Old 02-16-2003, 08:42 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default From Gucci to government-issue

From Gucci to government-issue
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification Number: 2003214165543
Story by Cpl. Ethan E. Rocke

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(February 14, 2003) -- Many Americans have heard the theory that America's upper-class shun military service because they have the luxury to do so given their financial stability.

With today's average military recruit coming from America's middle-class, many people might agree with this theory.

However, one of today's newest Marines would probably be one of the first people to disagree with them.

PFC Christophe Radel, Platoon 3150, Company L, lived and prospered for almost ten years among the socially elite in Beverly Hills, Calif., rubbing elbows with movie stars as the headwaiter of a trendy restaurant there.

He worked his way through college, taking home a substantial paycheck every month and living comfortably.

After earning two Associate's degrees and a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with honors from California State University Los Angeles, it seemed things could only get better for the 29-year-old French immigrant.

In 2002, as Radel set his sights on the future and a master's degree from the University of California, Los Angeles, he was haunted by the notion that even with all his success and accomplishments something was missing in his life.

"I was applying to UCLA when I realized I had always dreamt about serving in the military," said the soft-spoken Marine.

It was that realization that eventually motivated Radel to trade Gucci and Mercedes Benz for combat utilities and Humvees.

Radel, who describes himself as driven, anxious and adventurous, said it was his search for something "higher than himself" that drove him toward the Marine Corps.

"I felt the Marine Corps would offer me the kind of environment I needed in order to further myself as an individual," he said.

According to Radel, it was his brother-in-law, a Marine second lieutenant, who turned him on to the opportunities and experiences the Marine Corps could provide him.

Once the seed was planted in his head, Radel was ready to pursue his dream of military service in the United States Marine Corps.

He initially wanted to join the Corps through the officer program but couldn't without becoming an American citizen first, so his recruiter suggested it would be easier to earn his citizenship by enlisting in the Marines first.

But according to Radel, his motives for joining the Marines were influenced heavily by the Corps' exceptional reputation.

"The Marine Corps impressed me," he said. "The work ethic, the pride, the sacrifice-I wanted to be a part of that and become an even stronger individual while a part of something far greater than myself."

Had Radel stayed in France, he would have been required to serve in the French armyRadel said since joining the Corps, he has tried to live up to the high standards expected from U.S. Marines.

"I believe if you do something you should do it right and to the best of your ability," said the 6-foot-tall, slender Frenchman.

According to his senior drill instructor, Radel's character and level of maturity made him stand out as an exceptional recruit throughout training.

"He's definitely my most mature recruit and one of my most disciplined," said Staff Sgt. Richard N. Davis, senior drill instructor, Platoon 3150, Company L, "He's all over any task we give him. He has a lot of initiative, and I can rely on him to take charge."

According to Davis, Radel did not serve as guide or a squad leader in his platoon only because his heavy French accent acted as a communication barrier.

"He's an outstanding recruit," said Davis. "He knows what he wants."

According to Radel, what he wants right now is to stay in the Marine Corps for at least the next six years and become an officer.

"I'm proud to have earned the title, but this is just the tip of the iceberg. I intend to work hard to live up to the reputation of all the Marines who came before me," he said.

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links