The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-16-2004, 09:11 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default I guess it's official

I watched the tape of the Marine in Fallujah who shot the bad guy who was apparently seriously wounded and was not receiving any medical attention. Apparently that Marine had been wounded the day before. The audio many indicate there was some malice in his heart but I'm not sure.

OK, it's confession time. During Tet our Battalion took a town called Ap Cho, it was the HQ for an NVA Regiment. Spent most of the day in the turret of an APC but got out for an hour or two and walked around with a 60. While walking I saw a blown out building, there was an NVA laying on the street near said building. His belly was on the outside of his body and he sure as hell would never walk again. If he could have been dusted off to Walter Reed I'd doubt he could have recovered. Without giving it a second thought I gave him a short burst in the face and continued the mission.

Grandpa, had always told me that if you go hunting it's fine to kill animals but don't ever just wound them. My thought really was, "I'm putting this poor SOB out of his misery". However, I did kill a man who posed no danger to me or anyone in the platoon.

Not trying to give that young Marine a free pass, just happy that there wasn't anyone with a video camera walking around behind me. Of course, if an enemy drops his rifle and puts his hand up it's bad form to kill him but sometimes in combat...

Stay healthy,
Andy
PS: Wonder if those guys who are chopping peoples head off will be put on trial by their own people?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2004, 09:22 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

No one in my platoon was ever captured and no one ever took a prisoner
Old 11-16-2004, 09:55 AM
Doc.2/47

Believe you did him a kindness.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:34 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Putting the brakes on

Before anyone goes rushing off to judgment about what happened, I respectfully suggest that more facts be obtained first. Do we know that the terrorist did not have ready access to a weapon, no matter how insignificant? Do we know that the terrorist wasn't already rigged with an explosive device, a trick that has been done before? Do we know that the terrorist wasn't making a threatening move?

Until, and unless we have hard-core answers to these and other relevant questions, I suggest that the presumption of innocence prevail.

Andy's story triggered a memory for me as well: also during Tet, after sweeping through our area of operations, which included "Widows' Village," there was one NVA feigning death, lying in the middle of the road. I was busy tending to other matters, directing my troops into other areas, radioing for resupply, and sending reports to higher, when I noticed him trying to undo the string/trigger mechanism on a ChiCom grenade. I told one of my NCO's, who was carrying an M-60, that I didn't want to see that SOB moving anymore.

Mission Completed.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 11-16-2004, 11:49 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default threat

Where does it say you can only shot someone in war if they are posing a threat?
After all, What is an ambush? What do snippers do at 500-1,000 yards, How about a B-52 strick over Hanoi.
The problem is the reporter that sent the story.
Or maybe the next time a A-10 swoops in on a tank he should wait for the tank to become a threat, And them there is artilery. There is no threat at 26 miles away, but, we Fire, anyway.
Or how about a cruse missle at 100 miles.
Just my opinion

Ron
Old 11-16-2004, 02:51 PM
Doc.2/47

Mighta

You mighta turned that wounded NVA over to your medic.
You mighta (if such was the case)made sure that your medic knew that trying to tote this fella around with the unit already in a tight spot and needing to move quickly created a serious danger to everyone.
You mighta been advised a short time later that the NVA had died of his wounds.
This kind of thing mighta happened more than once.
Yep.You mighta kept kept your consious clear and avoided any posible legal complications.
But your medic mighta been quietly going a little crazy.
And he mighta had some problems with that later.
And he mighta eventually developed some odd habits like enjoying hanging out with vets who are often a little odd.

Got an idea that if that NVA troop and your medic had been here they mighta both wanted to say:THANK YOU!!
Old 11-16-2004, 03:07 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

The problem as I see it again is not with the Marine but with the f*%king reporters. keep them out of the war zone they get more people killed then anybody. and what about the bastards that cut off heads no-one says a thing because thats there culture I say BS big time.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

We took a prisoner once. Was wearing a NVA Majors uniform. Cost Willie Wogan his life. We never took another prisoner.

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
Old 11-16-2004, 05:19 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

I heard they found that British Lady married to an Iraqi today in Fallujah, She was shot in the Head and Disemboweled for the sin of working for CARE in Iraq trying to give crippled Children a better life. And That Reporter from NBC has the gall to call a Marine recently returned to Duty from being shot in the face a bad person for protecting the Squad and that Reporters worthless life. Like SuperScout said the Insurgent could have been a threat but the reporter didn't understand battle situations and jumped to stupid conclusions . That could get someones Son/Daughter killed in the Future if they have to act like NYPD cops on the Beat instead of Devil Dogs on patrol. Me "I want the Dogs let loose"
Old 11-16-2004, 05:37 PM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

"Cry 'HAVOC', and let slip the dogs of war!"
-- William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar, Act III, Scene I