The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2004, 07:13 PM

Default Your heroes

This site is great at pointing out the bad guys... there are a lot of them - I want to start a thread for people to list out some of their heroes. I'll start!

In no particular order.

1) First Off - the nameless millions who have bled for country and principal... tomorrow is their day. Last year my platoon TAC, who ran my life at the time, made us all remember them with a run and push-ups. Seems a good tradition to continue.

2) Jesus.

3) My grandfather... survivor of a terrible tragedy claiming his whole family in his youth, cancer survivor, farmer, self educated, the strongest person I know. If I could be half the man he is...

4) Dean Koontz, who in a letter to me writes that his motivation is that there is good and evil in the world and he believes that we must constantly strive for the good.

5) John Rabe, aka 'The Good Nazi' giving the credit of saving over 250,000 from death, injury, rape, sale into slavery or other tragic events during 'Rape of Nanjing.' Often compared to Schindler. Wasn't sure if I should put a devoted Nazi on the list... but this one gets my seal of approval... Hitler did put him under investigation for asking for asking Hitler in letter to use his influence to remedy the situation. Any man Hitler was suspicious of treachery is someone we can be suspicious of greatness!

6) Buckminster Fuller, a whole lot of bad ideas, a few good ones and a long string of failures, but he never quit inventing. My traditional education is in architecture and this is the only person resembling an architect that I would consider putting on this short list.

7) Ronald and Nancy Reagan. Oh let me count the ways!

8) The fictional character played by Sinatra in 'The Manchurian Candidate' I guess it's cheating to put fictional characters on the list... I could fill this up with all the GIJoes I grew up with if fiction was free-game!

9) A sailor who I'll grant annonymity who still mournes his lost buddy so many years ago. His dedication to his buddy and his country and his council to me, a stranger, while I was at a T-intersection in my life are all incredible. He has influenced me greatly.

10) Oliver North... although I am trying to leave the numerous military heroes off this list (see #1)... he get's special note for his actions since retirement from service... it's debatable if he's even retired!

11) Johnny Cash - not a real big fan of his music (althouh it makes it to my truck's stereo on occassion)... but one hell of a man. It's too bad he never was able to wear a rainbow in his lifetime.

12) Bruce Lee - Considered to be one of the best specimens of fitness ever with his body trained nearest to perfection any person has ever reached... not to mention an amazing philosopher (you should read his books) and the inventor/founder of his own form of martial arts.

13) Martyrs who have lost their lives for their causes - for me the one that leads the pack (right behind #2 above): John the Baptist.

Those are just a few off the top of my head... I'll post it now and add more later... curious who the rest of you will add of your own!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2004, 07:23 PM

Oh... and Tony Blair

Quote:
Originally posted by thebrad in responce to post by MilitaryImagesBlair makes my short list of heros - one of only two politicians. Your nationality is definately something to be proud of.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62
Default Re: Your heroes

I enjoyed your list. Mine comes and goes, names added and deleted as my mind changes.

Surely those Vets that have gone before us, they granted me the freedom to live in this great country.

Benjamin Franklin, for his insight and thoughts for the future.

Thomas Edison, for all he has given us that we take for granted.

Erwin Rommel, the greatest tank commander to ever live.

Cal Ripken Jr., for showing up every day and giving his all.

Dr. Hugo Eckener, for his work with Zeppelins, never giving up!

Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness, for trying.

Bobby Sands, for believing with his life.

Yes, I'll add the Reagans as well.

John McCain, for being a living model of the Code of Conduct.

One comment on Johnny Cash. I enjoy his music now that I understand his message. I think as wise as he was, his love for June blinded him from seeing her as his rainbow. The man in Black will forever live on as a legend.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown