The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Enduring Freedom

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-15-2007, 04:55 AM

Gimpy -

I'm sure he will get back to us - I'm sure he's fine. He's got a rotten job overthere and doing the best he can with the tools they give him. I wonder if maybe he got some leave?

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2007, 07:38 AM

ALCON:

Like the proverbial Bad Penny...back again!!!!

As I just told PackMan (Paco/Tom) in a PM, I've been busy as hell over here and when I did get time to TRY to come up on the net...either the net was down or when it was actually up, I couldn't get on Patriot Files site...!

Not taking any leave while over here...lotta the younger folks think I'm crazy (seems they take some sort of R&R every three or four months)...tell'm I'm used to "one year tours" and when I DO take leave from here, it'll be for real...AND...that'll be in about 94 days and a Sea Bag Drag...!

Boats:

The Statue is for real (stuff on it has been going around for a couple/few years now), but the story is misleading. Plz chk the Snopes link, below:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/military/kalat.asp

Gimpy:

Above explains my absence, but THANKS for thinking of me...means a lot to me to know folks back Home care. Certainly different than what you, me and so many others open on this site experienced while we were in Vietnam...!

Thanks to ALL of your for your continuing concerns and support of our Deployed Forces.

Spring is on the way here...had been getting nice right up until yesterday...had a severe thunder storm and HAIL...muddy as hell again here but it won't last long. We've already had a few days in the 90s...cooled down from the rain but will start heating up within the next two weeks.

HEATING UP...yup...both in Temp and Enemy Action. We continue to take occasional INCOMING...took some just last nite (122 rockets)...not close but as always, an "attention gainer" when they hit! Talibs will start coming out of the mountains now, and we expect some more activity from them. Interestingly, tho, this year, more of them than ever before remained in the low lying areas rather than heading for the hills...maintained combatant contact throughout the winter, albeit at a reduced OPTEMPO...but...that's a change in their TTP and may mean that we're in for a tuff Spring! Too early to tell yet.

Even tho I'm still not satisfied with the NATO play over here, "they" are doing better in some AOs...some recent successes...etc. The Brits are the only bright point, but there just aren't enuff of them! One of our ANA Brigades (3BDE) ran a seach and clear (destroy) op a few days ago...was really proud of them...killed more than 100 Talibs...captured beaucoup small arms, RPGs, ammo, etc.

The ANA go into combat in Ford Rangers, flak jackets/helmets and AKs...a few PKMs and an occasional (truck-mounted) DShK (12.7mm/.51 cal)...they head TOWARDS the sound of gunfire and smell of gunsmoke...! Am attaching a flick that shows a patrol heading out from Camp Shir Zai (home of the 205th ANA Corps)...12.7 on the Ford Ranger...vehicle passing a "junk yard" of former Taliban T-54/55 tanks.

Anyway...all is well here...as well as it's gonna get for the time being. Hope this finds you ALL doing well!

Semper Fi from the Muddy Sands of Kandahar,
Old 03-31-2007, 08:19 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default hi Colonel ...

May I ask a question to complete my need for a visual on the part you play as a contracted Advisor in the vicinity of incoming Indirect Fire ...

Do they allow you to carry a 6 Shooter ? And go with patrols ?

Are most initial engagements by accident, initiated by their picking of time and place to ambush, or do we ambush the most ?

Are most engagments small unit to small unit ... killing 100 Talibs is not small, so I assume we had some kind of edge on that one ... but cant we tell when they are coming out of "sanctuary" and get them 2 feet out of sanctuaries ?

It is asked around the Internet, or stated "what is victory ... how is it defined a la a Mission Statement". Can we reverse the question, since I can't imagine the Talibs even imagining they can kick US out. What in their imagination is their Victory ?

Bo
Old 03-31-2007, 10:42 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Lobo,

The PM didn't make it but thanks for coming back up on the site. Everyone getting a little concerned.

Glad things are gettin' a bit better. Good to hear your a 2 didgit midgit now. We will have a few glasses for you on Psyco Mtn in a couple of weeks.

Have lost Bullitheads phone #'s since his stuff. If you have his new or cell, PM that to me. We have to plan a git-to-gether with you when you get back.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 04-02-2007, 05:27 AM

Col - when do you get your next leave? Do they rotate you out for R & R? If so do you come home or go to a designated place of peace and quite?

