The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-17-2006, 01:34 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Irish imigrents no longer welcome

I just heard (Recently) That the United Staes has stopped all Irish imigration to the US. This just ain't right. To ban the people that helped found the United States is stupid. Three of the names that are on the declaration of independance were born in Irerland.
We can except all the CANs that come to this country but stop the Irish, what a load.
I guess St Patricks day is good for something other than Beer, It makes you think about the Irish, and in doing so some might even look into just what the Irish did for America.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2006, 06:17 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I haven?t heard that Ron, we have bilateral visa treaties, etc., with Ireland and would be quite surprised at a change. Methinks the Irish of the Atlantic seaboard would be raising pure hell at such a proposition. Lots and lots of trans-Atlantic Irish families always a comin and a goin, plus the Irish form one of the most powerful vote blocks in the North East US and would skin, draw and quarter one each Teddy at such an occurrence. I?ll keep an eye out for some information on this, stranger things have happened I reckon. My daughter goes there (Cork) on business twice a year and I'll see if she knows what's happining.

I do know that Ireland is putting the brakes on letting Irish ex-pats come on home and accepting immigrants from Central Europe. They have done an excellent job of turning their economy around, creating jobs, etc., but are struggling to build new infrastructure to keep up with those who want to come home or immigrate to Ireland.

Ireland has taken full advantage of the US exodus of light industry and is a highly desirable off-shore destination. There is lots of talent and desire to succeed, so there is a positive, success oriented, atmosphere in Ire these days.

Scamp
Old 03-18-2006, 08:36 AM
Robert J Ryan

Hey this aint right if it is true, I'm Irish. Maybe it's because of the IRA (Irish Repulican Army) not liking being ruled by Britian. I like Seascamp's post, shows a positivel light on the Irish.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:29 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Irish imigration

irishamericannews.com

Hundreds of Irish supporters of the Chicago Celts for Immigration reform joined an estimated 250,000 marchers today in Chicago calling for comprehensive immigration reform. The Chicago Celts came well prepared for the day with thousands of T shirts, placards, flags and badges calling for support of the Kennedy McCain Bill. The Celts placards read, "We don't want handouts we work for a living", and were even carried with pride by many of the Hispanic protesters.

The march and rally was organized by the Illinois Coalition for Immigrants and Refugee Rights and was attended by the many ethnic groups that make up the Chicago immigrant population. Irish, Poles, Mexicans and Hispanics of all hues were there in high spirits to denounce the Senenbrenner Bill and support the Kennedy -McCain initiative.

Billy Lawless, Chairman of Chicago Celts for Immigration Reform and Fr. Leonard of Chicago Irish immigrant Support addressed the huge crowd and impressed upon them the need for urgent action to counter anti-immigrant forces. Immigrant groups are happy to see another face to the debate on immigration reform and the Irish in Chicago are certainly not afraid fo showing theirs.

The day has been a mammoth success and shows what can be accomplished when many diverse groups work together for a common cause. The nation cannot be under any illusions as to the direction of the debate in Chicago after today's rally and last week's resolution passed by the City Council backing Kennedy-McCain.

Chicago Council unanimously support Kennedy McCain
Chicago Celts for Immigration Reform achieve their goal

Monday February 27th saw the City of Chicago?s Finance and Human Relations sub-committee unanimously pass a resolution calling for comprehensive immigration reform. The sub-committee fully endorsed the Kennedy-McCain Initiative that offers a path to earned legalization and denounced the anti-immigrant Sensenbrenner Bill. Billy Lawless of Chicago Celts for Immigration Reform proposed the motion and addressed the sub-committee before the vote, highlighting the need for comprehensive immigration reform.

He was joined in support by the Rev. Michael Leonard and Cyril Regan of Chicago Irish Immigrant Support. Also present was Charles Sheehan Consul General of Ireland. The Irish voice on immigration reform has been gathering momentum over the last few weeks culminating in overt support from the Irish government for the Kennedy-McCain initiative.

Alderman Pat O?Connor then brought the motion before the City Council where he was co-sponsored by Aldermen Burke, Cardenas, and Ocasio. The motion backing the Kennedy-McCain initiative and denouncing the Sensenbrenner Bill was passed unanimously on Wednesday March 1st by a vote of 48-0. Kennedy-Mc Cain calls for earned legalization for the undocumented while at the same time strengthening the borders. It is a comprehensive and pragmatic Bill aimed at fixing the broken immigration system. Chicago City Council should be congratulated for taking an historic decision and for showing true leadership on this issue in a climate where prejudice and unfounded fears are being exploited.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:42 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Personally, I think the US should put a moritorium on ALL immigration for a few years at least. And I don't care where they're coming from. We need time to straighten things out here.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:20 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I don?t believe the Sencenberner bill targets any specific ethnic group or nationality. So that begs the question as to what the Chicago Irish are upset about. They are all in the US legally and have proper visas, right, so what?s the problem.

Scamp