The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-29-2006, 07:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Anyone have any local ghost stories?

The small town where I live (Fort Walton Beach) originally began as a Confederate encampment of an artillery detachment with two twelve-pounder carronades, and a small cavalry unit.

The mission of the artillery unit was to engage any Union shipping attempting to reach Union-held Fort Pickens near Pensacola via the intra-coastal waterway. The cavalry unit was to guard against any Union patrols from the West.

Union records show, on one occasion, a skirmish with a "small rebel cavalry" unit that "was a success". The Confederate unit never returned.

For well over a hundred years now there have been ghostly encounters with a "Confederate cavalry unit" of about 6 or seven riders. Many of the reports are by people of high repute.

One such meeting occurred in 1962 by a retired USAF pilot and his hunting companions.
While packing up their gear into their trucks at the end of the day, they heard hoofbeats...unusual for this area. They turned and saw a party of about a half-dozen men on horseback coming toward them along the river. As they came closer, they saw, to their astonishment, that the men wore Civil War uniforms.

As the party of men passed, they slowed to a trot, and their officer turned and looked at them.

"His eyes", said Col. Eddleman, "were red."

"His face left me paralyzed with fear. I couldn't move a muscle. I was totally helpless."

The horsemen rode a little way and then just vanished.

Just a little local lore for ya'll!

Steve / 82Rigger
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2006, 07:29 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default ...

...BOO!

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 10-30-2006, 03:51 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

The old witch (My ex-wife) was great at haunting me until I pulled a disapearing act via Florida then Indy.
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 10-30-2006, 04:48 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

I ain't scared of no Ghost. all you got to do is call.
GHOST BUSTERS

Who ya gona call?
Old 10-30-2006, 05:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tina Send a message via Yahoo to Tina
Distinctions
POM 

I swear the house I live in right now is haunted. Not like they bother us. But sometimes you see or hear things that you can't explain

To the past: Thank you for all you did for our Country..

To the future: Thank you for all you will do for our Country

To those we have lost past prestent and future: R.I.P You might be gone.BUT you will NEVER be forgotten
Old 10-30-2006, 05:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to QM3steve
Distinctions
Contributor 

A wireless doorbell sits on a stack of recipe books, on the kitchen counter. The vacuum is running down the hall and I'm doing dishes. The doorbell rings. ???

I wake up one night, the light is on...no one left the bed to turn it on. The switch is on the wall 10' from anyone. ???
Old 10-30-2006, 09:34 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Phone ringing and when you answer it, no one is there. Hate that.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
Old 10-30-2006, 10:25 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Gota good one that Deb can even verify.

There is an old hotel in Blowing Rock, NC. Still a beautiful place, but old. New owners trying to fix it up when Deb, her sister, nephew, and I stayed there a few years ago. In the old days, Teddy Roosevelt and a bunch of tycoons used to spend summers there. Anyway, we checked in and got our rooms. Deb and I went to ours and told Lori and Josh we would meet them in the bar. The walk in closet was right next to the door and I was right there hanging up some clothes when someone starting banging, not knocking, banging on the door. It was less than a foot from me and I saw it moving. I thought it was Josh and opened it immediately, almost during the last knock. Nobody there. Nobody could have moved that fast. Deb was in the head, came out and asked, "who was at the door?" I had been out in the hall looking for anyone, but there was nobody. I told her what happened. We went down to the bar and Josh walked in right behind us. He was about 15 at the time, and we kept telling him that this hotel was like the one in the Steven King book, "the shineing". Deb was joking and kept saying "REDRUM, REDRUM", when Lori came into the bar. By the way, when we went into the bar the song on the juke box was "Hotel California". Lori was almost white as a ghost and said, "Tom....your here????" We all looked at her like she had Lobsters coming out of her ears. She then said, "I was coming down the hall when someone yelled "LORI!, LORI!". She turned around and nobody there or anywhere. We were about the only guests. We told her about the door and she swore Josh never left the room until he came to the bar. We left the bar and on a table was a sign-in book kinda thing where people commented on the hotel and some gave names and addresses. We opened the book and it opened to a page where someone wrote, GET OUT OF HERE, NOW, WHILE YOU CAN! We didn't and nothing else happened but man...it was weird. I can't wait to stay there again.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 10-30-2006, 10:40 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Longellow's Wayside Inn (the oldest still-operating inn in the USA), Sudbury, MA, is haunted by the ghost of Jerusha Howe. She died in 1842. She was known as the Belle of Sudbury, a very pretty and popular young lady. She became engaged to a British merchant captain who gave her a piano forte for an engagement present (must've been damned heavy on her ring finger). He promised to return to marry her but never did. Its presumed he died at sea, or he may have found someone else. Jerusha died a spinster on the 2nd floor of the Inn.

Fast forward to today: her old rooms are available for guests of the Inn. My wife and I were staying in Room #9 which was her old bedroom (Room #10 was her old spinning room). It was about 2AM when I heard a strange noise. I sat up on the edge of bed, looking around, but saw nothing. Then I felt an arm go around my shoulder, then push against the right side of my head, and I found myself leaning on someone. I remember feeling very secure and comfortable, until I heard my wife breathing on the other side of the bed! I stood up, turned, and clearly saw the impressions on the bed where 2 people had been sitting.

My wife had a close encounter with Jerusha when she was playing the aforementioned piano forte. As she played she felt a cold chill come over her (it was June) and all she could smell was oranges. As it turns out, orange blossom was Jerusha's favorite perfurme. I think the old gal heard the piano forte and decided to see who was playing it.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:51 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Pac
There is about 3-4 explanations for what happened to you,
1. your lying out your ass
2. There are real ghost in the hotel.
3. the "NEW" owners are trying to turn the hotel into a "Haunted" hotel for the tourist money (evidence the sign in book)
4. a combination of 2 and 3 with a little bit of 1 maybe.
5. the X files are back

Ron