Distinctions
Contributor 
Angry Racial/Ethnic Identification Form

SAN DIEGO CITY SCHOOLS
Office of the Superintendent
Integration Services and Enrollment Options

PARENT RACIAL/ETHNIC IDENTIFICATION FORM

STUDENT NAME __________________________________

The district is required by state and federal law to report the racial/ethnic make-up of students attending our schools. This is not done by individual student. It is done by reporting numbers in each representative group.

Please designate one or more racial/ethnic group(s) for your child.

O American Indian, Alaska Native: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America), and who maintains cultural identification through tribal affiliation or community recognition.

O Asian Indian: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of India.

O Black or African American: A person having origins in any of the black racial groups in Africa.

O Cambodian: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Cambodia.

O Chinese: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of one of the following countries: (Mainland) China, Taiwan, Hong Kong.

O Filipino: (not Asian, Indochinese, or Pacific Islander): A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Phillipine Islands.

O Guamanian: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Guam.

0 Hispanic or Latino: A person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture in origin, regardless of race.

0 Hmong: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Laos and are of the Hmong culture or origin

O Japanese: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Japan.

0 Korean: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Korea.

O Laotian: (not Hmong): A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Laos.

O Native Hawaiian: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii.

O Other Asian: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of one of the following: Burma, Malaya, Thailand, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Mien, Singapore, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal, Pakistan. or any other Asian country not listed.

0 Other Pacific Islander: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Pacific Islands other than Hawaii, Guam, or Samoa (American Samoa or Western Samoa). Includes islands such as Polynesia. Fiji Islands, Marshall Island, Melanesia, Palau, Tonga, Truk, Yap, or Tahiti.

0 Portuguese: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Portugal.

O Samoan: A person having origins in any the original peoples in Samoa (American Samoa or Western Samoa)

O Vietnamese: A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Vietnam.

O White (not Portuguese): A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.

ADDITIONAL OPTIONAL DESIGNATION

0 Multiracial/Multiethnic: A person having origins in more than one of any of the categories. Please designate:

PARENT SIGNATURE: _______________________ DATE: ______

?Is this not at least a form of racial profiling?? The above sheet was sent home, here in the San Diego area with our children, in this case with my grandson (age 3). I especially found the last option interesting - ie: WHITE, NOT PORTUGUESE!??

Who even put this vote-costing trash together had better pick up a map of Europe, if they do indeed know where Europe is. For here, with this sheet, it but begins. Could this be slander and defamation, perhaps, or just plain bigoted stupidity?

I invite everyone to copy this and circulate it far and wide, and in all quarters, political as well.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

I might be wrong but doesn't this violate Proposition 209?

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 05:21 AM

Ya mean Portugese ain't white? I wonder what lame brain thought up this questionnere. Looks like somebody with a "Magic Job" in the San Diego School system has too much time on their hands.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:21 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

When my cousin first moved to Wisconsin in the late '70's, he found out that, because he's full-blooded Portuguese, he was elegible for minority status. He refused the "privilege". There's so many of us here in MA that several town and cities have sections called "little Lisbon", though in my home town most of our families are from the Azores.

I thought the whole idea of this country was equality. If so why should we have all these catagories of ethnicity. We should all just be called Americans and leave the ethnic stuff to some good-natured ribbing over a few beers. Its a person's character that's important, not the color of his skin.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:41 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default With ya Rev

My Dad was 15 when he came to this country in the 30's. He was classified as an enemy alien . His Dad had been wounded at Verdun fighting for the Germans. My Dad got drafted and spent almost 5 years overseas fighting . When he got discharged he became an American citizen. He was so proud to be an American citizen , he hoisted a n American flag every day and took it down at night. I have never seen another man so proud to be an American. German was not allowed to be spoken in our house. We were not German Americans we were AMERICANS
Old 04-13-2004, 07:44 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Angry

AMEN GUYS, AMEN!

I always found hyphenated titles distasteful! You don't hear the French calling themselves Franco-Neanderthals, or the Indians referring to themselves as Asiatic Indian Transplants!

These hyphenated handles depict, at least in my mind, a temporary status (just passing through so to speak). None of us know for sure where our ancestors originally dropped their bags!

If we love America, If we live in America, if we fight for America, we are Americans, no additions needed or wanted!

And yes, that San Diego City Schools questionnaire was insulting, crass, demeaning, and Big Brotheristic. I popped out a letter of complaint to the President, Senators, the national Media etc. None, save for the good folks herein, and KGTV, Channel 10, San Diego, responded or gave a tinker's damn (yet)! But then, I have just begun to fight!!

