The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Airforce

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2003, 08:33 AM

Default experiences with the AF

Hello all,
I am set to leave for Lackland AFB July 29, and i was jut wondering what are your experiences with the air force? Is your time in or was your time in enjoyable? What is there to expect?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2003, 09:40 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Hey Greg this is what I posted before but I am reposting it here in case someone else comes looking for info here it is

I remember that Hot Summer of July 24th 1980 when I Joined the US Air Force and entered Lackland AFB.There I met my first Technical Instructor. he kept yelling pick 'em up and put em' down.... well, here is some good info you won't see your civvies for 6-8 weeks so all you need is a small carry-on bag for the Airplane ride to San Antoine TX with your toiletries, and some clean underwear and socks and one or two changes of clothes. I wasn't told before hand about the civilian clothing shakedown and had two big suit cases and lots of stuff I didn't need for Basic Training.
Now for the interesting stuff the TI will assign people to different details The biggest detail "house mouse" he gets to keep the TI's office clean and is always getting the TI's attention , then there is the "Latrine Queen" if selected you will be responsible for keeping the latrine shiny and clean and will always be the last one taking a shower to make sure the shower is clean. then of course their is the "Squad leader" and "Dorm Chief " they are responsible for their sections of the barracks. another high profile detail is "Chow runner" and the main thing you do is make sure you get your flight in first to eat for chow breakfast,dinner, and supper. and you get the pleasure of addressing the snake pit three times a day requesting chow for you and your buddies I got to do that for 6 weeks and by the time I graduated from basic all the TI's had pulled 341's from me for messing up the spiel you say to request chow. The most fun Detail to get is Laundry so volunteer for it here is the reason why you get to go out of the barracks down to the laundry and wash all the flights clothes and while you are waiting to put the clothes in the dryer while they wash you can make phone calls, smoke if you got them, and drink a coke from the vending machines that are right there on the patio next to the laundry . So remember this is one detail that has its good points plus you will get all your socks back from the dryer
Now for the Fun Stuff enjoy your MRE's at the obstacle course, going to the rifle range and getting your first hair cut "buzzzzz Job" and believe it or not you may actually thank your TI when you graduate Now for the answer to your question I joined to see the world and fly as a passenger all over the world ( I like to fly in planes) It sounds like you plan on being a crew chief or engine mechanic from your message so you can be assigned to many different aircraft. if you want a base to apply for and not spend too much time in Saudi, Quatar, or Iraq, Afganistan, or Bosnia. Put in for Incirlick AB Turkey you will be in the Middle east and have all the comforts of home and probably just go tdy for a few weeks vs. 4-6 months though a few areas I hear are going to 1 yr rotations where the new barracks are in Quatar and Saudi.
BTW I retired from the Air Force in 2000 and enjoyed my self as a Avionics Radio/Radar Tech in the Air Force .
Old 07-01-2003, 11:29 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Mech28, the first thing you have to know is, "its their game and their rules so just play along." For each bit of static you give them, they will give you a lightning bolt up your butt. Every time you question an order, they will show you the advantages of dropping and giving 20, many, many times. Don't fight them; you can't and won't win.

LEARN THE MANUAL, FRONT AND BACK, SIDEWAYS, UPSIDE DOWN, BACKWARDS AND FOREWARDS!! You will be constantly asked to quote regulations, know them! If you don't you'll find yourself automatically doing pushups even after discharge.

When you're out on the drill pad, think heel beat. My Basic flight got so good with the heel beat our TI called us "Rolling Thunder". Whenever we were out on the pad other TI's would march their flights over to watch us.

It's the TI's job to make you feel lower than whale-crap. Don't take it personally. They like to make sure everyone feels that way and will go to any length to make sure you do, too.

When speaking to the TI, begin every sentance with "Sir" and end every sentance with "Sir". They love that.

Help your fellow Airman. If he's having a tough time learning, take him aside and teach him. If one fails, you all fail (and pay the penalties).

JerryD also gave you some good advice. Pay attention to it.

If you don't smoke, don't start just because it seems everyone else is smoking. They're the ones who will pay in the long run.

It will be over before you know it and you'll be a better man for it.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:08 PM

Thanks for all the advice 2 minus 28 days till boot camp
Old 07-01-2003, 03:20 PM

Thank you for your decision to serve our country. Pray a lot, write a lot of letters home to family. God Bless you.
By the way AF people,for Army it's Hooah,Marines Hurah(sp?) What is it for AF?

Old 07-15-2003, 02:13 PM

You will enjoy Air Force, if you get into flying that's great just keep your head up ,looking around. If you stay on the ground that's great too just keep the planes ready. 1945 I was a flying cadet, when they found they had too many pilots, I was put in the Infantry. The first day I reported to infantry I got the shock of my life. A officer slouched on a chair in old dirty clothes.
Old 07-15-2003, 03:58 PM

wow your like days must have changed 180 degrees from the air field to the front line.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:15 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Nang: I think some AF Col. keeps saying HooYah! ? which leads one to think one officer hears a good slogan and they all copy it
Old 07-28-2003, 06:34 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

I think by now you are already at Lackland, so maybe awhile before you get to browse the internet again as often.
I loved the USAF, still do.
At Lackland, in my basic training flight, I was Right Guide (and proud of it, to carry the flag), and was also appointed Chapel Guide. During our final parade test I screwed up the whole flight by misunderstanding the difference between two extremely similar commands, which the flight (of course) had to follow me on. We lost Honor Flight because of that, but it caused me to never forget about the importance of careful listening.
My most memorable experience from Lackland was the final graduation day. All graduating flights assembled in one place for review, there were several hundred airmen in dress blues formed up. It was awesome the way the commands were given, and repeated down the echelons and then finally executed in snappy crisp manner.
If I had one wish, it would be that they could have trained us more thoroughly with the M-1 carbine. In those days they didn't, but probably do so now with the new rifles.
You'll get some good-natured teasing the rest of your natural life for being an airman... from Jarheads, Grunts and Swabbies. I'm sure you'll think of something to offer as a come-back.
Off you go into the wild blue yonder...
Old 08-08-2003, 08:15 AM

BlueHawk,

I was trained for exactly one half day on the M16. I was allowed to fire exactly 20 rounds thru it before spending the rest of the day breaking it down and cleaning it. and then cleaning it some more.

I was in country for exactly 30 days, and was scheduled to a better familiarization within a week of that time. I never got that extra training. But apparently what I had at Lackland was enough. I am here, albeit with a limp, and my aircrew got off the ground.

Whatever trasining one gets is never satisfactory, but is usually enough.