By now I'm sure you heard about the Brits getting nabbed off the coast of Iran. 15 in custody and taken without any fire-fight? Media events show the captures being televised admitting to being in Iranian waters -but we know that's most likely propaganda.

This tension is ratcheting up the middle east and could get inflamed. Did they notify you guys about this situation and if so did this change your mission plans?

Beau asked some good questions I will be interested in reading your reply.

Take care of yourself and I hope like hell they let you carry a weapon in that area.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 04-02-2007, 08:09 AM

Default MARINE V !!!!!!!!

One of your post referred to "trigger pullers" which would answer the total problem, "IF" they were LET GO and not restricted by everyone from Washington to where U R!!!!!!!!

SF
NC
C-1-1
Korea
Old 04-06-2007, 08:32 AM

ALCON:

Thx for your continuing interest, comments, questions, etc.

Let me start with Humper first...RIGHT ON...get us some U.S. Soldiers and Marines, with the requisite supporting arms, and as I've said before...LET THE DAWGS OUT...and we can shut this crap down here in The 'Stan in a hurry. We have to remove some of the constraints/restraints on our forces IF we are to prevail.

Boats:

Not taking an R&R...am now a two-digit midget...88 days and a Sea Bag Drag! Folks want me to stay over here another six months, but don't know that I'll give that a whole lot of consideration.

PacMan:

Gomen on the PM not getting thru. Feel free to hit me on my "deployed account" anytime you feel like it.

Beau:

To answer your Q's....

NO...our contract (with DoD) does NOT allow us to carry sidearms. That said, they are "available" should things ever go further South than Southern Afghanistan!!! This is a point of concern for us, because we must travel a few clicks outside the Kandahar Airfield Combat Base to go back and forth to where we work, aboard Camp Shir Zai, the ANA Camp. We travel in Toyota SUVs...SOFT SKINNED SUVs.

NO...our contract (with DoD) does NOT allow us to accompany ANA/Coalition Force elements in combat. This ticks me off because when one is involved with various aspects of planning and other leadership oriented issues, it's very difficult then to remain behind when the troops head out towards the sound of gunfire!

Many engagements are initiated by the bad guys thru ambushes/series of ambushes. The good guys, however, are getting better at dealing with these ambushes, and in the vast majority of cases (especially when NATO/Coalition forces are with the ANA), they outgun the bad guys.

YES...many engagements are small unit...Plt/Co stuff. The killing of 100+ Talibs was done over time, and by company size elements of an ANA Kandak (Bn). The mission was a continuing Search and Clear (Destroy) effort.

The Talibs are coming out of the mountains in fairly large numbers...we LIKE THAT...they make a very good target for supporting arms...!

The Talibs DO believe (firmly believe) they can not only kick us out, but that they can take the country back over and reimpose their law over the land. In fact, most (all?) radical Islamists believe that they can do that throughout the world...and...their idea of Victory is when all others are subjugated to their beliefs!

I think that answers everyone...gomen IF I've missed someone or some issue.

Gonna fly this before the net crashes again.

Semper Fi from the Sands of Kandahar,

Lobo sendz
Old 04-13-2007, 09:12 AM

Hell COL you're Lifer and its in your blood. Six months more would be a cake walk for you. Show the kids you will back them up and do another hitch. Make sure you get a little bonus though after all - you can do that.

Take care and keep us up with the goings on over-there. Your reports are better than listening to the media's interruption.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 04-14-2007, 03:25 AM

Yeah Boats...I could do another six months standing on my head...but...I AIN'T...have head enuff fun for this "tour"...!!! About 80 & a Wake Up....

Hope to get back, kick back for a little while and then start back with my adjunct duties with Texas A&M (WMD Exercises/EmergPln/etc)...work a few of those gigs for some spending change...just hope it all works out....

Semper Fi from the Sands of Kandahar,

Lobo Sendz
Old 04-16-2007, 05:02 AM

COL - when you get back stateside keep us posted and don't forget to keep us in mind when your kicking back. Chicago is getting the Olympic's for 2016 I hope I'm around to see it with my grandkids.

If you make to Chicago let me know we will have a beer or two.
Meanwhile 80-days and a wake up is still something to look forward to. Stay away from sanding beaches for awhile when you get back.

Keep and eye on our boys and girls over-there and whoever replaces you maybe that person would like to drop us a line to let us know how things are going.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"