The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Navy

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-28-2004, 02:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62
Default WTF, SM's are to be done away with??

This ranks right at the top of stupid things the Navy has done in the past few years. #1 stupid thing was putting splittails on the boats this ranks a damed good second!

This is from PSD Bangor Periscope located at http://www.psasd.navymil/newsletters/bangor.doc

Navy Signalman Rating Eliminated
The Navy has decided to disestablish the Signalman (SM) rating over the course of the next year. Approximately 10 percent of SM rated Sailors will be converted to Quartermaster (QM), and the rest will have the opportunity to convert into other ratings. It is important that command retention teams work closely with their Signalmen to ensure they are aware of conversion options, have the most up-to-date Armed Forces Vocational Aptitude Battery
scores on record, and select the CREO 1 and 2 ratings for which they are fully qualified. All Signalmen should submit rating conversion requests by 31 January 2004. Conversions should be submitted per MILPERSMAN 1440-010. Since SM is a Perform To Serve (PTS) rating, all first-term Signalmen must submit conversion rating preferences as part of PTS applications. Signalmen who are not converted into another rating will be permitted to serve until their End of Active Obligated Service (EAOS).

As long as there is a carrier afloat my old rate should be safe from some bean counters ax.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2004, 02:47 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Can you 'splain this so a grunt could understand it ? Thanks.

Larry
Old 01-28-2004, 02:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

Yea. Please explain,
Does the Navy have rank like E-1 , E-2 etc.?
And while your at it what's a splittail?

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
Old 01-28-2004, 03:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Here let me give it a try:
One of the oldest Rates (MOS type thingy) the Navy has is being done away with. They are going to combine a few rates (Put a few job titles together), so the work will never go away. It's just that the job will no longer belong to a specific group of guys. Skivvie Wavers, Signal Men the guys with the funny flags who flap em around, the guys who blinded us poor Airedales at night with a goofy flashing light, the guys who hoisted even stranger looking flags up and down to the top of the mast, they will be no longer!
Only flags they ever raised that meant anything to me were the Ensign. The White one with the Red Triangle in the center know officially as the Foxtrot flag, that was/is for flight opps of fixed winged aircraft. The half white half red, officially know as the Hotel flag that was/is for helo opps. The yellow with the black dot in the center, officially know as Oscar that was a man overboard! All the others will forever be a mystery to me.
Just sucks they picked this rate to do away with. Tradition shot squarely in the ass. Now I understand technology and a couple of the rates being done away with because the equipment was no longer needed or was updated.

Yes, the Navy uses the standard E's and O's like the other inferior branches of the services.
NCO's start with putting on a Crow, that's E-4. Crow is Navy for the eagle we wear with our chevrons. Navy chevrons point down wards because with each one we hold more responsibility.
You become a simi God when you are initiated to E-7 or Chief.
You know almost all there is to know when you make E-8 or Senior Chief. "When I'm wrong, I'm right!"
You are a god when you make E-9, Master Chief!
As for the O's, zero's. We named em right. Ensign, Lt. jr. grade,
Lt., Lt. Commander, Commander, Captain then the Admiralty.

Split tail is a derogatory naval slang name for a Female.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown