The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Military News > Afghanistan

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2017, 01:38 PM

Thumbs up US Sen. John McCain visits troops in Afghanistan on Fourth of July

US Sen. John McCain visits troops in Afghanistan on Fourth of July
BY KTAR.COM | JULY 4, 2017 AT 11:07 AM - UPDATED: JULY 4, 2017 AT 11:36 AM
RE: http://ktar.com/story/1643632/us-sen...ourth-of-july/

U.S. Sen. John McCain led a congressional delegation to Afghanistan on Tuesday, to talk with soldiers on Independence Day and meet with Afghan officials.

“Every time I get a little depressed, I think about what these young people are doing for the country and for the freedom of the Afghan people,” McCain told KTAR 92.3 FM from Kabul.

“It’s just been a wonderful day.”

McCain (R-Ariz.) is known for visiting U.S. troops stationed overseas during various American holidays. He has made the Fourth of July trip to Afghanistan since 2013.

The senator’s tradition of visiting troops overseas during holidays began after the 9/11 attack. He has made 10 Fourth of July trips to the Middle East.

“There’s a lot going on over here and I believe that President (Donald) Trump’s National Security team (Gens. James Mattis and H.R. McMasters) are coming up with a strategy that I think can win,” the chair of the Senate Armed Forces Committee said.

The 80-year-old Vietnam war veteran made the trip with fellow senators Lindsey Graham (R-South Carolina) and Elizabeth Warren (D-Massachusetts.) and other American officials.

The visit came amid a resurgent Taliban and an Islamic State affiliate in the country.

“The strongest nation on earth should be able to win this conflict,” McCain told reporters overseas.

Earlier Tuesday, a senior police official was killed by a bomb planted in his car in Kabul, according to Basir Mujahid, a spokesman for the police chief in the Afghan capital.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links