The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-30-2005, 09:26 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Default Barrett-Jackson Classic Auto Sale

Being a real sucker for a fine classic car,hot rod,or good old American muscle car I watched all 24 hours of this year`s auction from Scottsdale Arizona on Speed Channel drooling from both corners of my mouth.Someday...mabe if I hit the Lotto,I hope to go see it in person.

I`m always reminded of gems of days gone by that I let slip through my fingers.Or wrecked.Like my '65 Chev Impala SS Convertible 327/300 4-speed.$$$$today.Or how bout the '57 Alfa-Romeo 850 Spider that I once bought for $300.Makes a guy think.

How bout you?

Peace,Griz
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2005, 10:30 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I watched what I could catch. Some really nice cars!! Many of them I would love to have. I try to watch it everytime its on to the dismay of my mom and grandma.

My first car was a 2 door 77 fairmont and I really kind of miss it even for a boat. Much faster than my current car.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I've always thought it would be great to own and drive a '57 Bel-Aire convertible. Either red/white or blue/white...original colors.

Ah, yes! The "ones that got away"!

Had a chance to buy an '80 Firebird for 3 grand. Like new inside & out. Light blue with the black eagle onna hood. Best part is, I had a friend that had worked at the plant that made them. He climbed underneath & checked it for me...it had never been wrecked or rolled. Compression, oil pressure, and water pump checked out okay. I hesitated because the F-bodies had a history of people playing "Smokey & THe Bandit" and burning the hell out of them. I waited a day too long. *sigh*

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 01-31-2005, 12:19 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

I watched a bunch of it too. The Hemi Cudas and Super Bees especially caught my eye. I had a '69 Satellite ( same body as the Super Bee/GTX ) with a 318 granny 2 barrel a ways back. I Had all of the chrome stripped off, the rear seat out and ladder bars installed. Was close to getting a new engine tranny combo when I wrecked it. I hit a brand new F150 in the side. It was his fault. It threw the Ford piece of junk down the road about 200 yards and it looked like the letter "C" with both driver side tires under it's frame. The impact crumpled the front end of my car a bit and shot the water pump through the radiator. It was still running, shooting radiator fluid like a fountain, when everything came to a rest and I had to turn it off. I was so pissed. The frame was wrecked. I might have saved it but I couldn't even look at it so I gave it to one of my brothers. He eventual sold it to a junk yard. One day I will have another, God willing, and that will be a great day indeed

I do not have a real picture of it but the picture below could be it's exact duplicate, colors and all, except for the hood and the wheels.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:52 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

When I got back from Vietnam I bought a 69 Barracuda convertible. I never gave it much thought at the time but i didn't ever see another one. Anyway, I got married and traded it in for a VW Super Beetle. Years later I found out there were only 26 made that year. They're selling for at least $100,000 now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c141.jpg (62.7 KB, 32 views)
Old 01-31-2005, 02:25 AM
Administrator

Distinctions

Fred I just shed some tears for you
Old 01-31-2005, 03:39 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default cars

when I got home from VN I went to college, In late 1968 I decided to buy a new car, Went to the Ford dealer and ordered a 1969 Mach one 428 4 speed, The dealer said it would take 6 weeks to get it. So in the mean time I was going to the dealers looking at the new Mach ones and drulling. When this dealer shows me this 1968 Shelby AC Cobra , He said it was the last one and that they were not making any more, How much I said, $6,000. I test drove it around the parking lot, A dark blue 1968 cobra 427 , 424 HP 4 speed , Sooooo I was getting a 428 mustang in a few weeks for $3,150. or I could buy a 1968 (one year older) cobra for $6,000. I chose the Mustang.
Every time I see one of those 427 cobras selling for $750,000 I kick myself.

Ron
Old 01-31-2005, 04:46 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

!964 Comet Cyclone, 289, 4 speed. It was so light I could burn the back tires off in a month. Spent many a weekends at Dover drag strip in New York.
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 01-31-2005, 05:32 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Griz et al..

Dammm I forgot that was on. Had every intention of watching it and mixing drool with tears. Ron, funny about that Cobra. We took my dad to a Ford dealer and tried to get him to buy one. (He was an ol' gear head.) Your right....6k for the 427. This one was blue with white stripes. He just couldn't justify spending 6k he really did not have for a 2 seater with funny windows. We cried. While I was in Vietnam in 69' he ordered a 440 6pack Dodge Super Bee, Automatic w/4:10 rear end. He ordered it like 3 days too late as they were switching to the 70's cars soon. He setted on a Charger R/T, 440 Mag 4bbl. It was a runner. Guys in my squad could not believe he bought a Muscle Car. Hell, he had a 56' Plymouth Fury, and a 60' Chrysler 300, 413 w/2 4's. Sure wish he'd a got that 68' Cobra. I came back from Nam with every intention of buying a Boss 302 Mustang but just could not afford that high sticker of $3,000 and sumthin'. Like 3,600 I think. (Ron should know) So settled for a 340 Plymouth Duster and never regretted it. ($2,800 with 4 sp, buckets, ralley wheels etc.) Have been looking around for a Duster to maybe have for weekends and local car shows. Seems they run about $22k for a good one. Damn, only 20k more than I paid for it. If I knew then what I know now I would have sacrificed all for a Hemi Cuda Convertable. They are going for a cool Million.

Mopar forever!

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 01-31-2005, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Distinctions

Quote:
Originally posted by Paco

Mopar forever!

Packo

That's what I am saying. I have been thinking about getting a Dodge Demon too.