0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2003, 06:42 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Bob -
I'm horning in here on this, out of order a little bit... but am wondering, though I mostly agree with what you are saying, whether or not and to what extent it might just be those who CONTROL what is broadcast in our media, i.e. huge conglomerate corporations, who are doing as you say? They are VERY tight with certain high-ranking officials of our government, so why they'd be doing this is very confusing. Supposedly it's a "free press" in america, but we all know there are some limitations imposed behind-closed-doors on that freedom, so it is not total freedom at all, and I'm not talking about stuff that should not be reported for security reasons either.

What grates the crap out of me is, for one thing, it's as if judging from the images we see and words we hear there is only ONE news camera in Iraq! A few special reports get done of course, and the newspapers tend to include more detailed stories once in awhile... but we are not getting anywhere close to the whole picture. Even PBS/NPR retell the same headlines every single day, they just vary the talking heads a little better.

I'll get outa here before you guys start shooting...
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2003, 03:28 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 

Hawk: Do you really BELIEVE that "Huge conglomerates...very tight with certain high-ranking officials of our government"control the news media in this country? And that there is only ONE news camera in Iraq? Or that ANYTHING broadcast on PBS/NPR is NOT biased?Good grief,Man!You,Sir are either very naive or extremely paranoid.Furthermore,I take umbrage with your political spin being injected into the honorable and solemn post that you so thoughtfully began.Leave the politics out of it,please.Thank you.

Peace,Griz
Old 08-26-2003, 05:37 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Griz -
a) I was responding to BobK's post, in which he said basically a similar thing.
b) I probably did not get the words out as well as intended, however:
- Yes, I not only believe it, I know it for certain that huge conglomerates own and operate and, yes, control through their management and producers (and our FCC) every single word we hear and image we see. It's called propaganda. Ask any war correspondent what happens to their reports after they are written.
- I said that, "it's as IF there is only one news camera in Iraq". I'll stand by that until proven wrong by the evidence.
- Yes, I DO believe that anything broadcast on PBS/NPR IS also biased, but at least they make an attempt to tell another official side.
c) Pretty difficult to avoid having some mention of politics when it comes to The Wall, sir... and in any case, I didn't start that element going in this post.

That's a nice quote you use for a closing on your posts.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:38 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

I think there is a time and place for everything and for me memorial threads for those we have lost should just be devoid of political pontificating.

When I went to the Wall there was nothing on my mind but the men represented there and the tens of thousands that have died since and are still dying from service related causes. The same withthe Korean War Memorial. The same when I go to my husband's resting place. Just his life anddeath are in front of me. Our love, our hopes, our dreams,his smile and courage beyond words in thosefinal days.

The sum total of all these monuments to me is found in the title and contents of the book "They Were Soldiers Once and Young" and as Larry has well noted

"We stood up and took care of our own. No more and no less can you ask of any man"

My heart could not receive nor my ears hear the words of any person that moved into my space with any talk at all let alone political chatter whenI'm standing on sacred ground.

Just my thoughts...

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 08-27-2003, 05:13 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I would agree... when I wrote the first words of this post there was no expectation what might be returned, if anything. Tender and deep are the feelings, about that particular monument, for some of us, as would be true of other ones for others.
The waterfall of words which has come since covers the gamut, and the post unintentionally offered a place for their expression, in whatever way the authors saw fit...all of which are part of the sorrow, the rage and the memory of my generation.
I imagine that my response to The Wall will be very much similar to yours, Little Sparrow.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tina Send a message via Yahoo to Tina
Distinctions
POM 
Default it took me

like 24 year to get dad to the wall..
It was the greatest think I have ever done.. Dad and mom are glad I finnally got him there.. I thank God I went..
love ya all
Your friend and God Bless,
Tina

To the past: Thank you for all you did for our Country..

To the future: Thank you for all you will do for our Country

To those we have lost past prestent and future: R.I.P You might be gone.BUT you will NEVER be forgotten
Old 08-27-2003, 05:07 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

God bless you, too, for making the effort to help the family get there...

I'm on my way soon.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:44 PM

Default B3196

Bob,
I guess you must have missed my second post. In it I described that my first post was a satire. I have only the highest regards for our fighting forces in Iraq. The point I was making was this;
the Wall was designed and built with monies from vets and their families. NO MONEY was provided by the US Government. The WALL was accepted by the Parks Service for upkeep ansd maintainence, but again no monies were provided for this effort, except by vets and their familes (and a very few others that support our troops).
Now with GWI and II, I have the feeling that it will be more of the same. Hence the reference to a "sand box with little oil derricks". This is not a slam to our men and women, but a compliment that they served in a hostile enviornment that is seen by the world more as a resource for oil than country of repressed and abused people. This is the reason I said a "little sandbox", because these people have such a small viewpoint of what is really happening over in Iraq and why.
"Our own" people (of the US) have already started the policitally correct action of nay-saying and slandering our troops and thier mission. This is a shame. Unfortunately, it is championed by the press and those more concerned with their pocketbook than with the humanity of the effort.
Mark my post, my friend, when our men and women do come home, if the current climate continues and increases, our forces will not come home to accolades and parades, but to things more remenisent of what we, the Vietnam Vets, got and that is unacceptable ! I for one will be on the street corner cheering them on, waving the flag and helping to remember those that did not come home.
Again, to those reading this thread and thereby my posts, I again apologize to any that feel their feeling got hurt because of my comments. I can only ask that you go back and re-read my original post in its entirety and see that it was and is a satire and a tribute to those serving. I pray daily that God protect them and bring them safely home. But most of all that He grant them the victory in ALL their efforts.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:52 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Sarg.
No problem.....I just wanted to make sure you hadn't fallen victim
to the one sided news media reporing system. One of my biggest pet peeves is the news and its ability to report what makes money...not the truth. And if you really want to fire me up, get me involved in any conversation regarding the media. There I go again......someone needs to kick this soapbox out from under me
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 09-16-2003, 11:03 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Bob K -

Yep, seems like its sometimes hard to think of The Wall without having to remember what you guys are talking about... my guess is that seeing it in person kinda puts all that aside, at least for awhile.