The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2003, 07:50 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Bill in Georgia legislature regarding the Confederate flag

This equates the brave sons and daughters of the Confederacy to the terrorists of 9/11, and the blood-thirsty minions of the Rising Sun. The only union forces killed at Ft. Sumter were by accident...

PC gone wild...

I believe that the only fatality on Fort Sumter was a mule or horse. No soldier was killed or even seriously hurt. The Confederate commander who opened fire was Beauregard, who had only shortly before been the gunnery instructor at West Point for the Union commander, Major Robert Anderson.

I also believe that Beauregard had offered the chance to the Union soldiers on Ft. Sumter the option of leaving peaceably....which the Union Major Anderson declined even though he had zero chance of holding the fort. In other words the Union Major wanted to precipitate a shelling onto a fort that he knew damn well he was going to surrender after a few hours of safely huddling deep in the brick walls.
Of course, this course of action would help the Union commander's promotion career. But I'm sure he didn't let this enter into his decision to precipitate the shelling! (Which is not to say that Beauregard was any less of an idiot for commencing it. For the South to fire the first shot was just what Lincoln wanted. )

At 2:00 p.m. of April 14, according to the generous surrender terms given by the Southerners, Maj. Anderson's gunners were allowed to fire a 100-gun salute before being rowed out to the waiting Union ships. The 100-gun salute was cut to a 50-gun salute after two of the gunners were killed and mortally wounded by their own cannon.

http://www.us-civilwar.com/sumter.htm

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
AN ACT

To amend Article 1 of Chapter 3 of Title 50 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to the state flag and other flags, so as to provide a statement of intent; to provide that no flag which is similar in appearance to or depicts an image of a flag or other symbol identified with any nation or entity which has ever declared or prosecuted a war against the United States of America shall be considered an official state symbol or be flown or displayed on any state property or institution; to provide an exception for museum display; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF GEORGIA:

SECTION 1.

Article 1 of Chapter 3 of Title 50 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to the state flag and other flags, is amended by inserting at the end thereof the following:
"50-3-12.
(a) The United States of America has on several occasions been brutally attacked without provocation by her enemies. On September 11, 2001, terrorists hijacked American civilian aircraft and flew them into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. On December 7, 1941, the Japanese launched a brutal surprise attack against American forces at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. On April 12, 1861, gunners of what would evolve into the Army of the Confederate States of America bombarded and ultimately forced the capitulation of a United States garrison at Fort Sumter, South Carolina. The General Assembly is proud of the fact that Georgia was one of the thirteen states that founded the United States of America and today stands proud in her defense against all enemies. It is the intent of the General Assembly that no symbol identified with a nation or entity that has ever prosecuted a war against our beloved country ever be a part of our state image.
(b) Any other provision of law to the contrary notwithstanding, on and after July 1, 2003, no flag or banner which is substantially similar in appearance to or which depicts the image of a flag or other symbol identified with any nation or entity which has ever declared or prosecuted a war against the United States of America shall be considered an official state symbol. No such flag or banner shall be flown or displayed on any state property or institution; provided, however, that this subsection shall not prohibit the display of historic flags in a bona fide museum setting on state property."

SECTION 2.

All laws and parts of laws in conflict with this Act are repealed.

Old 08-18-2003, 08:00 PM

Default And so, once again,

the extreme "liberal" delegates want to re-write the history books. The outlawing of the Confederate flag(s) will definitely be the next step in this goal. They've already got most of America believing that theCivil War was based on the sole issue of slavery, when in fact, New York State had more slaves before the Presidential order of Emmancipation than any of the Southern States.
I hope the rest of the Georgia legislature sees this bill for what it really is and flushes it down the toilet, where it belongs !
Old 08-18-2003, 09:13 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Angry YA'll Do ya' think it's just a southern thang ! think again!

Ya'll don't think that just our Confederate symbols and flags will be banned how about the Union Jack, the Mexican Flag, French, Spanish, any and all American Indian symbols to include the state of Oklahoma's Flag. there are a lot of Symbols of Countries and entities that have decided to fight the US for the land rights of North America. BTW the 70% of us Georgia State voters keep trying to get our vote to change the flag back but, the Atlanta Taliban are afraid to let us vote like they did in Mississippi
Old 08-19-2003, 07:36 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

It is interesting that is OK for the Israelis and Jews to keep a memory of things from 6,000 years ago and African-Americans to remember 500 years of history and brandish the African flag, but is so "wrong" to remember 4 years of war and the following 20 years of oppression my relatives suffered. Something is way wrong with this picture.

