The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2005, 06:01 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Harry Bensinger

I've told his story a few times on this site.I just met with him for an hour and a half as he is still a truck driver and had a little lay over in Minnesota. He was a 19 year old in 1968 who should have died 3 times in one week. His truck cab was crushed by 2 175 gun tubs when the weight shifted forward. [I couldn't see any space where he could have survived. Then he hits a mine a few days later. The sharpnel was every where except for where he was sitting. [sand bags?] They decided to take him out of trucks and make him a gunner on a jeep which would be safer?? In a night convoy the flash surpresser on his m-60 breaks a piano wire stretched accross the road, saving his neck by an inch or two. [the surpresser broke off.] I always thought he was fearless, because after all that he still voluntiered with me soon after, to be on a reactionary forse during a ground attack one night. He told me today that he was shook up and scared but maybe not in his right mind that night. He wouldn't quit. I think I just talked to a real hero. [I've told his story for 36 years. He has never mentioned any of it to his wife.]
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2005, 07:33 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

an amazing man
Old 03-22-2005, 10:22 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Ask him where he got his good luck charm I want on like it....
Old 03-23-2005, 05:41 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Steve...your friend sounds like a good guy to have on your side. Stick close to him!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 03-24-2005, 06:34 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

This is kind of an update 2005 on my buddy Harry. He was kind of a nieve and imature 18, 19 year old kid in 1968 that we all tryed to help out and look after. Most of us were a lot older 19 to 21. When I talked to him yesturday, he still seemed happy and remembered all the 'hugs' he got from the guys in the platoon when he got back from the mine incident. [We were really glad he was alive.] So 1969 he was sent back to Fort Sill and an e-6 who had never been to Nam called him a baby killer. Harry jumped over the table and took him out. He was given a choice back to Nam or a court marshel. He went back to Nam near Plieko and says it was unevenful and near as bad as 1968 near Hue. He stayed in the Army for 19 years. [He's not the imature kid anymore.] It was such a great expereince for me to see him after all these years.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:44 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

" Meeting again after moments or lifetimes is certain for those who are friends " Bach. Sounds like you have helped each other out through all these years , Steve to both of you !
Old 03-25-2005, 05:21 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

It's really been nice emailing, calling and getting reunited with some of the guys from my squad and company of the 585th trans. One of the guys just sent us a part of the history of our battalian from the trans muesem at Ft eustis. It isn't always good things. I left Jan 12 1969. The history reads that a 585th convoy was ambushed March 15, 1969 just after leaving FSB Birmingham on the way to camp Blaze. There were about 40 wounded and the convoy was forsed to return to the base camp. That night they were attacked and because of fog gun ships were unable to support them at first. Things had been real quiet in Jan when I left. [I bet that convoy wasn't supported by armour or anything but a gun jeep.] We haven't found any of the guys from that 1969 time period yet, but I would have known many of them. I guess I'm feeling kind of bad tonight. I was thinking about extending for 2 months over there. Maybe I should have, to be with those boys.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:17 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Steve...you did your time brother. Don't let it eat at you, you did your duty. Glad we met, might not have had you extended.

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 03-25-2005, 06:32 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Steve , shoulda , coulda , woulda , will drive you nuts. Welcome Home Brother in arms !
Old 03-25-2005, 07:14 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

I guess the only reason I didn't extend for 2 more months to get an early out from the army was being hurt in a night convoy. I was riding shot gun with my best buddy Roger [met him last July] when the truck behind us crashed into ours. I fell into a bracket on the wind sheild. The rest of the convoy just let the 4 of us sit there as they drove by with me bleeding from the forehead and eye. It was a few hours before the wrecker came to pick us up. Thats when I figured that I wasn't imortal and it would just be best to go home in one peice as soon as I could. [for the longest time, I did feel guilty about leaving my freinds and thought about going back. Oh Yah, When Roger his wife and I got together last July, we really had a lot of laughs over that night and him taking me to the medics.