Contributor 
Default Ford

http://www.ford.com/en/default.htm

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2005, 04:57 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Now I know why my Mazda B-2500 truck looks so much like a Ford Ranger. My genuine Harley leather vest was made in Korea. Global Economy
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:06 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Well it all started

in the 60s when the american car makers were making such shitty cars. They fell apart in 2-3 years. the japanese cars were cheap and reliable and started taking over market share. Now the american car dealers have been making the big SUV gas hogs while the japanese have been making fuel efficient and hybrid cars. the bottom dropped from the SUV market and they had no cars to replace them. NAFTA is also to blame, with the auto unions, The reason they are only closing n american plants is because of labor costs. You don't see any mexico plants closing do you.

I have only owned Chrysler products all my life, it is now owned by mercedes. I was told not long ago that the cummins diesels will be replaced by mercedes diesels in 07.

One of the plants closing is the Doraville Ga. plant, about 3 miles from me and less than 2 from LT. GM just spent hundreds of millions on this plant converting it from oldsmobile to assembling all of their compact vans. Looks to me as if there was not a lot of future planning.

Ron, your ford may be assembled in america but you can bet more than 75% of the parts are made overseas.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:29 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I dont believe in taking jobs away from the american worker and apparently thats what NAFTA did for us. Basically we priced ourselves right out of the market. What I dont understand is: How can a foreign manufacturer come to the U.S. build a factory, hire american workers and assemble a superior vehicle at a cheaper price?
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 11-22-2005, 05:32 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Bob...think it has something to do with the average American and the greed they possess!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 11-22-2005, 05:47 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Trav
So what your saying is labor costs.....If I owned a company and I could build the same product for less elsewhere.....it makes sense to go elsewhere. What does the average union auto worker make?
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 11-22-2005, 06:48 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default Wages

Bob...did a search and this is what I found, so basically UAW workers make quite a bit more than law enforcement, firefighters and EMS workers.

Here is the site I found the info on, straight from the UAW Union http://www.uaw.org/barg/03/barg02.cfm

As of the second quarter of 2003, a UAW-represented assembler earns $25.63 per hour of straight time. A typical UAW-represented skilled-trades worker earns $29.75 per hour of straight time.

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 11-22-2005, 07:07 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Not bad for unskilled labor....Gotta agree with Sid on this one. between the union and NAFTA, The auto industry is on a downward spiral
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 11-22-2005, 07:19 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Trav et al,

That hourly wage doesn't even include the benefits they recieve which are far above the average. I don't make that much money nor do I get the benefits, and that's with a Masters, 22 years of experience, and a license to practice, which I have to renew every year and pay for CUE's to keep it up. I was a member of the United Steelworkers of America, twice, the Teamsters, and the United Mine Workers of America. I could talk for hours as to some of the reasons the Mills in this country ended up closing. One is management not reinvesting in plants to keep up with the Japs, the other was the union's not recognizing that their demands were idiotic and helped seal the fate of industry in this country. For years management kept their boots on the neck of the working man, then the union's got powerful and put their boot on the necks of management, neither ever got together and figured out they were killing each other. The automobile industry is the same. Let's see, our shit ain't selling so let's demand more benefits and wages. As the airline industry in this country dies, you see more and more unions understanding that concessions are needed....i.e. pilots unions especially. Half a loaf is better then none. I have also seen that once consessions are made, the companies make it, they then try to screw the worker again. Both sides of this coin are responsible for the death of industry in this country.

I, like Sid, drive MOPARS and have for most of my life. Had a Toyota once that blew head gaskets every 1,000 miles or so, had 2 VW's that were junk, both made in Germany. I have always had better luck with "American" made cars....whatever that means today considering engines built in Mexico, this built in there, and the whole thing put together somewhere in Detroit, but will continue to buy what I think is the best product. If my 03 Dodge Ram doesn't hold up, then maybe a Ford next time, or maybe a Toyota, since all are at least sorta built in the USA. BMW has a plant in SC, and Mercedes has a plant in Georgia. Both give Americans jobs and benefits. I don't think it makes a damn bit of difference anymore.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 11-22-2005, 07:30 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default Paco

"I don't think it makes a damn bit of difference anymore."

I think this is the best statement and the most on target I have ever read!

The bottom line is we did it, all of it, to ourselves, and now most industries are falling on their asses. There is not an easy answer and pretty much nobody to come to our rescue.

We as Americans, have spent way too much money trying to get ahead, labor costs, and helping the world solve their problems, foreign aid and job outsourcing. Kind of the nosey neighbor syndrome, you all know the kind....totally engrossed in other peoples business and problems while their own life falls apart!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!