The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-29-2006, 05:09 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Bill Buckley - Atlanta - 147th infantry

Met this fine gentleman a few months ago, he is a WW II Vet and fought with the 147th infantry regiment at Iwo Jima. Last week he and I sat down at his house and he brought out a cardboard file box of WW II stuff and we talked all afternoon about his experiences on Iwo and me and RVN. The 147th took over from the marines after Iwo was "secure" They killed over 6800 japanese soldiers in 3 months of fighting on a secure island.

As I left he made a remark often heard from VN vets. "It was good talking to you about this, You know you just can't talk about war experiences to someone who has not been there, they just don't understand". Bill is in his mid 80's and still walks a mile every morning around his neighborhood.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2006, 07:22 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

The 147 during WWII fought the Japanese in the Pacific on Guadalcanal, Emirau, Saipan, Tinian, Iwo Jima and Okinawa. These names are usually associated with the USMC, but no unit, other than the 147th participated in all these battles.

Way to go Bill Buckley
Old 12-29-2006, 09:40 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Ron,

Good point. It wasn't just the Marines that island hopped in the pacific....but they get the vast majority of the credit. Not taking away from them, but they did have help.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:41 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I guess Ron since the Marines were the first to land on these islands is why they are assocated with the Marines. Okinawa was an Army show, the Philippines was an Army show also. A lot of people don't know about the Army's part in the Pacific in WWII since it was mostly a Navy and Marine show.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
Old 12-29-2006, 03:20 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

RR
The Sixth Marine Division might disagree that "Okinawa was an Army show"
As I recall the history of Okinawa The Army and Marines landed and the Army went one way and the Marines went the other way and almost 2 months of fighting latter the island was secure.

Ron
Old 10-28-2010, 05:33 PM

My Grandfather's brother was in an Army unit in WW2. They said he was on Iwo and Saipan. But the 147th was a guard unit from Ohio right? I think he was living in eastern PA, so not sure if he would have been in that regiment. Just curious if anyone knows how to go about finding my great uncles military info and get some facts. Thanks!
Old 10-29-2010, 04:10 AM

yesterday when by to see a preacher friend he was a Marine on Iwo got wounded, he said he was in the second wave to go in was there over two hours talked about the world and how it had changed as he said if he lives untill dec. 3 he'll be 92 he's already wore out one pacemaker we've been real close for over 30 years.

razz