The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2002, 05:58 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default A Great Day With Sgt Tropo and Wife

When I found out he was visiting the Smokies after retiring last week I sent him an e-mail and invited him to take a day and see Max Patch Mountain. I met him and his lovely wife, Rusty in the town of Hot Springs, NC and Guided them to Max Patch. After seeing me in my Psycovet T-shirt she asked Bob how well he knew me. He told her he only knew me from the internet and you know what they say about chat rooms. It is about twenty miles from Hot Springs to Max Patch and the roads get narrower and more deserted as you go. Rusty swore she saw the place they filmed Deliverance. Anyway, after getting there and climbing up to the top of the hill, they both told me it was everything I had said it was: 360 degress of Smoky Mountains. We stopped back in Hot Springs. It is your average Hillbilly town, you know, Guiness on draft. We had pizza and I had me a couple of Guinesses. They are off to flatter land and maybe even Beaufort, SC. They were great folks.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2002, 07:54 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Cool DOC,

you're turning into quite the social butterfly . That's cool that you got to meet another Vet from the forum. When you comin' out West? Hey, did you WARN them that Packo lives in Beaufort?
Old 09-04-2002, 07:48 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default A Post from Munchkin Land.

So, we get a post from Munchkin Land, (the left coast), wondering when they may be coming out west. I believe that sitting under Mushrooms in California eating mashed yeast will not be as pleasant as the Smoky's or the Lowcountry of South Carolina. Don't hold your breath Frisco........once they get here they'll forget there is anything west of the great Mississippi. I am sure other Southern intellectuals like Gimpy will agree. Also hope you and Kathy had a great time at the Love In or whatever it is you West Coast Hipppies do for entertainment, last night.

Doc, how wonderful you got to meet them. Hope you gave them my phone number. Were they coming to Beaufort before talking with you or did you sell the visit? I agree with West Coast Tommy, you are becoming quite the Social Gadfly, aren't you?

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 09-04-2002, 08:05 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Hillbillies

Rusty was interested in seeing an antebellum plantation house. I told her you would have to go where the land is a little flatter because hillbillies didn't have plantations. Then I mentioned Beaufort and Forrest Gump and Paco. I of course can't find your phone number so I told them your real name (Elvis Presley) and told them to look you up in the phone book. I also told them about shrimp and grits. For you more ignorant out there, shrimp and grits is the breakfast of champions. Or was that Krispy Kreme Donuts?
Yes since retiring I have become a social butterfly. But I can't help wondering, is it me or the shirt?
Old 09-04-2002, 02:46 PM

Thumbs up Grits for the

true Southerner but the whole country learned about them in the Carter years. Doc Fred , let's keep Krispy Kreme a secret OK? :cl:
Old 09-04-2002, 03:56 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking KRISPY KREME

Frank, you're too late Bud. They've been in the Bay Area for over a year now. Are they selling franchises, or just a chain? I don't know. Good donuts, though.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:22 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Meeting the young SGT

and his lovely wife for lunch in the Lowcountry!

Will fill in later.

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 09-05-2002, 09:58 AM

Thumbs up Frisco

I don't know if it's a chain or franchises. I used to get off 3rd shift early in the AM and go the nearest KK and sit and drink coffee and eat a few filled donuts meanwhile you could watch them making the fresh batchs. They are starting to put self serve racks in some of the groceries stores around here now. They are ,to me, the Kreme de la Kreme of donuts. :cl:
Old 09-05-2002, 10:20 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Hey Frank and VOM'S ! My daughter lives out on the left coast and grew up here in Atlanta, she is VERY happy that Krispy Kreme Doughnut Co. set up shop out there. Now she pines for Waffle House and Chick - fil - A when ever we talk. One of the first places we go when she visits. Ain't no grits gettin in this old NJ boys house though. Welcome home, bro's.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:56 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Hillbillies don't eat grits

We only eat blackeyed peas on New Year's Day (for good luck). Catfish is a rough fish. We eat crappie, walleye and trout. I got introduced to eating these southern things in the Army. However, shrimp and grits is something else again. It towers high above it's mere ingredients. Kinda like hot dogs.