VERITAS
Old 04-13-2004, 10:12 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

PROPOSITION 209

Prohibition Against Discrimination or Preferential Treatment by State and Other Public Entities. Initiative Constitutional Amendment.

Official Title and Summary prepared by the Attorney General

-------------------------------------------------------------

Text of Proposition

PROHIBITION AGAINST DISCRIMINATION OR PREFERENTIAL
TREATMENT BY STATE AND OTHER PUBLIC ENTITIES. INITIATIVE CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT.

Prohibits the state, local governments, districts, public universities, colleges, and schools, and other government instrumentalities from discriminating against or giving preferential treatment to any individual or group in public employment, public education, or public contracting on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin.
Does not prohibit reasonably necessary, bona fide qualifications based on sex and actions necessary for receipt of federal funds.
Mandates enforcement to extent permitted by federal law.
Requires uniform remedies for violations. Provides for severability of provisions if invalid.

Summary of Legislative Analyst's Estimate of Net State and Local Government Fiscal Impact: The measure could affect state and local programs that currently cost well in excess of $125 million annually.

Actual savings to the state and local governments would depend on various factors (such as future court decisions and implementation actions by government entities).

--------------------------------------------------------------
Proposition 209: Text of Proposed Law

--------------------------------------------------------------

This initiative measure is submitted to the people in accordance with the provisions of Article II, Section 8 of the Constitution.

This initiative measure expressly amends the Constitution by adding a section thereto; therefore, new provisions proposed to be added are printed in italic type to indicate that they are new.

PROPOSED AMENDMENT TO ARTICLE I

Section 31 is added to Article I of the California Constitution as follows:

SEC. 31. (a) The state shall not discriminate against, or grant preferential treatment to, any individual or group on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin in the operation of public employment, public education, or public contracting.

(b) This section shall apply only to action taken after the section's effective date.

(c) Nothing in this section shall be interpreted as prohibiting bona fide qualifications based on sex which are reasonably necessary to the normal operation of public employment, public education, or public contracting.

(d) Nothing in this section shall be interpreted as invalidating any court order or consent decree which is in force as of the effective date of this section.

(e) Nothing in this section shall be interpreted as prohibiting action which must be taken to establish or maintain eligibility for any federal program, where ineligibility would result in a loss of federal funds to the state.

(f) For the purposes of this section, ''state" shall include, but not necessarily be limited to, the state itself, any city, county, city and county, public university system, including the University of California, community college district, school district, special district, or any other political subdivision or governmental instrumentality of or within the state.

(g) The remedies available for violations of this section shall be the same, regardless of the injured party's race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin, as are otherwise available for violations of then-existing California antidiscrimination law.

(h) This section shall be self-executing. If any part or parts of this section are found to be in conflict with federal law or the United States Constitution, the section shall be implemented to the maximum extent that federal law and the United States Constitution permit. Any provision held invalid shall be severable from the remaining portions of this section.

---------------------------------------------------------
Old 04-13-2004, 10:55 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default HARDCORE...

My believing that no School System in America paid for entirely by The American Taxpayer should be permitted perpetrating such nonsense on The Public aside,...I noticed one more weirdness of such a blatantly purposeful racial profiling for justifying additional financing, other than the strange way The Portugese were classified. Besides, if not White,...just what-the-hell-are The Portugese? The ones I know, look white enough to me,...even with: "My-Shades" on.

The additional weirdness noticed, was that apparently to The politically-correct Crowd ABOVE ALL ELSE,...no mention was made of the many millions here for generations and hundreds of years and/or many millions whose parents were here from the very inception of The United States of America.

Shouldn't the many millions alluded to be just considered plain old Americans, at minimum? Plus, and even though as silly and insulting to REAL Americans as The Questionaire was/is,...shouldn't there also have been an American ethnicity segment to check-off and/or at least showing where ones true allegiance actually lays? Seems sensible to me,...even though such would then be part of an overall quite stupid form.

If you're a: "Guamanian" you're somebody? If you're just an American you're nobody,...and don't even qualify for An Honorable Mention from the foreign favoring ABOVE ALL ELSE and/or politically-correct Crowd? Sure seems sick, strange and perverted to me, my Friends.

Neil
Old 04-13-2004, 11:27 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Race

1st there are only 5 races, White, Yellow, brown, red, and Black.
The area from which one of these races came from makes no difference.
If your a White person from a Black area in Africa, that doesn't make you Black. African is not a race, its a country or continent of residence.
A White person that Has an Indian Mother and a White Father is a ?
This form is stupid and should be filled out stupidly.
When answering the Race Blank I always put "Off-White" or none.

Ron
Old 04-13-2004, 11:33 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Great Responses Guys!

VERITAS