The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > World War II

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2008, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf. A

The Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf. A (Sd.Kfz.101) German light tank was not well protected and had insufficient firepower, but stayed in service until 1942, when was reverted to its original role as training and logistical vehicle. Panzer I A can be easily identified by its external girder linking the road-wheels, the last three of four with the idler.

In 1933, the Heereswaffenamt ordered the development of Kleintraktor - an armored vehicle between 4 and 7 tons in weight. It was designated La.S (Landwirtschaftlicher Schlepper / LaS - agricultural tractor) to hide its true purpose from the Treaty of Versailles. Rheinmetall, Krupp, Henschel, MAN and Daimler Benz submitted their prototypes, which were very similar to each other, but Krupp's design of Krupp-Traktor was selected. In the summer of 1933 it was decided to mount Krupp’s chassis with Daimler-Benz’s superstructure and turret. After further tests in February of 1934, the improved LKA 1 (LaS), designated as PzKpfw I Ausf A, entered production in April of 1934.
Originally, Ausf A was known as MG Panzerwagen - Versuchkraftfahrzeug 617 before it entered production. In April, 15 PzKpfw I Ausf A were produced and all were presented to Adolf Hitler by Heinz Guderian. The Panzerkampfwagen I was produced in two main very similar variants Ausf A (1934) and Ausf B (1935). The Ausf A was produced from July of 1934 to June of1936 by Henshel, MAN, Krupp-Gruson and Daimler-Benz. It proved to be underpowered and its very loud 57hp Krupp engine overheated, and Ausf B with its 100hp Maybach engine was an improved version of Ausf A. Both models had identical turrets and superstructure, but Ausf B was longer with additional roadwheel and had a modified engine deck with a new engine. Both variants were operated by a two men crew - a driver and a commander/gunner. The main armament consisted of two 7.92mm MG13 Dreyse (medium) or MG-34 machine guns with rate of fire of 650 rounds per minute. Later in 1935/36, Panzer I Ausf A was experimentally mounted with Krupp M601 diesel engine, but it could only produce 45hp of power, and the idea of diesel powered vehicle was rejected. Both Ausf A and Ausf B were also produced as turret-less tanks used for training purposes (PzKpfw I Ausf A ohne Aufbau) and as maintenance vehicles. 102 Ausf A models saw service with Condor Legion and General Franco’s Nationalists during the Spanish Civil War. By: Etmal

Role :Light Tank
Production Date :July 1934
Manufacturer :Henschell
MAN
Krupp-Gruson
Daimler-Benz
Number Produced :818
Crew :2
Radio :FuG 2
Road Speed :40 Kilometers per Hour
Rough Speed :16 Kilometers per Hour
Road Range:145 Kilometers