The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Other Conflicts > Twentieth Century

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-19-2015, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 
Default January 19, 2015; MLK day

When I first came to Georgia for Basic Training at Ft. Benning it was 1965. There was a Georgian that you heard about almost every night on the evening news who was the Pastor of the Ebenezer Baptist Church in down town Atlanta. His name was Martin Luther King Jr. and he "had a dream."
Atlanta in 1965 was slum almost everywhere but today it is a beautiful city. You see construction equipment in almost every corner of the city where people are building. It took hard work to make Atlanta what it is today.
MLK will always be celebrated in America for what he believed and what he did and one of his dreams was that you got an equal pay check for the guy who did the same work that you did, BUT (there's that nasty word again) if you did not work, you did not get paid. On the evening news you never heard the word "liberal" and MLK's name in the same sentence. Martin Luther King worked diligently every day of his life for what he believed.
Imagine this, the alarm clock wakes you up, you get out of bed and go have breakfast. You put on "work clothes and head out to the job to "earn" what you work for. It's TGIF and you get your pay check for what you did last week and take the check to the store and buy what you need. If you don't get out of bed you don't get a paycheck and you don't go to the store.
Martin Luther King never once said that you could sleep all day and expect someone else to work to put the food on your table, clothes on your back and a roof over your head. Martin Luther King knew that it took work to earn a pay check and that if you were qualified to do the job then you could get the job as long as the employer was hiring. It's up to the employer who interviews and checks credentials that hires the new employee. More than likely it's the one that has the best attendance and work record that gets the job. Not the person who has no record at all, unless the job requires little skill and you might be hired at the lowest wage that the employer pays.
Even then if you don't work, you do not get paid and put back on the streets earning $0.00.
You can be sure that your employer is watching you to see if you deserve to EARN a higher wage and can be depended on even more. Are you an asset or are you a liability?
A higher wage normally means more responsibility. It takes WORK to be equal and it takes work to earn a living in America.

"EQUAL"
has to be WORKED for.
EQUALITY is EARNED and NOT FREE
I heard it on the News
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2015, 12:37 PM

Stick

There's only seven words I have issues with in you post, and that's"Atlanta in 1965 was slum almost everywhere".
I was t transferred to Ft. Benning in January, 1963 to August, 1963 after spending two years at Ft. Richardson, Alaska. My girlfriend and I spent two seprate weekends at the Howard Johnson in Atlanta during that time. From what I recall, downtown Atlanta was very clean and modern. New buildings everywhere you look.
I'm not taking a stand there wasn't any slums that existed during that time, of course there was. I just believe slums existed in low income areas more, like everywhere else and still does today.
"I Have Not Come To Bring Peace, I Have Come With The Sword". Jesus Christ.....Matthew 10:34
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 

I went into Basic in August of 1965 and the Atlanta that I saw then was pretty bad compared to the Parma Hts., Ohio that I came from BUT (there's that darn word again) after Basic I went to AIT at Fort Puke, Louseyanna.
While at Ft. Puke a friend and I caught a bus to spent the weekend in Bossier City, La. There was a few of other troops on the bus and it stopped about half way to Bossier City at a restaurant around 7:30 at night. We went into the restaurant and all us GI's sat down together at a couple tables when the waiter came to a table and said "we don't serve no nigras here, he will have to leave here and eat somewhere else. They do serve nigras next door and only nigras will eat there. We all had our uniforms on including a single black Spc. 4, because that was the only way to get a discount on Greyhound.
That guy wouldn't have lasted a day at APO San Francisco, 96238. He was probably one of the guys that Jimmy Carter pardoned the day he took office.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:21 AM

Stick

You did a 180 degree turn. You open this page by talking about MLK and the conditions in Georgia when you was going through basic at Ft. Benning. Then you post a message about being denied services at a café in Louisiana. Then you mock Ft. Poke and the entire state of Louisiana because of what one waiter told you. I doubt If Doctor King would approve of your actions.
"I Have Not Come To Bring Peace, I Have Come With The Sword". Jesus Christ.....Matthew 10:34

Last edited by WateringHole; 01-25-2015 at 07:04 PM. Reason: wrong event
Old 09-02-2016, 05:53 PM

Stick I'm surprised that happen to you and your friends. Especially in uniform that's uncalled for. I have black friends and one who saved my ass once. I live next door and in a neighborhood that is 70% black - it doesn't bother me unless they bring it to me. But most of us get along - the gangs are too busy selling their drugs and killing their own to bother with us. It's a shame that there isn't decent employment available they work the streets to make a living and I blame our system who knows this.

Don't judge all whites based on the few who ruin opportunities to all with their old ways.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"