The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Spanish American

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2003, 06:35 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Yo, tpad

Quote:
Originally posted by tpad WoW!I am not hear to dispute history with anyone.I was just looking for pictures of Marine Corp uniforms of the time period.If you want to start an argument over this please start your own thread.I am only seeking uniform knowledge.The name for the phillipine war is what came from history books.You want to rename them take it up with your senator or someone with similar interest.I mean no offense but ..come on this argument is far from what I was looking for.
Ah, man can't I spew now and then ? I am not here very often but I do gotta vent --- I know that the history books call it an "Insurrection" but many Filipinos have always objected to the connotations of that word. And, not long ago that "I" word got replaced.

I know you were only looking for an image of the USMC uniform of the day.

Please pardon my Spew-a-thon.

Beau
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2003, 07:30 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default Beau

Hi Beau, how?s Mog?s or Meg, no offense intended. Let me guess, she?s at the age where the old nick-name is no longer a good thing. I remember when our older son Thomas James, (Tom) became T.J., then Teej. It happens all the time.

Anti-miscegenation laws were ended in 1946? I didn?t know that. Wonder what year they ended in the US? With Senators like Strom Thurman and Robert Byrd (democrats and republicans), I?m sure it was much later. In the 60s black men were still getting lynch for being with a white woman. However, it?s all wrong, where ever it happened.

Hey, think again about the tattoo. Those things are so damn hard to wash off.

You know this isn?t a dis against people with Spanish last names but the Spanish did away with the Indians, for the most part. Some historians believe as many as 90% of all people in the Western Hemisphere died as a result of the Spanish taking over the Caribbean and Central America. (Yes northern South America and southern North America too.) It was largely due to a passive extermination; the common cold, syphilis, small pox, etc.

Encomienda system, there's a term I haven?t hear in years. It was done away with, what about 1600(?) and replaced with Peonage. You said you didn?t want to hear about European stuff, so sorry but Peonage did originate in Europe, same-same serfdom. Did you know that Peonage in the Southwest U.S. was something endured by Mexicans, blacks and whites? Yes, mostly Mexicans. In the Southeast it was called Share Croppers, blacks and whites.

Hispanic Vs. Mestizo, ok that could work in like California however most ?Hispanics? in my area are Porto Rican. I?m not sure where they fit on the scale? Maybe we should say rich Vs. poor, isn?t that what it?s all about?

?The Development of The Supreme Court? a course I took many years ago, included Cherokee Nation Vs. Georgia, right up there with Mulberry Vs. Madison. Chief Justice Marshall said that due to treaties freely signed by the Cherokee in the past caused them to give up any right to be a ?foreign? nation, nor were they a State, thus the court did not have venue in the case. When the government paid some of the Cherokee?s to move west they burned the Indians again. They paid them only a small portion in gold, another small portion in cash and the rest in promissory notes which were worthless. No doubt the Cherokee should have hired a law firm from Boston before they signed most of their treaties.

OK, that?s all the comments I wanted to make . Oh, would you believe we were also required to read a book called, ?The trail of tears?? Very sad stuff, sad indeed.

Stay healthy,
Andy
PS: Office politics can be really bad, but it?s a damn sight better than picking asparagus!
Old 07-25-2003, 07:34 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Wink tpad

This happens all the time. People have posted a question such as who was your favorite musical group in the 60s and people end the thread by talking about who should be elected in 2004. It's not you, it just happens.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 07-25-2003, 07:36 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default piccie of the Day tpad --- and oh, Andrew

... Ok tpad ... this piccie of the day is a painting based upon the USMC circa 1913 ... well, atleast it's brown .

Andrew --- hi.

Beau
Old 07-25-2003, 10:48 AM

Default tpad

try the Marine Corps Museum at Quantico. I think the Marines wore the tropical uniform with wide brim cover (like the D.I.s cover).
Old 09-11-2003, 05:57 PM

With respect to the "Insurrection" versus "War" controversy - the U.S. Naval Services refer to the action as the "Philippine Campaign". It is so identified on the medal issued for service in that theater. How's that for non-judgemental?
Old 09-12-2003, 02:08 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I just re-read this thread. Great job Beau and Andy ! It is always a good idea to remind the rabid flag-wavers among us what "manifest destiny" really means. Nobody wins.

Always nice to hear a reference about my old homeboy Davey Crockett as well..

Larry