The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Marines

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2003, 06:49 AM

Default SJ!!!!!!!

Agree with your post. But it still goes back to the original question of where should certain genders be put into a certain position or situation!!!!
SF
NC
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2003, 07:02 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Question This thread interests me alot.

As a Coast Guard veteran of 1967-71, we were in a service that did not hand out medals. They were extremely stingy with those colorful bits of ribbon.

I will be the first to admit that I did nothing heroic.I was on the deck force of a Search and Rescue cutter and endured many a cold, freezing night on deck securing a tow, etc. hanging on for dear life. In those 4 years, I received 2 medals, the NDSM and the Coast Guard Good Conduct medal. I never complained. Rather we were proud of the fact that we didn't receive medals for just doing our job. This attitude was re-enforced when several years ago, I read an article in the Naval Institute Proceeding s which described an explosion aboard a Destroyer in New York harbor during WW2.

The article finished by listing all the decorations awarded to the Navy and Marine folks involved in the rescue. When the author asked the Coast Guard historian what medals the Coasties received, his reply was "None", they were just doing their job.

Well the pendulum has swung the other way. A couple years ago, I visited a cutter in NYC during Fleet Week. I was greeted by a Seaman who had about a year in. I counted 5 ribbons on his chest. I was dumfounded. I was going to make a sarcastic remark but decided not to since it was not his fault. But I'll tell you this, all services have cheapened the meaning and value of decorations by handing them out as we call them like "chest candy". Never mind Jessica Lynch. Please do not castigate that young woman for receiving those medals. in all likelyhood, she is embarrassed by the whole thing and is fully aware she is a pawn for the PC crowd.

All services must re-examine medal awarding criteria and decide whether or not they want to revamp the system. As it stands now, medals do not mean too much anymore. They are given out for morale boosting purposes more than anything else.

As a lark, I posted my 4 year career on a Coast Guard site and asked a current Coastie, based on what I did 35 years ago, what medals would I receive today. Just looking at my record, he said I would be eligible for at least 5 decorations. Yes, I risked my neck several times for both survivors and crewmembers, yes, I stood watch on miserable icy weather conditions, yes, I worked long miserable cold wet hours to bring the ship to those in distress; BUT, that was just part of the job.

I feel bad for those like PFC Lynch because she knows she did not perform the necessary heroics to receive the medals except for the POW medal. I also feel bad for the service men and women who truly deserved the award AND received it; but now the award has been cheapened. In my day, it would have been"WOW", you were AWARDED a BRONZE STAR". Now" it is " you got a bronze star? Big deal". I hope the pendulum swings back the other way soon.

Bill

King John 2.1.466
Old 08-28-2003, 07:15 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Changes history...

...There is no doubt that the incident of the 507th with change the history of how women advance into combat,...

...I, for one, know that there are some bad a$$ women out there, that could maintain the highest of standards of fighting, and surviving under the worst of conditions weather grouped with men, or not,...

...It would take 10 years of revamping the programs to adapt to a fighting force of women, and I think it will eventually happen due to the advancement of intrests in women's rights now, it may be only one out of 200 that could be 100% qualified, but one more that is 100% qualified is one more of America's finest...

...How many of you have Ex's that you'd like to match up with someone just to see the fur fly,...

...let's see,...No sleep, No coffee, and PMS, and somebody's hurling an RPG at her, I don't want to go there ...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 08-28-2003, 07:51 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post She definitely deserved!

She definitely deserved the purple heart as her wounds were a result of enemy action. She definitely deserved the POW medal. I believe the only medal in doubt is the Bronze Star. However the worst handing out of medals is:

General McArthur's MOH. That one made a lot of people quite angry. He was never under direct fire in WW II. Patton deserved MOH much more than McArthur and so did a whole bunch of other officers and men.

Soooo...... we must realize that from time to time the military does get political and give out medals for political reasons.
What's to get all upset about, it happened in the past and it will happen again in the future.

I don't understand the reason for begrudging her the purple heart. Those broken bones were a direct result of enemy action she certainly deserved those. Even if they were fleeing the battle field at the time. Some folks would complain if hung by a new rope.

I certainly agree with she didn't deserve the Bronze Star and neither did McArthur deserve a MOH.

Politics and More Politics Thats all it is.

Jessica didn't ask for all this attention and I'm sure she is uncomfortable with all this attention. Let's not villianize her but if you have concerns write your congressman, senator, president or secretary of the Army.

Keith
Old 08-28-2003, 08:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Here we go again...

I hope, and will pray, that our decorated vets will NOT send back their medals...please keep them and wear them, for those in whose name and for whose freedom they were justly earned.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:55 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Welcome Home to Pvt Lynch , and lets not transfer our anger at the system that awarded Jessie her ribbons. It reminds me of the MASH episode when BJ went fishing and ended up getting decorated for trying to rescue a downed soldier. He later gave it away thinking himself not worthy to have been decorated . Remember all of us that served our country didn't present ourselves any of the Medals or ribbons we received . I remember distinctly standing in formation while a co-worker received a medal for something that everyone in the shop had done before the only difference was somebody who knew how to write awards and decorations took the time to fill out the proper forms and Amn Smith received the medal. After 20 years in the Air Force I had all the ribbons you receive for breathing and not getting into trouble i.e. Good Conduct with 5 devices, Longevity with 3 devices, Short Tour Overseas Ribbon, National Defense, SW Asia Service Ribbon with One device, Airforce Training Ribbon, NCO PME , and Armed Forces expeditionary Medal. the only one I received that someone had to write an accommodation for was the Air Force achievement Medal, A Line Chief wrote for me. all the other supervisors I had always wrote the same thing when the 3 year point came up "This Airman at this time doesn't meet the standards to receive an award at this time". While another supervisor could have written one. But,it all depended back then who your immediate supervisor was and if you were unlucky and got a new one when it was time for you to be considered for an award tough luck. Again Welcome Back Jessie I hope your VA rating for disability goes well and at least they can't reduce your medical discharge check 1-1 for the amount of disabilty you will get from the VA . And remember folks its the knuckleheads that wrote out the Bronz Star Package on Jessie thats to blame. Whether or not she deserved the Bronze Star we may never know the rest of the Story. :cd:
Old 08-28-2003, 09:29 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Well said Jerry!

My feelings exactly! I still don't understand the resentment towards the purple heart. That one surprises me! But the girl didn't ask for the Bronze Star, She didn't ask to be injured, She didn't ask to be a prisoner of war. I was watching the on the History Channel about the rescue of the POW's on Philippines in WW II. The senior officer received a MOH (if my memory serves me correctly) all other officers received a silver star and all the enlisted men received bronze stars. Another example of medal manipulation by rank and not necessarily bravery, though each man who participated was indeed a brave man and certainly deserved to be decorated. The enlisted men realized they had been shafted or the officers had received that which they didn't deserve. As far as I was concerned each man who participated was a hero! But, there certainly was Medal Manipulation going on in that situation.

Politics - Politics or being in the right place at the right time or having an appreciating supervisor. I say drop the issue and get on with life. But don't take it out on the young lady.

Keith