The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-25-2008, 07:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to inhonurofswa
Default your guy's moms and the military

Job shadowing is coming up real soon. I'm excited because my teacher has so many connections, she got a classmate into NASA, last semester. I want to go to a base here in Ohio. I told my mom and she isn't as excited as me but says that if my dad takes me I can go. She told me, "I don't really know why you want to go there since you're not allowed to be in the military." I have never expressed my want to be in the military with her so she thinks that I just want to go because it will be cool. Do all moms not want there kids to be in the military? I can see her side though, being that her brother died in Vietnam. But I was just wondering if you're guy's moms were like mine.

Taylor
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2008, 07:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gunner Carvo Send a message via MSN to Gunner Carvo Send a message via Yahoo to Gunner Carvo
Distinctions
Contributor 

Being active-duty in the Navy and having a step-dad who is retired from the Army, I'm lucky enough to have a mom who is extremely supportive of my career choice. They both talk about me on here every once in a while.

"Without me, the war will go on. With me, it could end." - me

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty." - JFK

"Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto."
(I bring not the rays of the sun but the thunderbolts of Jupiter)

Old 01-26-2008, 07:30 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

NO. My Mom cried when I told her I was going to volunteer for Vietnam. When I wrote to her I never told her what I was diong
Old 01-26-2008, 09:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gunner Carvo Send a message via MSN to Gunner Carvo Send a message via Yahoo to Gunner Carvo
Distinctions
Contributor 

I try to leave out the details that would upset my mom.

"Without me, the war will go on. With me, it could end." - me

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty." - JFK

"Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto."
(I bring not the rays of the sun but the thunderbolts of Jupiter)

Old 01-26-2008, 01:46 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Back in the 60's all you needed was the approval of your dad. Your mom just went with the program.....Also, neither parent had any say if you were drafted.

God bless the ACLU
Old 01-26-2008, 02:18 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I was drafted

My parents were both proud and apprehensive. We had quite few relatives and neighbors serve in WW II and Korea and they understood the importance of a strong defense. But, even supportive parents can be worried when there is a war and we were at war in Vietnam at the time. Being in the military means, being away from home for long periods of time. Possibility of getting killed or injured so there is that worry, especially for mothers.

Keith
Old 01-27-2008, 07:21 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Talk about our Gunner? Us?

Sorry son but I'm here to answer her questions and she does ask them.

She also got information from the guys at work. They have sons & relatives serving including some across the Bay from you.

She has decided that her job in this current conflict is to make sure that, this time, our troops get support and not spit on.

Your mother wears Army boots (and BDUs).

Gunner Carvo's Dad, Darrel
Old 01-27-2008, 08:06 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default How My Mother Reacted to Me Being Assigned to Vietnam:

My Mother Cried when I first broke the news that I was going to volunteer for Vietnam service.

She then cried again, for a longer period, when I told her that my orders had come through and that I would be shipping out for Vietnam.

She then cried again, for the third time, when I returned from Vietnam all in one piece. Those tears were different though--They were tears of gratitude and happiness that I had lived through my Tour and that I was again home safe.

As for letters to my Mother--Like DMZ-LT, I never wrote her about the rocket attacks that I went through while on the Airbase. I always wrote about the lighter, and more amusing, things that went on during my time in Nam. I did not want her to worry any more then she was worrying already.

I often thought about what my Father would have felt and said about me going to Vietnam, but he had died several years earlier, when I was only fourteen years old. I never had the ability to talk with a Father Figure concerning such matters.

To all of my Vietnam Veteran Brothers and Sisters I again wish you a MOST HEART FELT and SINCERE:

WELCOME HOME

VIETNAM 1968
Old 01-28-2008, 06:23 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Not unusual

for a mom or dad to be concerned about their child when they are going in harms way. One thing to remember though, when you turn 18 it is YOUR choice. If you have a passion for serving your country, do it. You can always go to college when your in service and when you get out. Your mom's anxiety would be doubled with having lost her brother. I still believe this today that there is not greater honor than serving your country.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 01-28-2008, 07:33 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I was raised pro military. I was born on an Air Force base when my father was in the Army. My mother's 6 brothers all served.

Mom said I marched before I walked.

The level of respect/awe that I have for those who choose to put themselves in harms way to protect us is hard to get you guys to understand. This also includes those who were drafted into the military and stood up when the time came to do so.

I'm so proud of my son that I hope he knows how much.

Of course, taking this job on puts him in danger. He has been informed that it is his job to make the other guy die for his country/cause.

Joy, Proud Parent of a Navy Sailor & Gunner Carvo's Mom