The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-11-2004, 10:46 AM

Post It did matter, It meant something!

This one really brings out the meaning of Veterans Day.

Faith+1
Zoomie

Posted: 09 Nov 2004 08:42 pm Post subject: It did matter. It meant something.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918 World War I ended. Like many, I never gave the day much thought. For some it is a day off from work at best...others barely note its passing. Growing up I have to say I was guilty of both. It didn't matter. It didn't mean anything. There aren't many of those vets anymore. They have a different opinion. To them...

It did matter. It did mean something.

During my stint in the military I had the privelege of being stationed in Europe. While there I took the opportunity to take a tour of famous WWI and WWII battlefield sights. The trip was taken on this very anniversary of the end of the Great War.

On one day of the trip we came across a cemetary for veterans of the Somme. If you have ever rendered the slow salute at Arlington you have some inkling of the feeling one can get looking out upon a literal sea of white crosses and Stars of David. I spent over 3 hours walking among the final resting place for countless warriors In one 30 minute stretch I passed at least a hundred markers all listing the same day of death. Reading the tour brochure I realized over 30,000 had died in a battle that day.

It did matter. It meant something.

The more I walked and read the names and dates I began to notice something else...in the early part of WWI the average age of the soldiers was 18-21...not unusual. By the time I got to markers for the latter part of the war the ages were younger than 18 and older than 25... nearly an entire generation of young men died. Their various nations had paid a huge price for their beliefs using their young men as the currency to achieve those goals.

Perhaps it had affected me so much because only a few weeks before I had to perform the most difficult job one can ever have to do. I had to write two letters to home to try and explain to two mothers why their sons were coming home in flag draped coffins. There isn't one damn thing about those letters that was pleasent. If you have never had to perform the duty drop to your knees and pray to whatever deity you worship you are spared it. To this day I haven't written another hand written letter. Those boys died doing their job as countless others have done before.

November 11 is coming up. I for one am going to stop at 1100 hours and give a silent thank you to those that went before me.

You will only under estimate me once!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2004, 10:58 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

My grandfather was right there when the bugles were blown..there is a new book out about this last day of battle. More soldiers were killed the last day than during D-Day....4 1/2 years of senseless total carnage !!!!

Larry