The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-25-2004, 05:36 PM

Thumbs down California is driving away jobs.

State driving away jobs, study says
Almost 60% of California business leaders have policies against growth here.

By SAM ZUCKERMAN
San Francisco Chronicle

SAN FRANCISCO ? Discouraged by high costs and strict regulations, just under 60 percent of California business leaders interviewed for a new study said they have policies to restrict job growth in the state or move jobs to other locations in the United States.

The study, conducted by the consulting firm Bain & Co. for the California Business Roundtable, marks one of the most ambitious efforts yet to analyze the political hot-button issue of the state's business climate. It is scheduled to be released Thursday.

The Roundtable, representing large corporations in the state, has been at the forefront of the argument that California is hostile to business, driving companies away and destroying jobs. Although it worked with the Roundtable, Bain said it wasn't paid for the study and reached its conclusions independently.

The consulting firm interviewed chief executives or senior managers of about 50 small, medium and large companies with extensive operations in the state.

About 40 percent said their companies have an explicit policy to move jobs elsewhere in the United States, with Texas cited as the most frequent destination. Not counting those companies that must stay in California, such as retailers or health-care providers, the proportion of businesses that said their policy is to move jobs rose to 55 percent. Another group of executives, just under 20 percent of those interviewed, said their policy is to avoid adding jobs in California, except when absolutely necessary.

The cost of doing business in California is about 30 percent higher than in the average Western state, largely because of higher wages and benefits, according to the study.

Bain also attempted to measure the cost, uncertainty and complexity of California's environmental, labor and other regulations. It constructed what it called a regulatory hassle index that took into account such factors as compliance costs, the threat of lawsuits and delays in obtaining permits that hamper operations.

The index showed that "California is far worse than any other state in the union, by a very significant margin," said Jeff Melton, a partner in Bain's San Francisco office. "California is going to lose jobs," Melton added.

University of California, Berkeley, economist Michael Reich, who has been skeptical of the hostile-business-climate claim, said the Bain study overlooks the fact that employers have been moving jobs out of California for decades. For example, high-tech manufacturers such as Intel and Hewlett-Packard put most of their U.S. production in such lower-cost states as Idaho, Arizona and Oregon years ago. As a result, California has become a center of highly productive and valuable activities, such as research and development.

"Our high costs are symptoms of success, not failures," Reich said.

OC Register

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ain't it wonderful?
Not a wonder how this state is so ate up.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2004, 06:05 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

1ID -

Yup, pretty hard to imagine an economy where success is measured (by some) according to how much is LOST
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 08:26 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Prof. Reich has three needful things,

First he needs some oxygen as the rarefied air up there in Berkeley Liberal academia has got him quite foggy headed and hallucinating. Second he needs a calculator and some real field acquired data that is not compiled or massaged by UC Berkeley?s staff for the justification for social/economic insanity. Finally, he needs to memorize the one liner ?Be careful what ya ask for as yer likely to get it?.
Of all west coast institutions I would rank US Berkeley as first name on the first page of those owning institutionalized contempt and disdain for free enterprise and business. Plus there are dozens of blank pages before ya get to the second name.

But at the end of the day he may be a bit prophetic as Cal could very well cull down to research Scientists and their non-taxpaying illegal gardeners and maids and that?s it. But chances are the Research Scientists will be non-taxpaying illegals as well so it all will be one big happy family I suppose.

Scamp