oh Joy!, we're f-cked now. This -sshole is going to be trouble" Sure enough he was.

I don't remember seeing Joey Heatherton. I probably had sh!t burning detail that day. God knows the REMFs couldn't wait 'til we came back in from the field to relieve them of that pleasant duty! At least they left you alone when you had that detail!

I hope you used that nasty smell to cover the smell of a little "dew"

Yes, my memories of Norris are quite strong--don't forget the pipe! With the pipe, the Afrika Korps Hat and the walking stick--oh it was jolly fun strolling through the Song Ve with him in the Summer of Love, all right. the guy wanted me to walk behind him while he kept the handfst clipped to his suspenders. that dam cord was stretched out to the maximo. Thank God we didn't wind up in much sht while we had him there. Whatever happened to him?? I thought for sure he'd wind up the CO. Remember the Robert Duvall charcter in Apocalypse? he reminded me of him.
I saw a few pictures of Hibbert in here--he was another case. This was the one that told me stories about getting his knob poliished by queers untill I told him I thought anybody who could get it up for a queer WAS a queer. He didn't like me after that.

Oh, the days were just packed all right

James