Larry
Old 08-20-2003, 04:55 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Angry A losing battle, MORTARDUDE, is all........

that can be said. The press wants controversy so they cook up lies and falsifications. I live in New York State, I have a distant cousin as a relative who fought and died at Gettysburg in the 37th North Carolina. I am a history buff and lecture regularly on a number of topics, one of which is the Confederate Flag in ALL of its incarnations. A friend of mine who feels the same way and I were interviewed about our feelings about the Battle Flag by the local rag. My friend is related to the Cary cousins who, as if I have to tell you were the first ones to sew the actual battleflags, three of them for Johnston, Beauregard and Van Dorn. In the newspaper article, there is a photo of my friend. The caption reads Mr. Rodger...... explains his view of the Confederate battleflag. While the actual interview was in progress, we both stated that we felt the flag was appropriate for historical events, museums, reenactments and at Confederate grave sites or memorial services for the SCV,MOSB and UDC. We both stated that the flag was too controversial and devisive to fly on public land.

When the article was published, there was NOTHING written indicating our position. They did however, publish the position of the local NAACP folks. Guess what, my friend? Their position was exactly the same as ours. Now the paper has a quandry. Descendents of Confederate soldiers and the local NAACP AGREE on something. So what did they do, they omitted our position.

When the article was published, I freaked, I wrote them a very long and nasty letter about manipulating public opinion and intentionally going for the bad over the good. Well they published my rebuttal but not until two weeks had passed by which time most of the readers had already forgotten about the first article.

I'm getting steamed up again now, just thinking about it!

Bill

King John 2.1.466
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 08:33 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

BIll :

Thanks for the info ! That is one for the books ! The news media can pull some fast ones. But of course, there is no bias, ever...LOL

Larry
Old 08-21-2003, 09:07 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Bill, these same newspapers also conviently forget Lincoln Shut down all Northern newspapers that printed Southern Sympathetic news stories. Editors and publishers were imprisoned and even some newspapers were burned down by Federal Troops if they were anti-Lincoln are spoke out in favor of the Confederacy. All of these quotes came out of the well written book "The Real Lincoln" I bought the book from Amazon.com for my wife and she is enjoying reading it.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:40 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

I am reminded, however, of the case concerning a former (THANK GOD!) senator from Illinois, Carol Moseley-Braun who, a few years ago, took her post on the floor of the people's senate and spoke vociferously to almost universal acclaim against a customary recognition Congress annually bestows upon the Daughters of the Confederacy... her position was granted, the custom was denied, by vote (no one dared resist).

Next time election came around, she lost her seat.

I've been collecting newsclippings about our flag for years. The arguments against the symbol never change.

When the NAACP recently stood before their annual conference assembly and uttered defamatory and false statements, I wrote them a letter demanding a public apology.

Every time things such as this are done, the first effect is deeper entrenchment of my loyalties in the exact place they do not want anyone's to reside.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:15 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default Flags

After Doc Fred and Packo took me to Sheldon Church, a place in S.C. burned down first by the Brits and later by Sherman's men I felt really, really bad. Always knew that Sherman and the boys were careless with matches but a church located in such a lovely spot was a tad much. As a result I bought a Bonnie Blue Flag, not the Stares and Bars which has been associated with lots of hate groups but the original, "We're leaving the Union" flag. Right now it's flying under the U.S. flag in my front yard.
The funny part is no one knows what the flag means. I've been asked if I think I'm a general.
Perhaps if southerners pointed out that 4 out of 5 men in the uniform of the south owned no slaves, that blacks fought for the South and it's a means of honoring fallen soldiers, not a racist thing... No I guess too many people would ignore history and go with emotion, too bad. Makes you wonder if some day our Divisional flags will not be flown because we were racists due to the fact we went about killing Asians?

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 08-22-2003, 10:49 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Andy :

Great post !!! I appreciate you flying the Bonnie Blue Flag. The arguments you have made have been made ad infinitum by the SCV and many other groups and individuals However, because of the KKK, skin heads, neo-nazis, and the proclivity of black groups and leaders to constantly yell racism, slavery, discrimination and all the other bullshit that can come up with to evade responsibility for their actions..it all falls on deaf ears. See the posts about the mural at our local high school. It just "seemed Confederate". Do you think these folks care a wit about history ? Not in the least. Racism against blacks was widespread in all parts of this country before the Civil War and after. Racism in the North was and is in many ways worse than the South. I guess you would have to live in the South to understand what a true "lost cause" trying to discuss this in a black-white context really is......

Larry