The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Military Weapons

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2022, 10:55 AM

Question Ukraine said the Russian are using Thermobaric Bombs

Ukraine conflict: What is a vacuum or thermobaric bomb?
Re: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-60571395

Photo link: https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cp...1234869951.jpg

Russia has been accused of planning to use thermobaric weapons - also known as vacuum bombs - in its invasion of Ukraine.

These are controversial because they are much more devastating than conventional explosives of similar size, and have a terrible impact on anyone caught in their blast radius.

How does a vacuum bomb work?
-
A vacuum bomb, also called an aerosol bomb or fuel air explosive, consists of a fuel container with two separate explosive charges.

These can be launched (or delivered) by a rocket or dropped as a bomb from aircraft. When it hits its target, the first explosive charge opens the container and widely scatters fuel mixture as a cloud.

This cloud can penetrate any building openings or defences that are not totally sealed. A second charge then detonates the cloud, resulting in a huge fireball, a massive blast wave and a vacuum which sucks up all surrounding oxygen. The weapon can destroy reinforced buildings, equipment and kill or injure people.

How Thermobaric Weapons Work: See photo link below.
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cp...p_2x640-nc.png

They are used for a variety of purposes and come in a range of sizes - including weapons for use by individual soldiers such as grenades and hand-held rocket launchers.

Huge air-launched versions have also been designed, specifically to kill defenders in caves and tunnel complexes - the effects of this weapon are at their most severe in enclosed spaces. (I would ssay except for civvies within housing areas - there we would take exception). (I would say not everything is fair in warefare when civvies & kids are involved).

In 2003, the US tested a 9,800kg bomb, nicknamed the "Mother of all bombs". Four years later, Russia developed a similar device, the Father of all bombs". This created an explosion equivalent to a 44-tonne conventional bomb - making it the biggest non-nuclear explosive device in the world.

Given their devastating impact, and their usefulness against defenders who are dug in to buildings or bunkers, vacuum bombs have mainly been used in urban environments.

This is significant given developments on the ground in Ukraine, where Russian forces are trying to take control of the capital, Kyiv, and other main cities in the east of the country.

1. Question: Are they being used in Ukraine?
-
Oksana Markarova, Ukraine's ambassador to the United States, has accused Russia of using a vacuum bomb during its invasion.
-
However, there has been no official confirmation of this claim.
-
There have also been reported sightings of thermobaric rocket launchers in Ukraine over the past few days.

2. Question: What are the rules of war for vacuum bombs?
-
There are no international laws specifically banning their use, but if a country uses them to target civilian populations in built-up areas, schools or hospitals, then it could be convicted of a war crime under the Hague Conventions of 1899 and 1907.
-
International Criminal Court prosecutor Karim Khan has said his court will investigate possible war crimes in Ukraine.

3. Question: Where have they been used before?
-
US used them during Vietnam: Thermobaric munitions can be traced back to World War Two, when they were initially used by the German army. They were not widely developed until the 1960s, when the US used them in Vietnam.
-
We also used them in Afghanistan: - Photo link: https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cp...7_torabora.png
-
First, in 2001 to try to destroy al-Qaeda forces hiding in the caves of the Tora Bora mountains, and in 2017, against Islamic State forces.

Russia also used them in its war in Chechnya in 1999 and was condemned by Human Rights Watch for doing so.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question: These must be better than using actual nuclear weapons - I would presume?
-
This may make me ass for this comment - but there are many weapons designed today
and yester-years - that have been used for special purposes- it seems. And back then
they may not necessarily have fallen under the same guidelines as nukes?
-
Now today: Is it a crime against humanity or ill-legal to use today? During Nam I've heard
that verbiage used periodically - but I didn't know its history and/or side-effects until now.
But here again when the rats go into the mountain or into their tunnels I would guess
its the best way to rid them - is with Gas or a Vaccum bomb it seems? Sounds practical
to me especially - if it's him and not me - on the receiving end of one or the other.
-
But its questionable "if used against civvies" like those being attacked in Ukraine?
It may fall under the pretence of mass murder of the innocents?
-
Note: Also Russian-made thermobaric weapons were reportedly used in the Syrian
civil war by the regime of Bashar al-Assad.
-

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links