The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Military Weapons

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-24-2003, 08:00 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default M 44

Col. Murph,
What about the Russian M 44 7.62X54R? I've been seeing them in Shotgun News for 39 bucks. Are they any good? The Excellent is 59 bucks and the very good is 39 bucks. 10 dollars for hand select or WWII. What are they saying? The 39 dollar rifle is pre-WWII?

Chilidog
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2003, 06:27 AM

That would be the Moisin-Nagant bolt action. They were pretty good. Mass produced from the First World War till the end of WWII. They were exported to just about every third world country in the world hence the $39.00 price tag. Definitely not a collectors item but they make good deer rifles and they are safe to shoot.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:57 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Yes Col,
It is the Moisin-Nagant. For $39, it can ride behind the seat, get scratched, muddy, wet, rusty......Your answer is what I was looking for.

Thanks Col. Murph,
Chilidog
Old 10-26-2003, 03:30 PM

I have several, two M-91/30, M-38 and a finn captured M-39. Like the Col. says, they are fun to shoot and don't cost too much. I am going to get a M-44 sooner or later.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:30 PM

If you can get them for $39.00 BUY! The latest Gun List lists the M-38 Mosin Nagant Short Rifle in 7.62x54 Cal. at $69.95. The Mod. MN 91/30 in the same caliber with bayonet is listed at the same price. You can get a "Mint - Unissued" Mauser 48 Yugoslavian with assesories (bayonet, sling, leather tool kit, leather ammo pouch) for 248.99 A used one is $109.99. These are 8mm and identical to the Mauser 98. They're also listing K98 German Mausers in 8mm for 197.00 (Used but with excellent bores) There are some that were captured at Stalingrad and have been sold by the Russian Govt. which are going for $329.00 for a limited select warly "G" and "K" codes with very good Nazi Proof marks. These were all battlefield pickups or surrendered weapons. Any of these should be good "Shooters" but the Stalingrad guns will be collectors items because of the provenance.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:22 PM

I bought one of the unissued M-48 Mausers and got all the assesories with it. I also bought a used one in very good condition as a shooter.
I also picked up one of the Russian captured stalingrad Nazi mausers. It is dated 41 and is unpinged so all the proofs are still there. It is a byf and has several matching parts but an unnumbered bolt. Got to take it to the range just once before I put it up.