The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2005, 06:27 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I had way too much time on my hands with militarychat down too so I went out and volunteered to write the Nellis retiree newsletter. It is posted here for those interested.

http://www.patriotfiles.com/forum/sh...threadid=42433

Then I got back to work and have been working 6 days a week for the past 3 weeks.

Darrel got a new truck to pull our 5th wheel. Decoration not yet complete. :re:

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2005, 09:18 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default sparrowHawk...

Never served on a COMSERVPAC ship but did come to appreciate how they went about UNREP and the goodies that came over on high line. By tradition the ship being serviced provided the band music and ?Hold That Tiger? was always in there some place and I can still hear it. And sometimes it got real hungry so the refer ship was our best pal ever and good to see come along side, real good. Sometimes we would share bunker fuel oil with a Destroyer so they would come along side for a long drink and of course beg any groceries that we could send over. I reckoned they were always poor mouthing and lying about the groceries but that?s the way of things on the briny blue. The best liar wins I figure, oh well.

Scamp
Attached Images
File Type: gif 2.gif (92.4 KB, 72 views)
Old 05-02-2005, 06:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62
Default Re: sparrowHawk...

Quote:
Originally posted by Seascamp Never served on a COMSERVPAC ship but did come to appreciate how they went about UNREP and the goodies that came over on high line. By tradition the ship being serviced provided the band music and ?Hold That Tiger? was always in there some place and I can still hear it. And sometimes it got real hungry so the refer ship was our best pal ever and good to see come along side, real good. Sometimes we would share bunker fuel oil with a Destroyer so they would come along side for a long drink and of course beg any groceries that we could send over. I reckoned they were always poor mouthing and lying about the groceries but that?s the way of things on the briny blue. The best liar wins I figure, oh well.

Scamp
We had some shipmates who knew guys on some of the small boys. "Items" were sometimes flown to them via one of the carriers helo's. I remember 'auto dog' (ice cream mix), movies and mail being on the top of the list when it came to giving things to the small boys.
The carrier also fueled some of the small boys, it was always a great sight to see them along side.
The Indy's brake away song was "Live and Let Die" and it was blasted over the MC system.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 05-02-2005, 07:17 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Our break away was a real old time locomotive steam whistle set way up on the masthead. It was the only one in the 7th fleet (we picked it up in Australia) and signature sound of the ?Dirty Duce?.

Scamp
Old 05-04-2005, 12:50 PM

So glad the site's back up. In the meantime, I had to keep busy, so I made a new webpage honoring our fallen soldiers:

"They Are Here!"
"http://www.lilripple.com/here.html"
(Adjust your sound and be sure to scroll all the way to the bottom after you read the poem.)

Huggzz,
Nancy "Lilripple" Meek
Old 05-04-2005, 01:20 PM

Oops! I beg your pardon, but I failed Message Board Posting 101. :re:
Just so you don't have to copy and paste, here's a clickable link....

"They Are Here!"...Honoring Our Fallen Soldiers in the Vietnam War
http://www.lilripple.com/here.html

Lilripple