The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-24-2006, 11:21 PM

Default Merry

CHRISTmas Greetings to All from Afghanistan!

Net has been up/down (crashes at the most inopportune times) but gonna try to do a cut and paste of an EMail I sent to some folks a few hours ago. Let's see IF it will work

==============================================

It has been 37 years since I spent my last CHRISTmas in a combat environment. That said, and except for being a little (well...a lot) older, and hopefully somewhat wiser, many of the emotions are still the same, and in some cases, even more pronounced.

It is one thing to be separated from loved ones and friends simply by distance, but quite another to also be separated by circumstance (combat) and a great difference in the surrounding culture. On this "tour," I'm feeling the effects of all three of these factors!

Here's something interesting and positive I want to share...all the Merry CHRISTmas (most use the term "Happy Christmas") wishes I've received from the many Afghan people I deal with on a daily basis...our Interpreters, soldiers of the Afghan National Army, etc. These folks don't HAVE to even acknowledge this very special Holiday to Christians, but they have gone well out of their way to share their greetings and well wishes with me for a "Happy Christmas"...!

One of our former "Terps" called me on the phone from Kabul to wish me a Merry Christmas, and others have sent E-Cards...very heart warming and most encouraging. In that regard, I'm attaching the text from an E-card sent by our #2 Terp, Mr. Hadi, as well as a photo of him and me at a planning session. Mr. Hadi, and young folks like him (he's only about 22), are the hope of the future here in Afghanistan, and the world! He and our other Terps are at great risk working with us, yet they do it gladly hoping for a better world in which to live! EDIT NOTE: NOT ATTACHING MR. H's PHOTO...NOT A GOOD IDEA GIVEN CURRENT SECURITY SITUATION THEY LIVE UNDER.

Yup, it's been 37 years since I spent a CHRISTmas Eve in combat. Cold & Rainy here in Kandahar tonite...was Cold (for Vietnam) and foggy on ZULU Relay (a bleak hilltop) in the A Shau Valley, where I was the OIC of the 3d Force Recon Co Radio Relay site, on Dec 24, 1969. A lot has changed since then, tech-wise (and it IS warm and dry here in my room), but as I mentioned earlier, so very much stays the same. We're expecting the Bad Guys to do something here over the next day or so (incoming or whatever)...folks have warned us about same...JUST AS DID (then) Maj Alex Lee, our famed Boss in 3d Force...when he sent a CHRISTmas message to the Company...to those in the rear and those of us in the field (and HE TOO was in the field)...ending his message by warning us to be very wary of small men bearing gifts...!!!!

The NVA didn't hit us that CHRISTmas Eve night..."stuff hit the fan" on ZULU a nite or so later, which made for some interesting times for those of us perched atop that hill, but not that CHRISTmas Eve nite back in 1969...there was Peace on Earth and Good Will Towards Men...at least on our hilltop...at least that nite!

Merry CHRISTMAS to all from the Cold & Muddy Sands of Kandahar,

Wayne

Wayne V. Morris
Col USMC (Ret)

President
WAYMOR Inc
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2006, 11:59 PM

Thank You, and Merry Christmas.

Namaste,
Gracie
Old 12-25-2006, 02:49 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

MarineVet,

Thank you for serving your country for so long and to the best of your ability. Hand Salute Sir! May the blessings of this season and the reasons for this season fill your cup and all those that serve alongside you in the eastern theatre to overflowing!

Doc Urb

'Time does not heal all wounds but forgiveness will heal all time.'-"The Disappearence Of The Universe"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 04:29 AM

Wayne I do hope youhave a good safe christmas and please keep that sald head down , stay safe cul.
razz
Old 12-25-2006, 06:25 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Lobo!

MERRY CHRISTMAS MY FRIEND. MR. HADI CERTAINLY GETS IT. THANK YOU FOR BRINGING THEM A LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL.

Tom and Deb

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 12-25-2006, 07:37 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Wayne

You are truly a remarkable man my friend.

We wish you and your comrades in that cold, muddy and dangerous place the very best Merry Christmas & Happy New Year that's possible.

We are each and everyone one of us praying for your safe and healthy return upon completion of your mission.

May the good Lord bless and keep you all until that time.

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:05 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

COL...wishing you and yours the best, thanks for all you do!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 12-25-2006, 08:17 AM

All:

Thanx so very much for your replies...your well-wishes...they all mean a lot to me over here.

I'm not doing anything more than all y'all would do if your various situations would allow. It's kinda sad, but all of us open here "know the deal"...we know that our Great Nation is up against a foe unlike ever before...such things as this wonderful season you are all enjoying back there is taken for granted by so many, yet it can all become a thing of the past given the right (wrong) circumstances.

YES, Pack-Man, "Mr. Hadi" gets it...he's seen the Talibs kill too many of his friends and relatives...he knows the deal BIG TIME...and...he knows that the life of relative freedom Afghans currently enjoys is NOT a Done Deal...! Americans should take a lesson from this young man!

All too easy for me to get off on tangents...gotta hit the rack in a few mikes...back at it full-bore tomorrow.

All y'all just take care...ENJOY your CHRISTmas Day...thanks for your continued support of our Deployed Forces...and...

...Semper Fi from the Cold & MUDDY Sands of Kandahar,

El Lobo Viejo Griz de Kandahar,
Old 12-25-2006, 08:41 AM

MARINEVET..........Wishing you and all your fellow Marines, Soldiers, Sailors, Airman and Coast Cuard on active and reserve duty who are bound to complining with duties away from home a very Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year. May God be with all of you.
"I Have Not Come To Bring Peace, I Have Come With The Sword". Jesus Christ.....Matthew 10:34
Old 12-25-2006, 08:42 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Col,...

...One can not sit here this morning, and not feel, and understand the moment,...

...This is the Lords day, for which his birth shall be celebrated around the world,...

....Yet this day is protected, protected for it is the Holy day, protected by you, and the men, and women that surround you as your temporary/permanent family,...

... let them know that those of us, living this American dream here today at home fully know, and understand these moments of sacrifice, and they will always be remembered,...

...There is only one American Soldier in this world,...
... that is all of you,...
... one that is dedicated, and educated enough to handle the mission,...

...Hand Salute,...
...Carry on,...
...Merry Christmas,...

...We all rest today because all is secure,..

...Thank You,...........................

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk