The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2007, 08:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to inhonurofswa
Default Question time

Well this has been bugging me for awhile. I was looking at our last year's year book which I just got recently and of course since I was a freshman last year I had to look at everything as soon as I got it but I noticed that we had 7 people who are now in the military, two girls and a guy in the army, 2in the marines adn 2 in the navy, if I'm not mistaken. And I began to wonder how many of my uncle's class went. Did his yearbook have the names and numbers of the people who were going? I am trying to get a hold of Stan's yearbook but like I have mentioned before my family is very talkative about his name, so it's some snooping. And most of his things are locked up in a hope chest but I will get a hold of it somehow. haha. but anyways so I thought that I would just ask you guys first. Did yearbook's have names of people who were going to serve and anything like that? I would really appreciate any answers I'm sure every school was different.

taylor
~BNB~
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2007, 09:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Hi, Taylor!

Okay, I'll start and others can add.

I graduated from high school in 1964. My graduating class was about 350 seniors.

The closest thing to what you are asking is that, in my senior yearbook there are a couple of pages of "Senior Ambitions"...each senior's name is listed along with a quote by that senior of his or her ambitions after high school.

Some had humorous quotes, like, "I'm gonna stay in high school 'til 1984".

Most were serious...gonna be a teacher...want to be a housewife, etc.

We had a few seniors who stated they wanted to serve in the military.

Most of those that stated a military ambition wanted to go into the Air Force, probably because we have a large Air Force base nearby and that was a big influence.

Two of my classmates (and friends) had notable military service...Richard O. Covey (astronaut) and Marine Lance Corporal Warren Ralya who was killed in Vietnam and earned the Navy Cross for valor.

Hope this helps.

Steve / 82ndRigger

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 10-19-2007, 10:55 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Taylor,

My High School Year Book did not have this. In the school newspaper everytime someone got accepted into a college, they would report it, but would not if you were going into the military. It wasn't "cool".

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 10-19-2007, 12:14 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Our year book didn't do that. It was 1965 when I graduated and the draft had just started up , no numbers. If you where a male not in college , not married and not 4-F you were going into the military. I left New Jersey that summer for college and really never went back for more than two months after that. I know of 6 people in my class that went to Vietnam. By the way " CLASS OF 65 RULES !!
Old 10-20-2007, 08:09 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Taylor,

In my graduating class yearbook of '54, no specifics (military or otherwise) were mentioned under photos & names. Just quips or innuendos occuring during school years or what future might bring.

Some such that I can remember were: "Real Cool", "Party Animal", "What a DA", "Watch-out MIT", and especially one of quips under my photo & name; "Uncle Sam's nephew".

But and in fairness, way-back-when both students & parents WERE NOT forced being classified as hyphenated Americans, plus so purposefully and/or politically pitted one against the other for cause, AS IS NOW.

Then too, in my time most all Americans (leaders, journalists, professors inclusive) used to be SOLELY allegiant to America and saw absolutely nothing offensive about God. Nowadays, it's a whole different LEFTIST UNDER-MINING story.

Neil
Old 10-20-2007, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 

Like DMZ-LT says if you were getting out of school in the mid-sixties and not going to college, used a urinal, could walk, talk, see and listen, you were 1-A and going into the military. My class of '65 in Parma Hts., Ohio was 999 strong with probably a little more than half of the male graduates going on to college. Even if they went on to college they finished college and again achieved the revered status of 1-A. I don't know of any at Valley Forge High that ran North into Canada but I'm sure there were a couple. Our Football team was the Valley Forge Patriots and in '65 the Patriots won the championship in north-east Ohio. Most that weren't going on to another school enlisted so they could choose what they might do while serving and not be a grunt. Grunts got shot at donchya know.
Mid-Sixties you were obligated to Uncle Sam like it or not and you didn't need a Year Book to tell you that. I don't know of any time when a returning alumni stepped into that school wearing a uniform that he was not welcomed with apprieciation.