Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Gulf War

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Battle of Medina Ridge

Battle of Medina Ridge

The Battle of Medina Ridge was a decisive tank battle fought on 27 February 1991, during the Persian Gulf War, between the U.S. 1st Armored Division and the 2nd Brigade of the Iraqi Republican Guard Medina Luminous Division outside Basra. Medina Ridge is the name American troops gave to a low rise, approximately seven miles (11 km) long.

The battle, which was waged over approximately two hours, was the largest tank battle of the war and the largest tank battle in U.S. history. It took place west of Phase Line Kiwi, east of Phase Line Smash, and north of Phase Line Grape. Phase lines are map references occurring every few kilometers used to measure progress of an offensive operation.

The 1st Armored Division, commanded by Major General Ron Griffiths, consisted of some 3,000 vehicles including 166 M1A1 Abrams tanks. The brunt of the fighting at Medina Ridge was conducted by the Division's historic 2nd Brigade, known as the "Iron Brigade", commanded by Colonel Montgomery Meigs (a descendant of General Montgomery C. Meigs of Civil War fame)."

During the battle, the American forces suffered only one KIA while destroying 186 Iraqi tanks (mostly Soviet built T-72s and T-55s) and 127 armored vehicles. Thirty-eight of the tanks were eliminated by six U.S. AH-64 Apaches from 3 mi (5 km) away at night and in rain.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2010, 04:55 AM

I wanted to add a comment about this battle. The one KIA from this was one of my troops. What I mean by that is he was the scout platoon SGT driver and the took care of the platoons commo gear. I was a commo SGT with the 4/66 Armor. He was a 20 year old kid with alot of energy. Any way sence this is about preserving our military history I wanted his name to be posted here.

SPC C.A. Cash I will never forget you man!
Old 11-22-2010, 05:40 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Your a good man to remember your friend. Salute Spc.C.A. Cash , thank you !