Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Veterans > Veterans Concerns

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-14-2009, 01:19 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Exclamation Buyer: National Health Care Bill Could Still Harm Veterans

Buyer: National Health Care Bill Could Still Harm Veterans

Ranking Member Committed to Amending Adversarial Provisions

Washington, D.C. ' House Committee on Veterans' Affairs Ranking Member Steve Buyer said today that he remains committed to fixing problem provisions of H.R. 3200, the national health care reform bill, that could harm veterans, servicemembers and their families.

"While I am generally opposed to H.R. 3200, it is my job as a legislator and an advocate for America's veterans to improve it as much as possible," said Buyer. "I am pleased that two of my six amendments to protect veterans were approved, but I will continue to work on my other amendments that were blocked last week on technicalities."

Contrary to statements by the Energy and Commerce Committee and the White House, all of the concerns about legislative language in the bill that could harm veterans' health care have not been addressed.

The House Energy and Commerce Committee unanimously adopted two Buyer amendments to H.R. 3200. One would ensure that veterans and servicemembers who choose to carry additional health insurance, along with care provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) or the Department of Defense (DOD), are not encumbered by provisions within the bill. Buyer's other adopted amendment would ensure that the Secretary of Defense and the Secretary of VA retain decision making authority for their respective health care systems, and that the Departments would never be challenged or obstructed by a secretary or commissioner from another sector of government. To view the adopted amendments, click HERE.

However, in its current form, H.R. 3200, could classify certain veterans enrolled in VA health care as not meeting 'acceptable' health coverage standards, exposing veterans to punitive new taxes under the 'acceptable' insurance definition in the bill. The first of the remaining Buyer amendments would make it crystal clear that VA health care is 'acceptable' coverage and ensure that veterans enrolled in VA health care would never be subject to a two and a half percent penalty tax for failing to have 'acceptable' health coverage.

Buyer has received support for his efforts from many Veteran Service Organizations. In a news release dated August 3, 2009, Disabled American Veterans (DAV) National Commander Raymond E. Dempsey made the following statement:

"I applaud Representative Buyer for moving so quickly to amend this legislation in defense of veterans and their families," Dempsey said. "His amendments and bipartisan support from Chairman Waxman are big steps in the right direction. But until that floor amendment is made, our concerns are not fully resolved."

To view the entire DAV news release, please go to the House Committee on Veterans Affairs Republican Members Website at:

http://republicans.veterans.house.gov/

The second remaining amendment would require that any new public health insurance plan reimburse the VA in the same manner as other private health insurance plans. Currently, VA has authority to collect payments from private health insurance for treatment of non-service connected conditions. Private health care collections accounted for approximately four percent of the VA health budget in 2008.

Limitations on the VA's ability to collect third party payments could result in the need for additional funding appropriations.

The third remaining amendment, would also exempt members of the National Guard and Reserve from the two and a half percent individual mandate tax. Under H.R. 3200, if at any time in the course of a year an individual is without health insurance, the individual will be taxed. Members of the National Guard and Reserve while transitioning from the civilian work force to active duty service could through no fault of their own have a temporary break in health insurance coverage.

The fourth remaining amendment would prevent the creation of disincentives to hiring members of the National Guard and Reserve. Similar to the individual tax penalty, H.R. 3200 would levy an eight percent payroll tax penalty against employers that do not provide continuous health coverage to its employees throughout the year. However, providing continuous coverage for National Guard and Reserve members is not always necessary because they frequently transition to and from active duty where they have access to military TRICARE.

Buyer's amendment would prohibit the government from imposing such taxes on employers of National Guard and Reserves members.

To view the amendments that remain, click HERE.

Buyer received assurances from House Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Henry Waxman that efforts would be made to include the additional amendments prior to final action by the House.

"I want to thank veterans for their support on these issues. There is much more work that still needs to be done, he said. "I look forward to continuing to work with Veterans Service Organizations and Chairman Waxman to ensure that our nation's heroes will not be adversely affected by this legislation."

For more news from House Committee on Veterans' Affairs Republicans, please go to:

http://republicans.veterans.house.gov