The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Veterans > Veterans Concerns

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-14-2022, 12:38 PM

Thumbs up Troops, veterans becoming less likely to recommend military service, survey finds

Troops, veterans becoming less likely to recommend military service, survey finds
By: Rose L. Thayer - Stars & Stripes - 07-14-22
Re: https://www.stripes.com/theaters/us/...y-6650327.html

Service members and veterans are less likely to recommend joining the military to family and friends than they were two years ago, according to survey results released Thursday from the Military Family Advisory Network.

“That, to us, was concerning,” said Shannon Razsadin, executive director of MFAN, a nonprofit advocacy group. “I think it’s the people who are living this life are having a hard time.”

About 63% of respondents said they would recommend the military — a drop from about 75% in the survey completed in 2019. The reason for the decline could be linked to additional survey data that found more than half of military families have a moderate or poor family well-being, she said.

“That's a really important thing that should get people's attention and making sure we're focusing on the whole family,” said Razsadin, the spouse of a Navy officer. “People who do this and live this life, it’s because of a patriotic sense of duty and responsibility to serve. The reality is that this life is hard, and we can't count on that to be the only thing that helps us get to the maintenance and growth of the all-volunteer force.”

The findings are part of the network’s 2021 Military Family Support Programming Survey, which is conducted every other year to gain insight into an array of support needs for military and veteran families. The survey was fielded online between October and December, with 8,638 people participating, according to the report on its findings.

Respondents, who were either service members, veterans or their spouses, came from all 50 states and Washington, D.C., two U.S. territories, and 22 countries.

This year, researchers introduced a family health scale into the survey, which is a measure of a family unit’s well-being. It uses 10 questions that measure family relationships, heath care, finances and housing to create a well-being score. About 59% of families reported moderate or poor health, according to the survey report.

“These findings paint a clear picture; military and veteran family well-being is related to health care satisfaction, family relationships, financial well-being, housing, food insecurity and the military community,” according to the report.

The results come as the military services have faced a difficult year in meeting their recruiting and retention goals and have been increasing enlistment bonuses and relaxing some regulations such as its tattoo policy to entice new recruits. The Army has been particularly challenged in recruiting, in part because it is the biggest of the military services, said Sgt. Maj. of the Army Michael Grinston.

Negative attention focused on military housing and other quality-of-life concerns also likely is having an impact of people’s willingness to sign up or reenlist, among other factors, he said last month.

“I think that’s one of the things that’s actually hurting the Army,” Grinston said, specifically mentioning negative coverage of military family housing. “We are reluctant to see or read a positive story about the quality of life.”

In 2018, Reuters reported on the dangerous conditions that military families have faced in base housing, including mold growth, toxic exposure, lead-based paint and asbestos, pest and rodent infestations, and water and sewage issues. Many conditions were exacerbated by poor or slow response to maintenance requests. Congress has since stepped in, issuing reforms to attempt to battle the problems.

The MFAN survey does show more than half of respondents living in privatized military housing were satisfied with their landlord’s responsiveness to repair issues. It also found poor base housing conditions were the most cited reason for choosing to live off base since 2019. People also noted a lack of availability in housing forced them to live outside the base.

Meanwhile, the survey found more than 60% of military and veteran families are paying more than they can comfortably afford for housing. That occurs when housing takes up more than 30% of the household’s income, according to the report.

“There is a relationship between family well-being and housing burden. Families who were not housing burdened were significantly more likely to have excellent family well-being than those who were housing burdened,” according to the report.

This divide is seen particularly among officers and the enlisted ranks, Razsadin said.

“The reality is that whether you’re enlisted or an officer, you still need a roof over your head,” she said. “Ultimately, that comes down to finance and compensation.”

Among the five recommendations that MFAN offered to the military in its report was a call for the services to “right-size” the housing allowance paid to service members. When families struggle to pay for housing, it has a ripple effect through other areas. They are more at risk for food insecurity and might lack resources to pay for leisure activities or travel to visit family.

“I think that these things are all connected,” Razsadin said. “We're seeing people having to choose between paying for their housing versus paying for food. The fact that [the housing allowance] and even some of the other allowances like [the cost-of-living adjustment] have not kept up with the reality of the needs of families is really problematic, and I think is a key component to a lot of these areas.”

Other recommendations based on the survey were to increase the availability of health care and mental health appointments, increase the availability of child care, reduce barriers to saving money and conduct additional research on military family well-being. More studies would show what programming changes could have the biggest impact, the report stated.

About this writer: Rose L. Thayer is based in Austin, Texas, and she has been covering the western region of the continental U.S. for Stars and Stripes since 2018. Before that she was a reporter for Killeen Daily Herald and a freelance journalist for publications including The Alcalde, Texas Highways and the Austin American-Statesman. She is the spouse of an Army veteran and a graduate of the University of Texas at Austin with a degree in journalism. Her awards include a 2021 Society of Professional Journalists Washington Dateline Award and an Honorable Mention from the Military Reporters and Editors Association for her coverage of crime at Fort Hood.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personal note: I take exception to that title. I enlisted - I want to learn something - and also I'd rather enlist - then be drafted.
My family men were all former military (WWI-WW2 & Korea) from my Grand-Father; Father; and all Uncle's all former military men.
All are dead now and so is my brother Larry - who later died from AO - like severals of the
guys I used to served with. (God Bless Them).
-
When I went in we didn't have the money for college. Flower Power was in full bloom at that time. I didn't care for the draft dodgers
and on leave it wasn't a warm welcome. My Mom was worried about both her son's enlisting. Larry my younger brother enlisted in
the Army - I went Navy. I want to be a SeaBee but there were no openings. I enlisted in 63 - Larry enlisted in 65. I did 12 yrs -
Larry did 4 yrs. I wanted to due 20 yrs. to get a full pension and full medical.
-
But on my 2nd tour I met a gal who was my best friends girl friend back then - so my leave went by fast and I went back for my
2nd tour of Nam - but she said for me to write her and let her know I was ok.
-
I came home again about 3 or 3.5-yrs later for another leave and went by her house and there she was sitting there with her
two girl-friend's on the swing - and I didn't see Jimmy anywhere (she they broke up) so I ask them if they all wanted to go for
white castle's for fries and hamburgers. And sure as hell she ended up a few years later being my wife. Still married to this day.
We have two daughter's and three grand-kids. Wow - Shit really happens. She was - and is - still an eye catcher for sure - even today.
-
But I recommend the service it's a good training grounds for kids who can't afford college. The military teaches you so many
things - and you have so many options - and if you want it bad enough - you will have to work for it - and study - and when
do you get out you can use that as training most of the time in civilian life as well. Employer's will higher VETS first.
-
My Grandson is considering enlistment - my daughter is against it. He doesn't have the money for college - but he's working
at a job he hates - but he hasn't the training for the bigger money jobs. He signed up for the draft - most likely will not be called
but you never know?

I told him you could enlist yourself - it piss your Mom off and she'd be worried about you
But most Mom's due - but its a decision he as to make.

What branch? - I said that's your call - what do you want to do after your service?
Take what you gain from your military training and learn as much as you can about
what your doing and then when you get out you've got some amount of expertise that
will get you the job with better pay and future opportunities.

My younger daughter said she should have done that - but its too late now.
She's currently a Paralegal and she's damn good at that job and knows the law!
-
So that's my thoughts - how your recommend - or defend - not sending
any of your prodigy into the service - is your call - and mostly their's!
The service is good for those during these times. Believe me!
-
God Bless all those Who Service Our Nation! Right Hand Salute -
and may God Be With You All!

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links