The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2002, 08:11 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Still caring...

...i recieved an e-mail last night, and I'll let all read it...

Hi, Foregive me for entering your lives tonight but through the miracle of computers tied into the internet I find myself contacting your family like I wanted to over 30 years ago after your Fathers' death in Vietnam.

I am Jack Curry, age 56 and a draftee during the NAM who first met Willie Giles at Ft. Huachuca, AZ, when we were in radio school there during April-May and June of 1967. We graduated and we all went our separate ways on home leave for two weeks with orders for the NAM. After 3 months of signal-radio work over there I was transferred to Graves Registration which is like being a mortician on the battlefield. On 01MAR68 we received a call to care for two soldiers killed in hostile action in the night. I saw the name Giles and readily recognized Willie from our time in the same class in Arizona. I signed a DD565-Statement of Recognition form stating I personally knew him. We prepared a death certificate and arranged to fly him and the other soldier from the Quan Loi airstrip to the mortuary near Saigon.
I found the "virtual wall" web site two days ago and posted a remembrance of your Father which as of tonight has not yet been added to his place on the "wall". Then this evening I looked at the remembrances posted by you and saw your e-mail addresses. And here I am after 34 years+. About 1974 or 75 I tried to contact your family but was discouraged by the Alabama Veterans' Affairs Office. Then family privacy was a big concern and so the years have passed.
As I remember, your Dad was quiet and polite. I did not realize it then but he was about 5years older than me. I remember being somewhat in disbelief at the Quan Loi airstrip for I figured everybody else was still in a signal-radio job and only "crazy Curry" got into another job. But the military puts people where they are needed and your Dad was needed to help move supplies by convoy to this forward fire support base some 60 miles north of Saigon on Route 13. All for now. Curry
Drive with care-Everywhere!!!

...I e-mailed him back, and explained that Willie Giles was not my father, however thanking him for "still caring", I invited him over here, and hope he shows up...

...I know that there a lot of men, and women out there that are looking for final comfort from their battles long ago, and for many, it's was just yesterday.

...more, and more Vietnam Veterans will be "coming out of the woodwork in the near future" ,and it's a good thing!!!, now is the time for all of you to "tie" yourselves together again...

...Wecome home Jack,... and everyone else here, ...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2002, 08:21 AM

seatjerker,

You know how much this must have meant to him to make contact after all these years. Geez - For him to make the move and to attempt such a thing shows great courage and respect.

Great story and I wish him well and hope he does locate Willie Giles family.

It goes to show you how deep the memories go. Poor guy I really know this has got to be eating him up especially when he thought his debt was finally paid - Hmmm gotta be tough!!

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote