Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-21-2003, 11:49 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default U.S. Sailors Get Glimpse of Vietnam War

U.S. Sailors Get Glimpse of Vietnam War

November 21, 2003 01:42 PM EST

CU CHI, Vietnam - As the sound of gunfire exploded around them, the American sailors made their way through the jungles of Vietnam on Friday - this time as tourists.

As they fired off AK-47s, crawled through dirt tunnels, and walked through a booby-trapped forest, the Americans touring the Cu Chi tunnels found echoes of the Vietnam War coming back to life.

"I've read a lot of this stuff in the past, but seeing it for real puts things in a whole new perspective," said Don Shrader, 31, of San Diego.

Shrader was part of the 200-strong crew from the USS Vandegrift, the first U.S. Navy ship to make a port call in postwar Vietnam. The frigate's journey up the Saigon River on Wednesday was a sign of how far U.S.-Vietnam relations have come in three decades.

Many of the sailors weren't even born when the Vietnam War ended in 1975 with the collapse of Saigon, capital of the U.S.-backed South Vietnam. The city was renamed for communist leader Ho Chi Minh.

On Friday, 18 sailors spent part of their last day of shore leave to see a bit of the history.

"This is the one tour I had to come on. I'd always heard about the tunnels, but you never realize how small it is," said Wayne Sherman, 31, of Bristol, Conn.

The Cu Chi tunnels, 40 miles northwest of Ho Chi Minh City, were an underground labyrinth used by communist forces during the Vietnam War.

Built by hand, the tunnels stretched for more than 156 miles and included three levels, the lowest about 25 to 35 feet below the surface. During the war, as many as 6,000 guerrillas lived in the underground complex.

Dressed in a green camouflage uniform and sandals, guide Lai Van Bong pointed out the small trapdoor entrance. His audience laughed in dismay. But a few volunteered to try it out.

Squeezing his body into the opening, 22-year-old Larry Batiste of Houston, slid down and disappeared from sight. When he re-emerged, he needed a helping hand.

"Whew. That's really small. It would be hard for anybody to get around, especially Americans," he said.

The sailors were then led through a jungle laden with trip wires as the sharp crack of gunfire from a nearby range exploded around them. For $1 a bullet, some of them fired rounds from an AK-47 or an M-16.

"When you think about the history of the place, you can picture it better now," said Kent McDougall, 23, of Rolla, N.D., as he clambered on a top of a war-era tank for a photo.

"It was a little emotional, said Brent Geesaman, 26, of Detroit. "It's helped me picture what the war was like."

War tourism has become big business for Vietnam. At Cu Chi, some 500-600 visitors pass through daily, said guide Bong.

"We get a lot of U.S. veterans who come," said Bong. "This is normal."

But for this group of Americans, it was a history lesson they won't forget anytime soon.

Crawling on their hands and knees through the dirt passages, which have been broadened for Western visitors, the sailors said they had new respect for the Vietnamese fighters.

"Disneyland doesn't have nothing on this," said Chris Burns, 35, of Baltimore, as he emerged from a 100-yard-long tunnel, completely drenched in sweat. "It's amazing that people stayed down there so long and adapted to this environment."
http://start.earthlink.net/newsartic...7UV5P200_story

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2003, 12:01 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

How appropriate. Three decades ago in Viet Nam , in the last major offense of the war , I got most of my supplies and most of my arty fire from a rather large FSB VANDERGRIFT.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:42 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default MILES,...

....156 miles doesn't sound like a great number when it is compared to the "great Wall of China", but in terms of teaspoons of dirt being removed to make them,... the enormity is mind boggling,...

...I'm surprized we haven't found anything much to the same sort in Iraq,... Afganistan has it's caves, some natural , most not I'd bet, but 156 miles of tunnels tied together in what was not a "crude fashion" must have been quite nasty to work in/around,...

..."Welcome Home",...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 11-21-2003, 03:32 PM

Joy,

I seen that on TV last night, and it made me wish I were still in the Navy,

The Navy dont get much respect for being there, but we were.

My God, How Vietnam along with our USA moneis has rebuilt Saigon.

One guy, ( dont rememeber the name), His dad was there even before the little younster was in the oven.

BTW, looked as if Vietnam was welcoming them as much as the Phillipinos did,

enough......
Old 11-21-2003, 06:49 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I have a lot of respect for the Navy that served in Vietnam.

My brother-in-law was a Seabee, a friend since age 13 is a retired Navy Chief and Darrel's son-in law (yes, he's a cradle robber but as long as he makes her happy :re: ), all in the Navy and Vietnam.

Lots of people don't get the respect they deserve for being there but as long as they don't lie about it they are OK by me. :cl:

Joy

Old 11-21-2003, 09:40 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Cool CU CHI TUNNELS

Been there, done that as a tourist last Spring with Exlrrp and Kath and Sue. Got the pictures [look in the GALLERY]. We all did the AK-47 thing. I won a hat for my marksmanship. Still a dangerous man with a weapon . A very impressive place. Had to be a very scarey place for the Americans that fought there [ANDY & LARRY].

Those sailors are having a good time in Saigon. We did! Definately not the same city as during the war, for those of you that saw it then.
Old 11-22-2003, 06:12 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Still on the cutting edge

Now Dang it Tommy, didn't I tell you that as soon as we started doing it then EVERYBODY would want to do it too?? See what I'm wearing now?? EVERYBODY will be wearing it next year
I think its terrific and I'm glad I lived long enough to see it--I encourage EVERY Vietnam vet to go back and see it, it will put a lot of ghosts to rest

James

You can see Tom blazing away with the AK at:
http://www.patriotfiles.com/photopos...papass=&sort=1
Old 11-22-2003, 10:37 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

My Ship, USS Canberra, CAG 2. last time the Vietnemese encountered a Cruiser this was what it was all about.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:43 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

You light up my night...
Old 11-22-2003, 10:51 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

In coming